Glastonbury Mental Health

liamium

1 hour ago, DeanoL said:

The one thing I find can be a downside when it comes to anxiety on this board is that we all talk about the festival like it's the most important thing in the world and a very big deal.

What really helped me was realising it wasn't.

Glastonbury is great, but it is just a festival at heart. It's not a life-changing experience, it's not heaven on earth, it's not a 24-hour, five day party. It's all those things to *some people* but it's not that to everyone. And I used to find putting that sort of pressure on *it* actually then put that pressure on me. The idea I was doing it wrong if I wasn't getting out of it what they were.

It's fine to just go along and see some bands you want to see, eat some nice food, check out a bit of comedy of theatre, maybe have a couple of drinks. Treat it more like a city-break than a festival.

It's fine to go back to your tent after the headliners, or even before them if nothing takes your fancy. It's fine to go back to your tent mid-afternoon and read a book for an hour. It's fine to be on your phone and checking in with the real world. It's fine to give a mate back home a call if you just need a chat. It's fine to leave if you really aren't enjoying it (and as someone else mentioned, having an exit plan - so knowing how you can get home via shuttle bus/train and not being reliant on a lift and so feeling "stuck" really helps). 

The notion that Glastonbury is some magical place almost out of time is a fantasy that we kind of buy into on here. It's almost heretical to remind people it's just a field near Bristol with some bands on. It's got a phone signal and 24-hour transport links.

There's no right or wrong way to do the festival, you are allowed to meet it on your own terms.

Yeah, 100% agree with this. It used to really be my main focus of the year, with everything building up to it, which I realise now was also a factor of being quite unfulfilled in many other areas. The other downside of that of course is if you make your whole year focused on five days in June, the crushing feeling of it being over is very hard to take. Especially if it's a fallow year afterwards.

I think I have a healthier approach to it now. I still love it, but I have it a little more in perspective. And I'm really looking forward to this year after a stressful two years for a bit of an escape. It won't all be perfect, but I won't try to make it that.

It is great though :) 

Actually, further to the above point, the one thing that really made me get the festival in perspective was to take a year off. It wasn't my choice initially (I didn't get a ticket for the second time in the main sale) but making the choice to not try the resale and do something else was quite empowering. Heinous to say here of course. 

17 hours ago, Spindles said:

Dude, when I was having a mental health crisis a few years ago you were a rock, providing me with the peace of mind of knowing that there was someone out there who would understand if I needed to speak to someone.  I never needed to because that knowledge was what I needed and I thank you for it.

If there is anything, anything at all that I can do should you need it, please let me know.

Thank you for your kind words. Trust me I will be in touch soon. Hopefully we will meet for a beer.

For those concerned at missing out or dropping out, Glastonbury is not the ONLY festival but it is unique, There are so many quiet and safe spaces you can go to from the Info points to the Green Fields. I used to do 12 festivals a year and I always found Glastonbury a get away. That was for many reason but camping with a large group was one. At Glasto I worked and had time out to get away from it all during an 8 hour shift, It meant I did not have to perform with my mania. I am going with my eldest son this year and I am certain he will keep on top of me. Not in a weird way, we have our own tents, I think you get my meaning.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Jah_Roots said:

mornin everyone sorry but just need to put pen to paper as it were...

i've never posted on this thread before but i have had OCD for, well i cant remember ever not having it, and over the years it has morphed into depression and various anxieties... the medication i have been on for a few years now has really helped to even things out but i basically still live in a constant cycle of peaks and troughs...

so anyway friday night saw me sliding into a black hole which stayed with me the whole weekend... i'm at work now which is ok actually as it means i had to get out of bed even tho i would still rather be locked away from the world.. 

but as always with this i know i just have to hang on and sooner or later there will be visible light and i will get out the other end.

but its really made me scared - these past few days have been the worst for the long time and its made me remember how when its there it feels like theres nothing you can do even though one half of your brain can quite clearly see how destructive the other half is being.. 

i cant tell you how many events i have ruined for not just myself but other too - i also cant really express just how much i am looking forward to the festival this year.... but whats getting to me now is what if this happens at festival time... 

sorry - not looking anything here just wanted to write a bunch of stuff and try and get it out... i dont use OCD forums anymore as to be honest it just made things worse...

anyways, sorry, have a good day everyone.

Hey, just wanted to reach out and say, you know, from what you write, that you are in the hard part right now. This is the bit where clinging on and shuffling one foot in front of the other, baby steps, is all you can do. I'm not going to be flippant and say, you'll be fine at the festival. You might not be. You might have a bad hour, or day... Have you ever made a list of the places you can go - from quiet places where you feel at ease to more obvious support, like the Samaritans or medical staff? If you knew there was somewhere in different bits of the festival site that you could head straight for when you're having a bad moment, it might be helpful? Sending you good vibes - the good bit will come round again ?

