Glastonbury Mental Health

liamium

16 hours ago, RichardWaller said:

That pretty much sums up my idea of depression, and I know we’ve all got different ideas and experiences and ways to handle it. My way is to drink and eat too much, I know it’s not remotely helpful, it’s just self-sabotage. But to me, depression is feeling like shit and not knowing why. And isn’t that just a load of shit? If you can’t pinpoint what’s making you feel this way, where do you even start?

The hardest part is when I'm having a blip, I start attributing my depression on to any and every possible thing.  I may recognise it as a delusional mind set, that it has little or no rooting in anything in my life but my mind starts to fixate on a specific thing.  The problems arise when my attitudes change towards x & y because of my mind set, which usually causes increased tension in that area and a massive feedback loop of shit.

Breaking those cycles can be hard, sometimes it can't be done and I've just got to ride out the worst of it. 

The trick is to keep riding, keep reminding yourself that this is fake news.  It is nothing more than a delusional mind set that is transient. If you can do a bit of self care, be it exercise or healthy food, great. If not, well, keep riding it out.

As far as dealing with this at Festivals it can be so tough, especially when substances are thrown in the mix but self care and mindfulness becomes a priority.  Take care of yourself.  Focus on the basics and work your way up.  Eat right. Drink water. Take some time out somewhere quiet (Tiny Tea Tent is a shout and a half) to get yourself grounded. Talk to someone, even if it is just to explain how you are feeling or one of your concerns.

Remember that you are not alone in this. Closer to the festival, I'll put up my number on here (or via PM) to anyone who feels they may need a chat over the festival should they need to talk to someone but don't want to feel that they are burdening their friends.

• 4 weeks later...

Despite many threads on here I've never posted. However, after seeing this thread it seemed the perfect time to break that duck. 

I've suffered with bouts of depression and mental health for years and although it didn't come up during my only previous visit to the festival (2017), it's come back with a vengeance since. Now I've got a ticket for 2019 and at the minute it looks like I'm going completely solo (waiting to see if a couple of mates get tickets in the resale), and it's absolutely terrifying me. I'm dreading it as much as I'm looking forward to it, especially if my mates can't get tickets in the resale. 

I've been to loads of gigs on my own and even V a couple of times so I know I can spend time on my own. However, I've never done anything as big or long as Glasto on my own so am absolutely panicking especially as I don't really know my way around the site. I know bits but not all of it and there's still loads that I've not seen. 

I saw that a couple of people have mentioned about the Samaritans tent and was wondering if that's in the same/a similar spot every time or if it moves about the site? And if so where is it normally as I may need to go a couple of times.

I know that it's possible to make new friends at festivals (have done a few times in the past) and I know that Glasto does tend to have the best, open-minded clientele of all of them but am slightly wary as you never know what people are really like which I've learnt to my cost far too many times in the past. And the fact the I'm a trans woman possibly won't endear me to everyone there so am very nervous about that as well. I hadn't come out before the last time I went. I'm not even 100% sure as to where to pitch my tent.

I've seen that people have mentioned about the tea tent, however I'm not a fan of tea or coffee for that matter so was just wondering where the best spots are to sit and chill with a pint/soft drink etc. Would up by the sign be a decent spot? 

Apologies for the essay just panicking a lot so any help would be massively appreciated even if it still months before the festival.

Thanks in advance, 

Liv. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Livvy13 said:

Despite many threads on here I've never posted. However, after seeing this thread it seemed the perfect time to break that duck. 

I've suffered with bouts of depression and mental health for years and although it didn't come up during my only previous visit to the festival (2017), it's come back with a vengeance since. Now I've got a ticket for 2019 and at the minute it looks like I'm going completely solo (waiting to see if a couple of mates get tickets in the resale), and it's absolutely terrifying me. I'm dreading it as much as I'm looking forward to it, especially if my mates can't get tickets in the resale. 

I've been to loads of gigs on my own and even V a couple of times so I know I can spend time on my own. However, I've never done anything as big or long as Glasto on my own so am absolutely panicking especially as I don't really know my way around the site. I know bits but not all of it and there's still loads that I've not seen. 

I saw that a couple of people have mentioned about the Samaritans tent and was wondering if that's in the same/a similar spot every time or if it moves about the site? And if so where is it normally as I may need to go a couple of times.

