Other Stage 2017

Gucci Piggy

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, Odessa said:

Could see Franz Ferdinand being on the other in the evening, 3rd down maybe? Don't feel like they're washed up enough to be opening the stage, they're better than that.

I don't know. I think opening is a better slot, or more privileged, than 3rd from top. Last few years it's been acts that have headlined stages, or could headline smaller stages at festivals (James, Charlatans, Beady Eye, Kaiser Chiefs). I don't think that classes as washed up, but maybe I just live in the past :S 

1 hour ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Just watched Richard Ashcroft at the O2, he would be great as an other stage Sub.

As an aside... London crowds are pretty dull. Every time Im down here, Im waiting for people to enjoy themselves.

Other sub would be great, 3rd down at the lowest or opening if he'd take it. I think subbing to Bon Iver or PSB works, just don't clash with Gaga.

1 hour ago, Odessa said:

Could see Franz Ferdinand being on the other in the evening, 3rd down maybe? Don't feel like they're washed up enough to be opening the stage, they're better than that.

I don't know if they'd get 3rd down Other now would they?

14 hours ago, thewayiam said:

Yeah that would put them in the same bracket as The 1975 and BMTH which seems a bit of a stretch these days, caveat that those two could and should have been booked higher up notwithstanding. Fourth down sounds about right.

Edited by Zac Quinn

25 minutes ago, Zac Quinn said:

Yeah that would put them in the same bracket as The 1975 and BMTH which seems a bit of a stretch these days, caveat that those two could and should have been booked higher up notwithstanding. Fourth down sounds about right.

Let's remember mate that the 1975 as shit as they are could have been sub comfortably this year if they played less places. I think this was probably their choice as there is no way Chvrches are bigger. And BMTH can't really be compared as they aren't the usual crowd.

On 12/10/2016 at 0:45 AM, thewayiam said:

Other sub would be great, 3rd down at the lowest or opening if he'd take it. I think subbing to Bon Iver or PSB works, just don't clash with Gaga.

PSB? As in Public Service Broadcasting? Is them headlining/subbing other now a likely thing? Thought they were miles off that mark, but god that'd be fantastic if you're right

On 12/10/2016 at 3:11 PM, thewayiam said:

Let's remember mate that the 1975 as shit as they are could have been sub comfortably this year if they played less places. I think this was probably their choice as there is no way Chvrches are bigger. And BMTH can't really be compared as they aren't the usual crowd.

I'd agree with you here if R&L didnt go and give Chvrches a higher placing also. The 1975 seem bigger but didnt really get that high placing this summer across the board. Anyway this years others 3rd down (BMTH, 1975. Catfish) is a bloody strong trio of very relevant artists for a slot of its size. Doubt Ashcroft would get offered that high up.

1 hour ago, DGrant261 said:

PSB? As in Public Service Broadcasting? Is them headlining/subbing other now a likely thing? Thought they were miles off that mark, but god that'd be fantastic if you're right

I'd agree with you here if R&L didnt go and give Chvrches a higher placing also. The 1975 seem bigger but didnt really get that high placing this summer across the board. Anyway this years others 3rd down (BMTH, 1975. Catfish) is a bloody strong trio of very relevant artists for a slot of its size. Doubt Ashcroft would get offered that high up.

PSB lol. Just for future reference, I'm never likely to comment with Public Service.

And yes it was a strong trio, BMTH were minimum sub any other fest but like seen with RB who played 3rd down on a R&L only basis, had they been playing other festivals as well they don't get that placing. 

6 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

I'm looking and nowhere in that post do you say who you mean. You only infer that you don't mean public service broadcasting. 

So you clearly didn't.

Yes I did, I said for future reference I'm never likely to comment on Public Service which clearly dad who it was about.

15 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

Look above, I clearly did.

4 hours ago, thewayiam said:

PSB lol. Just for future reference, I'm never likely to comment with Public Service.

And yes it was a strong trio, BMTH were minimum sub any other fest but like seen with RB who played 3rd down on a R&L only basis, had they been playing other festivals as well they don't get that placing. 

6 hours ago, DGrant261 said:

The 1975 seem bigger but didnt really get that high placing this summer across the board.

word I've heard is that was their own choice - they picked what they felt were the best slots for them as a band, rather than going for the highest slots they could have had. For Glasto, they wanted to avoid being against Adele.

1 hour ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

No it didn't. Only to someone who has used the acronym for Pet shop boys before. 

To many people they would hardly be on the radar, especially people not listening to music in the 80s so your post didn't clearly dad who it was about at all. It just clearly dadded who it wasn't about!

That's why I clarified for him. In case he genuinely wanted to know. You know, seeing as he asked the question, an' all.

Oh do shut up lol.

On 09/12/2016 at 11:22 PM, FuzzyDunlop said:

Just watched Richard Ashcroft at the O2, he would be great as an other stage Sub.

As an aside... London crowds are pretty dull. Every time Im down here, Im waiting for people to enjoy themselves.

I was there too and you're right. The majority of my gigs have been in London this year and there definitely seems to be a reluctance to let loose generally. Not an arrogance, more of a fear of being judged by evryone else for having a good time. Dunno, it's weird. In my experience, the further north you go, the livelier and more up for it the crowds are.

The only exception to the above was Slipknot at Alexandra Palace, that was insane. 

But back on topic, Ashcroft either subbing Other Stage would be welcome, as long as the orchestra is involved too. Thought it worked really well.

5 minutes ago, Zac Quinn said:

George Ezra is definitely back having been confirmed for the IOW so he can be pencilled in as an Other sub 

I doubt he's other sub, 3rd down probably. I think bar Bastille it's hard to gauge similar slots for IOW acts this year.

They haven't even got Run DMC it Guetta as exclusive! 

1 hour ago, SPTFRE said:

I was there too and you're right. The majority of my gigs have been in London this year and there definitely seems to be a reluctance to let loose generally. Not an arrogance, more of a fear of being judged by evryone else for having a good time. Dunno, it's weird. In my experience, the further north you go, the livelier and more up for it the crowds are.

I thought this when I was at Chemical Brothers this weekend - I had to keep moving to find somewhere where I didn't feel a bit out of place jumping about! Most people seemed more interested in filming every second on their mobiles rather than actually watching, which I haven't experienced much before.

1 hour ago, SPTFRE said:

The only exception to the above was Slipknot at Alexandra Palace, that was insane. 

But back on topic, Ashcroft either subbing Other Stage would be welcome, as long as the orchestra is involved too. Thought it worked really well.

Agreed, everyone was friendly and not an arrogant crowd at all

The orchestra worked very well. Science of silence was a high point.

I think he'd go down very well on the other stage sub or maybe even Pyramid, 3rd/4th down.