Would a ballot be a fairer system?

thesaint78

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, mjsell said:

This isnt a terrible idea.

I'm very against a ballot like most. For things like Wimbledon/ Olympics I think ballot's are an okay way to do it, but glastonbury have some different factors involved - which I'm sure have been discussed at length in here (I couldnt be arsed to read it all)

Being someone that has a perfect 8-0 failing record in the sales (the streak is still going!), but still having got tickets for 2 Glastonbury's now, I do understand the more friends more chance argument. Maybe a system like you say where you have to sign in before attempting for tickets has some legs in making it slightly fairer, it would still favour big groups but not as much.

Yeah think it's actually a really good idea too, you have to be registered and also logged in to try for tickets, if you get through you can buy 6 like now, but then you can't buy any more after that. It would stop people getting in again and again so spread the tickets out more.

Having said all that it could still be gamed in its own way, unless the person signed in also had to be one of the 6, because you could register your Mum dad and milkman separately and just use their login to buy tickets for the rest of your mates.

1 hour ago, The Nal said:

Putting the cynical hat on for a sec, they had to get very erm, "creative" with the tickets to sell it out. Ie they were selling day tickets and have to assume were giving them away too.

Either way the festival doesnt assume itll sell out every year.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/somerset/content/articles/2008/10/02/glastonbury_ticket_feature.shtml

Don't think they actually sold day tickets, that would be pretty impossible to regulate. I think they may have upped the Sunday local tickets slightly, which the article has given slightly undue prominence to.

(Loads of competitions and freebies around though, I agree)

Edited by strummer77

Decided to read the whole thread to see if anyone had made the point I wanted to make and I'm glad they had, the idea that someone having gone to glasto before and thus knowing just how good it is being more entitled to someone who hasn't been is absurd. My first year was 2009 and decided to buy tickets on a whim as festival season approaching, I wouldn't wanna take that from anyone else because at the start of winter they weren't thinking about it yet. Obviously the resale is hardly buying things on a whim but you know what I mean.

Also the slowly let them out over 12hours thing seems silly as well, I'd probably be up for doing it if that's what it takes but I don't really wanna spend 5 days with 137000 people who're happy to also do that I want a decent mix of people there, newbies and old school people, not an elitist hippy club (No offence).

At the end of day we obviously all love this festival which is why we all log on to a site every day to either talk about it or watch people talk about it, but it isn't ours by any means. And the people who like it less arent the enemy.

3 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Yeah think it's actually a really good idea too, you have to be registered and also logged in to try for tickets, if you get through you can buy 6 like now, but then you can't buy any more after that. It would stop people getting in again and again so spread the tickets out more.

Having said all that it could still be gamed in its own way, unless the person signed in also had to be one of the 6, because you could register your Mum dad and milkman separately and just use their login to buy tickets for the rest of your mates.

Yeah the person signed in could only buy their's and 5 others (or 3 and 1 depending on which sale obvs). And once they have tickets secured their registration login can't buy any more in any future sale.

Would need to deal with stopping multiple logins on one registration number - which would then limit everyone to one browser/device? (I don't know how that would work)

1 hour ago, JoBalls said:

Actually I would change one more thing...

I'd have it so that once you'd put your registration numbers in the tickets were effectively "held" for two minutes or so, to give you a chance to fill in the rest of the information needed.

It looked like that was actually implemented in the Coach sales last Thursday and the Resale yesterday. There was a nice clear 5 minute countdown after entering registrations and hitting Proceed (or maybe 4 mins, hey I was in a rush!). So your wish has been granted!

11 minutes ago, strummer77 said:

Don't think they actually sold day tickets, that would be pretty impossible to regulate. I think they may have upped the Sunday local tickets slightly, which the article has given slightly undue prominence to.

(Loads of competitions and freebies around though, I agree)

Maybe yeah but they were shifting them whatever way possible. In HMV with no reg needed. 10,000 tickets left two weeks before the festival apparently. They did a great job to be fair.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2008/jun/11/glastonbury.festivals

27 minutes ago, russycarps said:

I'm with you on this! Ashcroft was supreme that night. It probably helped that my expectations couldnt have been any lower mind.

