Would a ballot be a fairer system?

thesaint78

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

43 minutes ago, verrymerry said:

Funny enough I was thinking about that this morning!  I'm in two minds as to which I prefer!  At least now when it's over you've only spent an hour trying, but when it took hours it did seem like the truly dedicated prevailed, I don't know many people back then who didn't get them who really wanted to go.  But it did waste you're entire fucking day!

My other half said in 2004/2005 it went on sale in the evening and he was up til 3am, fell asleep and then about 10am it was still on sale and he finally got them!  

As unlikely as it is that they'll go back to this - I would absolutely love it. As you said, I think a lot of people would give up after an hour or so whereas the more dedicated would sit there for hours on end trying.

But then I have no life so could happily sit  there for about 24 hours :lol:

Of course a ballot would be the fairest way of selling the tickets. How can anyone argue otherwise? Everyone would have an equal chance of getting a ticket. Those without computers, those who live disorganised lives, those who have last minute emergencies, those without masses of friends to try for them. Everyone would be in it together.

I'm glad it isn't like that though.

Just now, russycarps said:

Of course a ballot would be the fairest way of selling the tickets. How can anyone argue otherwise? Everyone would have an equal chance of getting a ticket. Those without computers, those who live disorganised lives, those who have last minute emergencies, those without masses of friends to try for them. Everyone would be in it together.

I'm glad it isn't like that though.

I don't think that's true at all

Any form of ballot system would inevitably be open to be gamed whereby people could enter the ballot more than once, and methods of gameing the system would be more open to those with more disposal income. 

The only way to totally avoid people multiple entries would be some form of secure identity verification using passport/driving licence and obviously that would also exclude many people on lower incomes. 

1 minute ago, fur_q said:

I don't think that's true at all

Any form of ballot system would inevitably be open to be gamed whereby people could enter the ballot more than once, and methods of gameing the system would be more open to those with more disposal income. 

The only way to totally avoid people multiple entries would be some form of secure identity verification using passport/driving licence and obviously that would also exclude many people on lower incomes. 

Come off it, the current system is far more easily gamed than a ballot. 

There will always be people missing out whatever the system whilst Glasto is so popular and over subscribed. It's become the must do right of passage and another Henley and Ascot of the higher classes and aspirationals. However how can a ballot be fair if 2 want tickets and only 1 gets lucky :huh:

34 minutes ago, Lycra said:

There will always be people missing out whatever the system whilst Glasto is so popular and over subscribed. It's become the must do right of passage and another Henley and Ascot of the higher classes and aspirationals. However how can a ballot be fair if 2 want tickets and only 1 gets lucky :huh:

Fair point. The chances of people being able to go with their friends/ significant others would be greatly reduced. It would really kill the excitement if you got a ballot and your spouse didn't.  Nothing you could do about it either. 

I like that the system now you know if you're going so is your crew. 

I'd obviously go alone if I got one of these hypothetical ballots. That being said....I did have a bit of depression this year when I thought my best friend was dropping out for financial reasons. 

Maybe if each registration entered in the ballot had the opportunity to buy several tickets for other registrations if theirs was drawn it could work but my concern then would be creating a secondary market for inflated tickets. I. E. Let's say I am one of the chosen and I'll buy your ticket on my entry for the princely sum of £1000.

Whilst the current method is imperfect it seems to have touting effectively eliminated and that is most fair to all of us. 

A longer sale period doesn't equal an easier ticket buying experience. Was it 2011 when See completely shit the bed and the sale took about 4 hours? I was sat there for the entire time hammering the ticket page, and got nothing. It's faster now because the system works better. I got through in the October sale for this year, which lasted, what, 20 minutes? I would've sat there for 4 hours if it had taken 4 hours, but it doesn't mean that I would have had a better chance. 

A longer sale means the system isn't working effectively. Some people are able to get through, and others are completely blocked for x number of hours (see my 2011 experience).

1 hour ago, russycarps said:

Come off it, the current system is far more easily gamed than a ballot. 

Disagree with this. Have been in for ballots before (e.g. World Cup tickets) and they're far easier to game. We had multiple accounts with friends addresses and alternate email addresses, all our friends had to do was agree to have the tickets sent to their house - no effort on their part. We managed to get quite a lot of tickets as a result. 

Whereas Glasto tickets you can't really game it like that, you either have more people trying in your group because more want tickets themselves, or people have to actually make an effort to try on your behalf, using card details you've given them or hoping you'll pay them back.

4 hours ago, thesaint78 said:

I guess everyone who says no are sorted for tickets.

Please explain why you don't think it would work

I have entered the London Marathon ballot for the past 8 years . I've never got in,  for this reason I don't think a ballot is better than now. Yes I have a ticket this year . Yes I have missed out in other years 

28 minutes ago, arcade fireman said:

Disagree with this. Have been in for ballots before (e.g. World Cup tickets) and they're far easier to game. We had multiple accounts with friends addresses and alternate email addresses, all our friends had to do was agree to have the tickets sent to their house - no effort on their part. We managed to get quite a lot of tickets as a result. 

Whereas Glasto tickets you can't really game it like that, you either have more people trying in your group because more want tickets themselves, or people have to actually make an effort to try on your behalf, using card details you've given them or hoping you'll pay them back.

Exactly, I guess it depends on what your classification of gaming the system is, but with the current system you can't cheat, you can give yourself an advantage but it's an advatage available to all so it's not an unfair one. A ballot would leave itself open to cheating, giving yourself an advantage that is unfair.

4 hours ago, Charm said:

I live in London, have a good computer and super fast broadband but I still failed today, the current way is the fairest, leave it as it is. 

Charm x

You not coming?? 

We got lucky today thank God so I can be in this forum without feeling it's all gonna end in tears!

7 minutes ago, zico martin said:

You not coming?? 

We got lucky today thank God so I can be in this forum without feeling it's all gonna end in tears!

Fortunately I've already got mine, was trying for my nephew and an efester, glad to hear you got lucky, great news. 

Charm x

25 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Exactly, I guess it depends on what your classification of gaming the system is, but with the current system you can't cheat, you can give yourself an advantage but it's an advatage available to all so it's not an unfair one. A ballot would leave itself open to cheating, giving yourself an advantage that is unfair.

I mean, i'm not in favour of a ballot system but what would be the means of gaming the system that wasn't available to all?