8 hours ago, Jah_Roots said:

i've never posted on this thread before but i have had OCD for, well i cant remember ever not having it, and over the years it has morphed into depression and various anxieties... the medication i have been on for a few years now has really helped to even things out but i basically still live in a constant cycle of peaks and troughs...

so anyway friday night saw me sliding into a black hole which stayed with me the whole weekend... i'm at work now which is ok actually as it means i had to get out of bed even tho i would still rather be locked away from the world.. 

but as always with this i know i just have to hang on and sooner or later there will be visible light and i will get out the other end.

but its really made me scared - these past few days have been the worst for the long time and its made me remember how when its there it feels like theres nothing you can do even though one half of your brain can quite clearly see how destructive the other half is being.. 

i cant tell you how many events i have ruined for not just myself but other too - i also cant really express just how much i am looking forward to the festival this year.... but whats getting to me now is what if this happens at festival time... 

sorry - not looking anything here just wanted to write a bunch of stuff and try and get it out... i dont use OCD forums anymore as to be honest it just made things worse...

That sucks bud.  Not a lot I can offer, and it doesn't sound like you came looking for answers anyway, so just going to do the good vibes thing.  I don't know how much you find having positive things to look forward to helps or not, but if it does then remember you've got something awesome coming up in a few short weeks to look forward to!

Know what you mean though, sometimes it's just good to get it off your chest to people who aren't going to follow up with well meaning stories of just how bad their experiences have been, or a lengthy list of "have you tried..."

Fingers crossed you're on the up soon

9 hours ago, Jah_Roots said:

This is me too...also been suffering lately and fortunately coming out the other side as the light is shining much brighter now and as I'm sure you know it will for you too so just hang in there.

We are all different so I can't say how the festival will be for you but for me it's the brightest shining light on the planet and I am never ever in a more happier environment than when I am at Worthy Farm...hope you have a stress, depression and anxiety free Glasto ?

I've suffered from anxiety, depression and ptsd for years but I wouldn't say it's ALL ABOUT glastonbury... Glastonbury is just a trigger or can be,, I'm the same if it's glastonbury or the cricketers (pub).. 

Funny thing is I've just come back from a couple of weeks normal me and the wife holiday and because I didn't have to live in the real world... Sound familiar :-glasto...... I only had a few panic attacks 

All these mind things are completely different and very complicated and triggers can be anything from a sound to a smell.. One of mine is watching a festival on TV or the sound of the waves.. But one thing we all have to remember is that your not alone and I hope every one gets through it 

Maybe I'll see you on the other side.. G

11 hours ago, Jah_Roots said:

I'm glad you felt you wanted to write this. Thanks.

• Upvote 1

I’m glad that this thread popped up.

Since my last (and 1st) Glastonbury in 2017 I have suffered massively with my mental health. I have done for years on & off but last year was my worse year by far.

My anxiety is awful and I have gone from being a fast lane driver on the M1 to not going on the motorway at all and panicking at gigs when in large crowds. 

Can anyone recommend any decent chilled out places near to the big stages like Piramid, JP, Other etc that I can go to when the crowds after acts etc are busy? 

12 hours ago, Jah_Roots said:

Thanks for the words. 

I've been struggling today. Last week I thought that i was ready to start coming off my antidepressants (ive been reducing my dose over the last few months so was ready as I was going to be) so started taking them on alternate days. I started off fine, I was sleeping well, waking up easier and my mood was generally pretty good, so good that I felt that I didn't need to take my meds.

Yesterday evening I started getting dizzy and lightheaded and it took me far too long to realise why I was feeling that along with dark intrusive thoughts that were creeping in far too often.

So I've got back on my meds, obviously it hasn't made me feel any better. If anything, the tiredness and empty feeling has made my birthday extremely hard to enjoy. Thankfully I've got a supportive girlfriend so understands what I'm going through and how best to manage me but God damn, it's not been a picnic. 

What I'm trying to take from it is that I've got through today, as I will the next and the day after that. That's not to say I'm not apprehensive about my mental health and G but despite the darkness, I've made it this far so I must be doing something right?

1 hour ago, CeriG said:

I’m glad that this thread popped up.

Since my last (and 1st) Glastonbury in 2017 I have suffered massively with my mental health. I have done for years on & off but last year was my worse year by far.

My anxiety is awful and I have gone from being a fast lane driver on the M1 to not going on the motorway at all and panicking at gigs when in large crowds. 

Can anyone recommend any decent chilled out places near to the big stages like Piramid, JP, Other etc that I can go to when the crowds after acts etc are busy? 

The Woods behind the JP (not sure of their official name - it might be just that!) is a great place to take yourself off if you're up that way and it's all a bit too much. 