We should do our own meet up. The "peeps who turned up to The Verve expecting little but were blown away by a master front man" crew. 

I first started attending in 2009, bought tickets in Feb with no probs at all. 2010 got lucky with tickets on ticket day. 

Decided that i couldn't contemplate a summer without Glastonbury so have volunteered every year since.

Takes all the worry out of ticket day as you know your place is secured.

The downside is early starts or late finishes but a small price to pay really.

No need to ballot or any other system - if you really want to attend work it!

24 minutes ago, The Placid Casual said:

Jesus, poor guy got 23 downvotes for misjudging the opinions of people on here...

The person giving the 23rd downvote must've felt great about themselves.

Yeah, makes the board seem very cliquey. I always felt a downvote was just for if someone was being a dick, not cause you just had a different opinion. 

8 minutes ago, Roger1 said:

Decided that i couldn't contemplate a summer without Glastonbury so have volunteered every year since.

Takes all the worry out of ticket day as you know your place is secured.

The downside is early starts or late finishes but a small price to pay really.

No need to ballot or any other system - if you really want to attend work it!

Interesting idea for a festival! Nobody pays anything for tickets but every attendee works some part of the festival for at least some of the time.... Love it!

9 minutes ago, Ohinever said:

We should do our own meet up. The "peeps who turned up to The Verve expecting little but were blown away by a master front man" crew. 

One thing I was perplexed about was how he introduced each song by speaking the first line, before starting the song properly.

The intro to bitter sweet symphony was brill though. 

And his teasing of michael eavis over him not thinking they were good enough to play, but that keane were (or whatever he said).

I even enjoyed the new song at the end!

That gig was quite simply a thoroughly bloody enjoyable pyramid headline set.

4 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

I think he's dead right. That fella has less than 100 total posts. Being hammered for merely suggesting something isnt reasoned debate or nice, frankly.

I agree with you, I just meant I must resist downgrading his post....

I save all my downgrades for mike99 anyway.

2 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

In 09 tickets didn't go on sale till April I think. The October deposit was only for 25 per cent - maybe more can't remember details - of the tickets as a trial. They had to pay balance in February. Main sale in April was of other tickets plus any who hadn't paid balance. 

Nope, the only tickets on sale in April 2009 were a limited number of cancellations, much as you'd get now.

The full allocation went on sale in October and sold out in January or February. They reportedly sold more than half of the tickets in the first week, which given the previous years sales and the completely different way of doing things was considered a success at the time.

as interesting as the arguable non sell-out of 2008 was, we are now very much in a completely different era almost a decade on where there is no way in the world glastonbury won't be selling out in 30 minutes. Its barely relevant any more as a repeat is pretty much unthinkable. It was when Reading and Leeds and Bestival were both about 5 times as strong competitors as they are now, for example.

In addition we've now got to a place where a shit weather year has been proven not to affect sales for the next year. AND whoever headlines doesn't really have any bearing on whether it will sell out. I think a lot more people are a lot more bought into the idea of going to Glastonbury rather than seeing anyone in particular and the expansion & prominence of the SE corner & late night areas has played a huge part of this.

Sale wise, things are so much better now. the sale doesn't drag on for 2 hours (or more) like the old days, its over and done with in 30 mins and you're either in or you're not. It inconveniences the fewest amount of people whilst remaining fair. Yes you are in advantageous position if you are in a larger group all trying for each other, but it also favours the organised which pretty much equates to the most committed.

bring back 2009! all is forgiven :) , seriously they really have to do something about the server. Pissed I didn't get two tickets in the resale, two years of trying now after 6 successful. I had four people trying for us to no avail. it's a fallow year next year so we are screwed until 2019! Will I try again, not sure, i'll be 57 then . Hope fully by then they've come to a better solution but whilst it sells out so quickly I doubt they are actually arsed about it to be honest. So another festival will have our money this year, done EOTR last year and can't do latitude so was thinking about Wilderness as Bestival is September and you can't rely on the weather.