Glastonbury Mental Health

liamium

4 hours ago, H.M.V said:

I found beta blockers brilliant for dealing with a particularly bad episode of the sads. I didn't want anti depressants and was waiting for CBT sessions. Got me driving again after 2 months of the motor sitting idle. A somewhere in between option for managing anxiety. 

Beta blockers are what I now take for anxiety. They work to control the fight or flight response which triggers panic attacks. 

I know people who take them for presentations and public speaking to overcome stage fright. They work. I also had a weird phase of getting panic when I was driving, never so bad that I was dangerous but it was an awful feeling. I'll probably pop a propranolol for the long motorway drive to Glastonbury! They don't impair you and allow to feel less affected by stress. 

Edited by Trout Mask Replica

I've also suffered from varying levels of anxiety, depression, and OCD, all the way up to severe or clinical at times. I'm also on the spectrum for autism (as a lot of people are without realising), towards the high functioning end.

Glastonbury is absolutely the best and worst place to go when you're like me. Its a place for me to escape the fears I have in everyday life, but at the same time a place to face those very same fears and overcome them.

I've had numerous panic attacks at bigger stages, especially in the evening. Large crowds of people are really not my thing because of the complexity of the social interactions happening all around me, its all so impossible to map and make sense of within my own head and its difficult to come up with the appropriate responses in situations like those. But for me it is its own solution as I treat this as a type of immersion therapy, and for me at least, it works!

Dance and music themselves are brilliant healers, and have allowed me to steer clear of having to take prescribed drugs to handle my issues. Just closing your eyes and moving your body to the music is the ultimate escape, but it can also bring you closer to others and help you to form those momentary bonds with people around you. Dancing absolutely has given me the confidence to overcome any mental problems I have faced.

And the beauty of glasto is that if in doubt, the Green Fields is always just round the corner.

I've suffered from anxiety for as long as I can remember, I've had times at Glasto which have triggered this, but overall I barely notice it all weekend, and end up doing things I wouldn't dream of in "normal life" such as talking to random people, or doing things not in my comfort zone etc. I wish I could feel as confident all the time as I do at glasto, but the world just isn't as welcoming or warm as we all wish it could be, maybe one day it will be?

Hi.  Lots of great practical advice in here, and I don't have much to add other than everyone please be kind to yourselves.  There is so much pressure nowadays to have great experiences (or be seen to have them, I HATE social media).  Do what you want to do.  Don't feel that you have to see every band / DJ.  If you want to just sit and chill on the grass for five days do that.  Don't feel pressured to do what everyone else is, find what makes you calm and happy and do that.  And then own it.  Don't feel anxious our guilty about what you missed, remember that what you did made you happy.  Sorry, I'm rambling a bit I'm a little drunk.  But most of all be kind to yourselves xx

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Trout Mask Replica said:

Beta blockers are what I now take for anxiety. They work to control the fight or flight response which triggers panic attacks. 

They are an absolute godsend.  I have a health condition which means that my lungs collapse spontaneously from time to time, but quite often they are on the edge of that and the panic that comes with knowing what you are on the edge of is really hard to deal with.  I've been back on them for a few months now and honestly it is life changing.  I'd heartily recommend anyone who suffers major anxiety issues discuss them with their GP.

After struggling with anxiety and depression for much of my life, I've been a qualified counsellor for quite a few years now.

I always think of it as focusing on mental and emotional health rather than just mental health. A few people have mentioned CBT, but the other main talking therapy is called person-centred counselling (which is what I do), which people might find useful if CBT wasn't a good fit for them.

For all the talk by politicians about the importance of mental health, I'd say services are getting worse as choice is being taken out of the equation and number of sessions offered are being cut- their also trying to push prescribing a website based treatment rather than face to face because it's cheap, which is daft because the relationship between therapist and client is often the most important help (backed up by multiple studies!) and when you're suffering, often human contact makes all the difference (even though you want to avoid people).

A few people have spoken about panic attacks, so I thought I would share this video which explains what is happening when you freak out (whether it be panic attack, blind rage, or whatever! That moment where you stop thinking and just flip out) in a way that even I could understand! (neurobiology is not my forte!) - I sometimes demonstrate it to my clients and some of them have found it useful, as knowing what's going on sometimes helps settle people:

9 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

After struggling with anxiety and depression for much of my life, I've been a qualified counsellor for quite a few years now.

I always think of it as focusing on mental and emotional health rather than just mental health. A few people have mentioned CBT, but the other main talking therapy is called person-centred counselling (which is what I do), which people might find useful if CBT wasn't a good fit for them.

