New security measures in place

brettredmayne

6 minutes ago, p.pete said:

It might be something like this - I think they are throwing money at the issue, and sounds like there are tons of security people on site.  Still not sure logistically where they create the space for 20/30 simultaneous bag checks at each gate...

Someone would have mentioned that the gate entrance areas where they do the searches are each 20 times the size of normal by now.

Best they can do is just try and search people a bit more efficiently, so they are possibly doing better searches on the workers going in now as practice. Still can't see how having a name tag on your bag speeds the process up at all though. It's irrelevant putting a name tag on the bag as far as security is concerned. It helps with sorting out lost property, but not a lot else.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are people really suggesting 13 hour queues aren't that bad? In that heat? With all your stuff? Baring in mind that's not even accounting for a second trip? I can queue (and will if needs be) but that's a really shite day.

Is there not a way they can check people's bags whilst they're in the queue or something? 

On the BBC Emily said people would have to queue a 'bit' longer. That could come back to bite her twitter feed in the arse, if things go to shit on Wednesday. But some hope to cling to that it wont be too horredous.

If it's anything like last year, they were at pains to announce that by the evening there were the same amount of people on site as the year before (despite the traffic shitshow). 

The fireworks on Wednesday night will be a bit shit if they've only managed to get a few thousand people through the gates.

20 minutes ago, Alvarhanso said:

maybe my walkers can rest easy then, surely they will just shake the bag!

should have got salt n'shake crisps - would save a lot of undue wrist action :D

23 minutes ago, The60ftOctopus said:

True that. 13 hours doesn't sound too bad

That's ridiculous, 13 hours standing about in this heat and you'll have a public health situation on your hands.

6 minutes ago, stopwn1981 said:

On the BBC Emily said people would have to queue a 'bit' longer. That could come back to bite her twitter feed in the arse, if things go to shit on Wednesday. But some hope to cling to that it wont be too horredous.

If it's anything like last year, they were at pains to announce that by the evening there were the same amount of people on site as the year before (despite the traffic shitshow). 

The fireworks on Wednesday night will be a bit shit if they've only managed to get a few thousand people through the gates.

Is that when she was also talking about a 'really big' secret?  I don't think perspective runs in that family.

In terms of additional space for searching, from the webcam it looks like the space beyond PGA (coming from West car parks and near the chicken shed with solar panels) which usually has queue line fencing snaking around, is empty this year save for a few generators with lighting. As this field also looks like it has been surrounded by steel shield fencing this year my money is on some sort of marshalled area where searches take place in batches before you get up the hill to the gates.

All of the above is based on nothing other than what I can see on the camera and what I remember from previous years in the area in question.

I think it will be fine. I guess maybe an hour longer getting in, rather like gate A a couple of years ago.

They have head meetings galore and will use today to troubleshoot the situation. Pack as light as possible, have lots of water with you and a big smile.

Roll on Wednesday :)

I swore I would never get involved with the queuing business ever again. Last time (2015) I was saddled with a tonne of camping stuff and it was far too hot. 

I would happily volunteer to be searched if it meant jumping great swathes of queue. I'll just let other people save me a pitch next time, it must be my turn by now. In fact, I'm going to swear never to get involved with the queuing business ever again (I say this every year, by the way).

2 hours ago, halfasausage said:

Just got a message from my friend, already on site and working for Oxfam. They are turning away any workers who don't have photo ID.

I wasn't asked for ID. But if you're staff and have been told to bring ID, bring ID, FFS!

15 minutes ago, Kizzie said:

How long have drums been banned, is it just this year? :o

Ah, just seen they have 'now been added to the prohibitive list', so it is a new thing.  The mind boggles. :wacko: 

Just now, vintagelaureate said:

Quick question (probably already covered) - are people labelling everything - tents, chairs, beds etc.? Or just main bags? Thanks! (And sorry!)

Just bags, if security see an unidentified chair they aren't going to worry. An abandoned bag can cause alarm and could be dealt with. To save your bag full of cider being disposed of, stick a label on it!