I know that it's possible to make new friends at festivals (have done a few times in the past) and I know that Glasto does tend to have the best, open-minded clientele of all of them but am slightly wary as you never know what people are really like which I've learnt to my cost far too many times in the past. And the fact the I'm a trans woman possibly won't endear me to everyone there so am very nervous about that as well. I hadn't come out before the last time I went. I'm not even 100% sure as to where to pitch my tent.

I've seen that people have mentioned about the tea tent, however I'm not a fan of tea or coffee for that matter so was just wondering where the best spots are to sit and chill with a pint/soft drink etc. Would up by the sign be a decent spot? 

Apologies for the essay just panicking a lot so any help would be massively appreciated even if it still months before the festival.

Thanks in advance, 

Liv. 

I went solo once in 2003 and had an amazing time. Admittedly my mental health and physical fitness were a hell of a lot better then than they are now, mind. Be great if your mates do manage to get tickets in the resale, but if not there's a thread 

As far as getting to know the site, it's well signposted when you're there and last year's map is still on the official site, I think. Well, it'll be somewhere anyway. If there's owt that changes next year, I'd presume that'll find its way on the internet before we're there anyway. 

I think the Samaritans tent is always to the right of the Pyramid stage. Or maybe one either side? Can't remember. There are a fair few places to escape the bustle though, like you said the tea tent is nice. Course different areas are more or less busy at different times of the day, I quite like walking around South West Corner in the morning or early afternoon, the nights down there can be quite hectic. I love a bit of people watching by West Holts and Green Fields. The Wood is a beautiful little place tucked away, think 2016 was the first time that was opened? Up by the sign is great too, love the view from up there. There's the Healing Fields too, if meditation or massages or anything are your thing. I'm planning on spending a bit more time around there this time, only ever really passed through before. My favourite bit for camping is Oxlyers, but where I end up depends on how lazy I am and how muddy it is...

I know it's easy for me to say, but expect that Glastonbury clientelle are generally going to be more accepting of trans than most other places. It's a proper melting pot, couldn't give a shit so long as you're not a twat. Anyway, whatever you do and however you do it or who with, I hope you have a great time.

Thanks in advance, 

Liv. 

Hi Liv,

And welcome!

And certainly no 'apologies' necessary for a long-ish post.

I'm pretty sure @Quark knows where the tiny tea tent is. Dude?

Also, it might be worth popping into Solo Camping thread...there'll be plenty of people there in exactly the same boat as you...and I'm sure it'll be very welcoming!

If you want any other info. gimme a shout...or just post in here or somewhere in the Questions threads - there's loads of people more than willing to answer any question to do with the festival you can possibly think of!

As a straight male I'm probably not the best placed to give advice RE: LGBTQ issues, but i'm sure there's people here who will? Or perhaps start a thread?!!! Others might be grateful if you do!

Good luck! And: don't panic!!!

Woffy

I've seen that people have mentioned about the tea tent, however I'm not a fan of tea

There's no helping some people :)

I'd suggest it's good to have a couple of go-to places depending on which part of the site you're in at the time.  The sign's a lovely spot, but if you're getting that need to get some space the last thing you want is to face a 15 minute walk to get some peace!

Off the top of my head:

The Wood by John Peel - there's a little café / bar in there with some seats, and if I recall correctly there are logs and whatnot dotted throughout that you can park yourself on.  Made use of that spot myself last year when I wasn't feeling it.

Acoustic Stage - there's a bar, the music is generally pretty chilled and unless it's headline time it's very rarely anywhere near crowded.

The sign up above the Park as you say, you can get a beer from the Stonebridge bar on the way up, and the view's lovely.

Permaculture, Green Futures -& Healing Fields - not sure about the bars, but it's lovely and chilled in those spots.

49 minutes ago, Woffy said:

I'm pretty sure @Quark knows where the tiny tea tent is. Dude?

I may be familiar with it :) Just on the drag between West Holts and Croissant Neuf on the walk up towards the Stone Circle.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Quark said:

There's no helping some people :)

Can't please everyone ? although if they do hot chocolate or soft drinks I may still swing by. 

Thanks for your suggestions guys, I feel a bit better about it all now. If needed I'll definitely head to one of them depending on what's nearest.

Just now, Livvy13 said:

Can't please everyone ? although if they do hot chocolate or soft drinks I may still swing by. 

Thanks for your suggestions guys, I feel a bit better about it all now. If needed I'll definitely head to one of them depending on what's nearest.

They do all sorts. Including a very nice selection of infusions and the like if that's more your thing.  And bloody nice cakes as well :)

4 hours ago, Livvy13 said:

Thanks in advance, 

Liv. 