For all the talk by politicians about the importance of mental health, I'd say services are getting worse as choice is being taken out of the equation and number of sessions offered are being cut- their also trying to push prescribing a website based treatment rather than face to face because it's cheap, which is daft because the relationship between therapist and client is often the most important help (backed up by multiple studies!) and when you're suffering, often human contact makes all the difference (even though you want to avoid people).

A few people have spoken about panic attacks, so I thought I would share this video which explains what is happening when you freak out (whether it be panic attack, blind rage, or whatever! That moment where you stop thinking and just flip out) in a way that even I could understand! (neurobiology is not my forte!) - I sometimes demonstrate it to my clients and some of them have found it useful, as knowing what's going on sometimes helps settle people:

When I went to gp was given number for let's talk 2gether, which was a phone based thing. Hated it, as you say need a personal connection. Fortunately they do make exceptions and I was able to see someone. Can't say CBT was useful for me to be honest, but a lot of the anxiety was coming from an at the time unknown medical condition affecting fight or flight reaction.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2016/may/17/magic-mushrooms-lift-severe-depression-in-clinical-trial

For depression sufferers, this article above is worth a look.

Not to be tried at the festival itself the first time,  but as a way of easing depression several of my friends and I have found a seasonal dose to be extremely helpful the last couple of years.

Somewhere quiet in nature with a couple of good buddies.

The trials are showing one or two doses have very beneficial effects for 3 months or so.

In general, we have lost touch with the cycle of the year and connection to nature. I think, done properly,  the psychedic experience plugs us back into both. 

Not for everyone, but is a very low toxicity, non addictive and organic way to shift habitual mental states.

I have generalised anxiety disorder and suffer panic attacks have done since I was 10, am now  37 have had cbt and take escitalopram. I went to glasto last year for the first time and went on my own!!!! After being in a relationship and a fairly controlling one for 14 years I wanted to do something on my own to see if I could! I joined the solo polo group and camped with them. I had an amazing time although, I did have some very overwhelmingly emotional moments where I felt lost. I wonder if anyone has heard of any good spots to go on site that I could visit in times where I feel a bit sad? I didn't do the healing fields but is it worth a look? Xx

ps brilliant post btw love the support that people give it's everything that makes glasto so so amazing x

5 minutes ago, jennilily said:

I have generalised anxiety disorder and suffer panic attacks have done since I was 10, am now  37 have had cbt and take escitalopram. I went to glasto last year for the first time and went on my own!!!! After being in a relationship and a fairly controlling one for 14 years I wanted to do something on my own to see if I could! I joined the solo polo group and camped with them. I had an amazing time although, I did have some very overwhelmingly emotional moments where I felt lost. I wonder if anyone has heard of any good spots to go on site that I could visit in times where I feel a bit sad? I didn't do the healing fields but is it worth a look? Xx

ps brilliant post btw love the support that people give it's everything that makes glasto so so amazing x

Thanks for sharing and good for you for taking the plunge with your solo Glasto baptism of fire.

Healing fields, green futures certainly a good place to head when everything's getting a bit much. lots of places to just sit and people watch, observe somebody making something incredible. the lovely thing about being there is that nobody seems to be in this huge panic to get somewhere else.

I'm working on a map that highlights all of these refuge points but off the top of my head it's worth considering the theatre & circus fields (lots of fun and smiles, plenty of room to move about unhindered) the fields above the park are nice and spacious with lovely views, the tiny tea tent is one of my favourite spots for a brew in a proper mug in nice surroundings, and the guys that run it are lovely and friendly :)

On Saturday, May 13, 2017 at 1:28 PM, H.M.V said:

I had a right wobble two years ago and ended up sitting by the fire of a welfare tent near croissant neuf. Just needed to chill and calm down. Ended up chatting to efester. Love this place. 

Was that me? That's where I met you

56 minutes ago, jennilily said:

Definitely recommend the healing fields/ Green futures. Loads of quiet places to chill out and I spent a lovely sunny hour or so under a little bamboo dome there with ribbons fluttering in the wind just having a bit of time out. It fast became one of my favourite areas of the festival so it's definitely worth spending some time there! 

2 hours ago, slash's hat said:

When I went to gp was given number for let's talk 2gether, which was a phone based thing. Hated it, as you say need a personal connection. Fortunately they do make exceptions and I was able to see someone. Can't say CBT was useful for me to be honest, but a lot of the anxiety was coming from an at the time unknown medical condition affecting fight or flight reaction.

I'm not a fan of CBT either- I think people should just be given a choice of a selection of things that are on offer.