I was going through a lot last time out and needed to some time away, so I took myself to the Greenfields/Craft areas away from the bulk of the crowd. Sometimes it's good to be with your own thoughts.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Jah_Roots said:

So what if it happens during the festival? It sucks, sure. But you know it happens and until you get right it’s something you have to deal with. So worst case it happens at the festival, there’s probably more support available for you there than at home (Samaritans in person for one) but maybe you don’t take that and just retreat to your tent. That’s okay. Maybe you miss a day of the festival. Or even two. That’s okay. Not ideal I know, we’ve all paid our money, but if you can’t face it then it’s fine. Enjoying Glastonbury isn’t compulsory - what you are going through sucks, I know, but it could happen any time and it’s always going to suck. 

After never experiencing any mental health issues for most of my life the last couple of years I have suffered quite badly from depression and sometimes anxiety also. I’m very fortunate in that other than sometimes before a big event, things like Glastonbury where I am almost entirely excited and looking forward to my issues seem to largely disappear. Glastonbury is not a time when I feel it affects me much at all. Despite the many highs and lows that a festival brings, a whole week of doing nothing but enjoyable activities with some great friends is an escape from what can be a daily struggle: I’m v fortunate in this respect and it’s very interesting to read others stories about suffering at the festival. I’ve never heard about there being much support for things like this at festivals so threads like this are definitely positive and must be incredibly helpful for those that suffer during one of our favourite times of the year.

18 minutes ago, Jah_Roots said:

i can only speak from personal experience - but if i have ANY variation in my medication it has a huge effect on me.

if, for whatever reason, i miss a day taking my meds i can be sure that about a week or so later there will be a knock-on effect and i will have a terrible crash that will usually last a week or so.

even if i vary the time i take them (i take mine very first thing in the morning when i get up, i have found that this works best for me) if say i take them in the afternoon one day, even this will have a noticeable negative affect a few days later that will take a few days to even out again.

the meds i am on now i actually found that a "medium" dose works best for me - obviously at the beginning when i started on them i wanted the highest dose possible - more drugs = feeling better yeah? well weirdly i found that a higher dose had a negative effect, so tried slightly lower and had a noticeable positive change...

anyway, sorry, i think my point is that any change in your medication will have an impact until the level has evened itself out and you can feel the real effect, whether that be positive or negative...

i know you know all this anyway, i dont mean this in anyway to come across patronising or anything.

It's all good, brother. It's nice to know that there's other people in a similar boat. 

I used to notice if  I missed my dose but the last few times I haven't.  Even the days that followed everything felt 'stable' so thought I could give it a go.  When I was alternating the days I took them, I felt pretty good but I should have kept on that schedule for a bit longer before stopping completely.  I couldn't understand at first why it felt like I was going through the comedown from hell on monday evening, that lonely molecule of serotonin must have been working his socks off.

The good news is that I feel a lot better today.  Being back at work helps, as well as knowing that the worst is behind me.  

Not sure if this is of any help (or interest!) but it's something I sometimes show my clients who are struggling with anxiety/panic attacks or uncontrollable rages. It was kind of done to help explain to children what's happening neurologically when they have these meltdowns, but I like it as an adult (finally helped me to understand a bit of basic neurological-biology!).

The idea is that by understanding what's happening, it can help you be aware of when you're ready to flip out, and sometimes even visualising can help ground you before you get to that point. It doesn't work for everybody, but I found it quite interesting and helpful myself (more for understanding than changing anything).

Edited by Mr.Tease

1 hour ago, Rufus Gwertigan said:

Off topic but has anyone encountered difficulties bringing medication in with them? I take 9 drugs and I was planning to bring my repeat prescription slip but was just wondering if anyone has had problems if searched. 

Have never had problems taking my meds in. Should be all good :)

I know it was mentioned previously, but nothing came of it. Any interest in a Whatsapp group and possibly a meet up at the festival? 

4 hours ago, Rufus Gwertigan said:

Off topic but has anyone encountered difficulties bringing medication in with them? I take 9 drugs and I was planning to bring my repeat prescription slip but was just wondering if anyone has had problems if searched. 

I've never had issues but I bring my repeat prescription slip and also keep them in their original packaging, just in case. I guess if you are bringing something that could be recreationally used, you could get a note from your doctor too

12 hours ago, Rufus Gwertigan said:

I take my meds ...glass  insulin cartridges and needles ( for diabetes ) was searched last year they didn't ask for prescription slip but i did state what I had before they looked in my bag 

• 2 weeks later...

So now that the festival is drawing closer how are people feeling.. 

I keep swaying from going... Not going.... Definitely going etc especially with the weather.. After I smashed my ankle in 09 I've always dreaded the big M.. And my anxiety levels are all over the place.. 

How's everyone else.. I'm hoping for all of you to be TOP OF THE RANGE OLD SONS but I know it might not be the case for all. G