The stone circle is usually pretty quiet in daytime. I ended up there in 2017 because my head was in a flap. There's enough movement to give you some people-watching distraction but plenty of space to just sit and breathe. Or be having great angst behind your shades like me. What pulled me out was a group who just appeared, complete with double bass and began playing cover versions. Their audience seemed to be a few of their own children at first, then some folks wandered over to dance. I can't remember what they played but they really made me smile. They did about 3 songs then left. And I was back in the game. :)

There's a welfare tent just before the entrance to the stone circle field if you need it. And usually loads of pretty things to sit on on the stroll up from the railway, although busier.

The Wood is fabulous. Plenty of wee nooks.

Regarding the rest, hang around here with a view to maybe attending a meet up (says the woman who's never yet had the gumption or energy at the applicable time to go to one!). :P

5 minutes ago, Quark said:

They do all sorts. Including a very nice selection of infusions and the like if that's more your thing.  And bloody nice cakes as well :)

Sounds like the perfect place to chill out for a bit then. Will have to swing by if I'm around there and in need of some peace & quiet.

1 minute ago, Livvy13 said:

Sounds like the perfect place to chill out for a bit then. Will have to swing by if I'm around there and in need of some peace & quiet.

It's fair to say I'm something of a fan of theirs :D

5 minutes ago, scaryclaireyfairy said:

The stone circle is usually pretty quiet in daytime

I'd never have even thought of that. I just assume it's always full, but then thinking about it I've never been there any time other than post-headliner.

17 minutes ago, shuttlep said:

I have always thought 

if you suffer from anxiety 

ticket day must be an absolute killer

Can't speak for anyone else but for me it's fine although that could be 'cause i'm so focused on getting one that I block the anxiety out, either that or I'm so confident I'll get one that I don't bother worrying too much. 

• Like 1

On 11/27/2018 at 4:06 PM, shuttlep said:

I have always thought 

I'm fairly anxious but probably more pessimistic. Since the registration shit I've not once gone into a ticket day actually expecting to get a ticket, general defence mechanism. It's a bit shit when you go into job interviews not expecting to get a job, health kicks not expecting to stick to em or any other kind of challenge where you're not expecting to succeed cos you think so lowly of yourself, mind.

So when summat goes well, it's a nice surprise. But it's a success that I'm not worthy of. Can't bloody win ?.

• Upvote 1

On 11/27/2018 at 4:06 PM, shuttlep said:

I have always thought 

As an anxious person, the more anxious those around me are, the more relaxed I am (it's a case of 'welcome to my world!') and vice versa.

Ticket day I get a bit nervous about and shaky if I get through to the booking screen, but I'm not that anxious as it doesn't involve social humiliation or death!- I think my main worry on ticket day is more about inputting the wrong details and messing up my friends bookings.

• Like 1

@Livvy13

I've only been once when I've really been having problems with depression and the anxiety has become too much of a thing for me, most times I go it is a holiday from my usual cares and somehow that just works to keep me bobbing on above the waves of everything going shit.  

I use the 50p tea tent in undleground as a quiet stopping off point that I can visit 24 hours a day no matter what and just have a quiet corner where the people are friendly and you can be as alone as you want to be.  They serve fruit juice and such as well or you can just sit on the bench, take the weight off your feet and watch the world go by in a calmer manner.  It is nice to be reminded that it is always there and even at the most crowded, most anxiety inducing points, only ever a few hundred meters away so that the worst I ever have to consider is a walk through crowds to get there.  If a situation becomes too much, that is exactly what I do.  Take myself out of it, calm myself down, have a cuppa, a sit, a spliff and a bit of reflection and then get back on with enjoying the best week of my year.

At the start of the festival, before all the music kicks off and things feel less crowded, explore the site, if you find somewhere that feels calm for you, safe, remember it, make that your place to know you can go and chill if need be. 

With regards to the Samaritans you will be able to find their location on the map ahead of the festival, a detailed map is usually available a few weeks before the festival, but you can find an equally caring and compassionate bunch of people at the welfare points around the site and if you are in crisis they will happily get you a seat on a nice sofa, out of the crowds where you can be alone or with support, if your need is greater than they can provide they will ensure you get to the right people.

Going solo is a challenge on it's own, for sure, but my own experience of camping with strangers I met through this site has been overwhelmingly positive.  Your neighbours are always a lottery at a festival but the beautiful secret of Glastonbury is that everyone is a nicer, happier, friendlier person in those fields.