With the NHS, Usually they'll do a telephone assessment first- my tip is that if you know what you want, insist on it (if it's counselling you want push the fact you're depressed as bizarrely it's mainly only offered as a last resort for depression, and don't get fobbed off with anything else- usually they'll try to gently persuade you against the more expensive (for them) , longer waiting list things onto cheaper, quicker, alternatives (PLP, Internet crap, group stuff) these things have fewer shorter sessions, if any at all and some are just there to save them time and money.

It's also worth looking what charity sector counselling is on offer in your area- sometimes you get lucky and they offer more sessions than you'd get on the nhs- think there are some good cancer support ones out there, and sometimes services for those who have experienced rape or sexual abuse, but sometimes there are also some for general issues.

Its a real lottery out there unfortunately (the claim that the gvt is bringing in parity of mental health care with physical is absolute bollocks), and sometimes there's a real mixed bag of therapists too. You'll know the right help and support when you find it, though. 

1 hour ago, BlackZeppelin said:

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2016/may/17/magic-mushrooms-lift-severe-depression-in-clinical-trial

For depression sufferers, this article above is worth a look.

Not to be tried at the festival itself the first time,  but as a way of easing depression several of my friends and I have found a seasonal dose to be extremely helpful the last couple of years.

Somewhere quiet in nature with a couple of good buddies.

The trials are showing one or two doses have very beneficial effects for 3 months or so.

In general, we have lost touch with the cycle of the year and connection to nature. I think, done properly,  the psychedic experience plugs us back into both. 

Not for everyone, but is a very low toxicity, non addictive and organic way to shift habitual mental states.

There was also an article in some counselling journal that suggested MDMA could be very good for post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). It is my dream to help test these theories out! :lol:

6 hours ago, Mr.Tease said:

There was also an article in some counselling journal that suggested MDMA could be very good for post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). It is my dream to help test these theories out! :lol:

Yep, a psychiatrist/ PTSD expert Bessell Van Der Kolk has written a book called The Body Keeps The Score,  about the best approaches to PTSD.

He ranks MDMA and body work including Yoga , and biofeedback above all forms of talk therapy.

For traumatized returned war veterans he says nothing comes close to MDMA.

42 minutes ago, BlackZeppelin said:

Yep, a psychiatrist/ PTSD expert Bessell Van Der Kolk has written a book called The Body Keeps The Score,  about the best approaches to PTSD.

He ranks MDMA and body work including Yoga , and biofeedback above all forms of talk therapy.

For traumatized returned war veterans he says nothing comes close to MDMA.

I think MDMA really helped me with my depression when I was younger- I credit it with helping me reconnect with myself, and helping me talk about what was going on for me (I know people have a tendency to say they were talking complete cobblers once they've sobered up, but I think that's because they're a bit embarrassed). Of course there are people who have bad experiences on it and also the come downs eventually become brutal and can leave you feeling suicidal so I'm certainly not recommending it to others! 

Indeed I would say person centred counselling is essentially about trying to simulate the conditions or at least conversation type that are common when on MDMA - the aim is for the therapist to offer the core conditions of empathy (understanding), congruence (realness) and unconditional positive regard (non judgemental acceptance) which allows the client to explore their issues and reconnect with and process their feelings.

I think it's definitely worth more proper research being done, but bizarrely governments seem quite content to pump out the current anti depressants, yet oppose MDMA at every turn.  

Had a bit of a mini wobble over the weekend, think a realisation of the fact I'm doing my first solo trip (and yes I know, never alone at Glastonbury :)) properly hit me.

Think I'll be spending a lot of time around the Green Fields, T&C and Leftfield, all the interactive stuff seems like it can only help if you're feeling a bit isolated. Would be interested to know how those who go solo handle wobbles!

20 hours ago, liamium said:

I'm working on a map that highlights all of these refuge points but off the top of my head it's worth considering the theatre & circus fields (lots of fun and smiles, plenty of room to move about unhindered) the fields above the park are nice and spacious with lovely views, the tiny tea tent is one of my favourite spots for a brew in a proper mug in nice surroundings, and the guys that run it are lovely and friendly :)

Are you going to share this  map here liamium?  Would be a fantastic resource.  What a great, truly life-affirming thread.

11 hours ago, Mr.Tease said:

I think MDMA really helped me with my depression when I was younger- I credit it with helping me reconnect with myself, and helping me talk about what was going on for me (I know people have a tendency to say they were talking complete cobblers once they've sobered up, but I think that's because they're a bit embarrassed). Of course there are people who have bad experiences on it and also the come downs eventually become brutal and can leave you feeling suicidal so I'm certainly not recommending it to others! 

Indeed I would say person centred counselling is essentially about trying to simulate the conditions or at least conversation type that are common when on MDMA - the aim is for the therapist to offer the core conditions of empathy (understanding), congruence (realness) and unconditional positive regard (non judgemental acceptance) which allows the client to explore their issues and reconnect with and process their feelings.

I think it's definitely worth more proper research being done, but bizarrely governments seem quite content to pump out the current anti depressants, yet oppose MDMA at every turn. 

I also trained as a person-centred counsellor,  but will use anything that works for a client, including CBT techniques.  As you say the most important thing is the relationship between client and therapist;  to some extent the theoretical approach is irrelevant.  Experiencing the undivided attention of another human being is a very powerful (and rare) thing.  Add to that the acceptance which is essential in therapy and abundant at Glastonbury, and it's clear why the festival has therapeutic moments for so many people.

I'd also make a case for EMDR (eye movement desensitisation and reprocessing)  therapy for  post traumatic stress.  It's worked miracles for my son's extreme anxiety about school, giving him techniques which calm him in seconds and have made the possibility of a return to school seem real.  CBT is useless for him as he can't identify his thought processes or figure out what the anxiety is about,  but EMDR doesn't require this so has been brilliant for him.

@alien my son is also on the autistic spectrum, but he loves Glastonbury as he can interact with others as much or little as he likes, and the 'normal' rules of social interaction don't apply.  I would probably have a diagnosis too if I could be bothered to be assessed, but find the festival so freeing, a place where I can be my weird self and not be judged.  If there is a rule, it's 'be kind'.  If only that was the case outside the fence.

37 minutes ago, dizzymoo said:

I also trained as a person-centred counsellor,  but will use anything that works for a client, including CBT techniques.  As you say the most important thing is the relationship between client and therapist;  to some extent the theoretical approach is irrelevant.  Experiencing the undivided attention of another human being is a very powerful (and rare) thing.  Add to that the acceptance which is essential in therapy and abundant at Glastonbury, and it's clear why the festival has therapeutic moments for so many people.

I'd also make a case for EMDR (eye movement desensitisation and reprocessing)  therapy for  post traumatic stress.  It's worked miracles for my son's extreme anxiety about school, giving him techniques which calm him in seconds and have made the possibility of a return to school seem real.  CBT is useless for him as he can't identify his thought processes or figure out what the anxiety is about,  but EMDR doesn't require this so has been brilliant for him.

@alien my son is also on the autistic spectrum, but he loves Glastonbury as he can interact with others as much or little as he likes, and the 'normal' rules of social interaction don't apply.  I would probably have a diagnosis too if I could be bothered to be assessed, but find the festival so freeing, a place where I can be my weird self and not be judged.  If there is a rule, it's 'be kind'.  If only that was the case outside the fence.

It really amazes me how so many people can fly under the radar with autism. I've studied up to a masters level in Psychology, granted not mental health/disability focused, but nevertheless my own autism wasn't apparent to myself until my early 20s. At the age of 13 I did have my suspicions and approached a GP, but he said that if I did have it the education system would've picked up on it by now. So yeah, no formal diagnoses for autism yet, or any other conditions for that matter, and I doubt I'll change that unless they really stop me functioning.

I agree with you on the therapeutic relationship, very important. For Glasto, I'd argue that many people personify the festival itself and that getting tickets in the first place is a form of acceptance. I've only been twice but I crave those "I'm home" and "hello old friend" feelings that come with first setting up camp, even walking through the gates. It is like counselling, except annually instead of weekly.

On 2017-5-15 at 7:30 AM, Quark said:

Had a bit of a mini wobble over the weekend, think a realisation of the fact I'm doing my first solo trip (and yes I know, never alone at Glastonbury :)) properly hit me.

Think I'll be spending a lot of time around the Green Fields, T&C and Leftfield, all the interactive stuff seems like it can only help if you're feeling a bit isolated. Would be interested to know how those who go solo handle wobbles!

I remember an afternoon in 2014. I spent most of the day alone because i'd woken up completely unable to hold a conversation with anyone in my group, and worrying that I was gonna bring the collective mood down I decided to take the day alone rather than field the usual questions about why I wasn't having a good time. Plagued all morning by this growing sensation that everyone was looking at me, that everyone could tell I was freaking out, I could barely look up from the ground as I marched towards the T&C field, knowing that once I got there everything would be fine. Found myself a spot in the dark of the cabaret tent and calmed down, let the acts wash over me, gradually find myself enjoying the jokes. Half an hour later I felt solid enough to slowly make my way to the rear of a main stage crowd for whatever it was I wanted to see.

It's a similar sort of relief I find when going to the cinema in the day. Only a handful of other people, and with the lights down I feel less scrutinised and can focus on the thing in front of me. Really sorts me out :)

• Upvote 3