Sorry for the long reply.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Spindles said:

@Livvy13

I've only been once when I've really been having problems with depression and the anxiety has become too much of a thing for me, most times I go it is a holiday from my usual cares and somehow that just works to keep me bobbing on above the waves of everything going shit.  

I use the 50p tea tent in undleground as a quiet stopping off point that I can visit 24 hours a day no matter what and just have a quiet corner where the people are friendly and you can be as alone as you want to be.  They serve fruit juice and such as well or you can just sit on the bench, take the weight off your feet and watch the world go by in a calmer manner.  It is nice to be reminded that it is always there and even at the most crowded, most anxiety inducing points, only ever a few hundred meters away so that the worst I ever have to consider is a walk through crowds to get there.  If a situation becomes too much, that is exactly what I do.  Take myself out of it, calm myself down, have a cuppa, a sit, a spliff and a bit of reflection and then get back on with enjoying the best week of my year.

At the start of the festival, before all the music kicks off and things feel less crowded, explore the site, if you find somewhere that feels calm for you, safe, remember it, make that your place to know you can go and chill if need be. 

With regards to the Samaritans you will be able to find their location on the map ahead of the festival, a detailed map is usually available a few weeks before the festival, but you can find an equally caring and compassionate bunch of people at the welfare points around the site and if you are in crisis they will happily get you a seat on a nice sofa, out of the crowds where you can be alone or with support, if your need is greater than they can provide they will ensure you get to the right people.

Going solo is a challenge on it's own, for sure, but my own experience of camping with strangers I met through this site has been overwhelmingly positive.  Your neighbours are always a lottery at a festival but the beautiful secret of Glastonbury is that everyone is a nicer, happier, friendlier person in those fields.

Sorry for the long reply.

The beautiful secret of Glastonbury is that everyone is a nicer happier friendly person in those fields.

that just about says everything about Glastonbury. When we left hitchin hill last we we hugged our camp neighbours, said our farewells, never knew their names but we connected. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks again guys. 

I’m now feeling quite a bit better about it all and just about starting to look forward to June again. 

If nothing else comes up on this thread beforehand I hope you all have a very happy Christmas or any other holiday around this time of year. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I was diagnosed with anxiety and depression earlier this year - I think I've probably had it for years but, like a lot of blokes, just swept it under the carpet and struggled on. It definitely hampered Glastonbury 2017 due to the constant worrying about daft stuff in the months/weeks building up to the festival.

I've done some CBT, with another course starting next month, and I've been on antidepressants for around 6 weeks and I'm starting to come out of the slump. The anxiety is definitely being quelled and my mood is starting to lift. I still have the odd worries about the festival, mainly because I'm anxious for everything to go smoothly, but I'm very much looking forward to it. Which is a good thing as the depression tends to kill all excitement/enjoyment.

Edited by StLewi

2 hours ago, StLewi said:

I was diagnosed with anxiety and depression earlier this year - I think I've probably had it for years but, like a lot of blokes, just swept it under the carpet and struggled on. It definitely hampered Glastonbury 2017 due to the constant worrying about daft stuff in the months/weeks building up to the festival.

I've done some CBT, with another course starting next month, and I've been on antidepressants for around 6 weeks and I'm starting to come out of the slump. The anxiety is definitely being quelled and my mood is starting to lift. I still have the odd worries about the festival, mainly because I'm anxious for everything to go smoothly, but I'm very much looking forward to it. Which is a good thing as the depression tends to kill all excitement/enjoyment.

My daughter is a mental health nurse and is doing a post-grad in CBT at the moment.  She's also a regular Glasto goer with our gang (though we've failed with tickets this year).  I'd be interested in how your CBT is going and whether it's helping.

16 minutes ago, grumpyhack said:

My daughter is a mental health nurse and is doing a post-grad in CBT at the moment.  She's also a regular Glasto goer with our gang (though we've failed with tickets this year).  I'd be interested in how your CBT is going and whether it's helping.

The CBT has been a great help, especially for the worry/anxiety. The premise and methods are ridiculously simple, but they give you a toolset to help you better deal with worries and intrusive/negative thoughts. 

Question for those of you on medication but who also like to dabble with other, erm, medication at the festival...

Started taking antidepressant/anti anxiety meds last year after years of putting it off, so this will be my first festival on them. Any tips? Should I take it easier than previous years? Continue taking them as usual? How’s it gonna affect my post-festival self?

Obviously the smart thing to do would be to avoid anything that’s gonna mess with the meds full stop, but that aspect is a big part of Glastonbury for me so isn’t really an option.