Other Stage 2017

Gucci Piggy

58 minutes ago, kingcrawler said:

I agree on The Sound, only reason I left that out my post was that it's not unlike some of their more well known songs whereas most of the stuff in that middle section is different and more in line with acts well liked on here like the ones you mentioned, never really got into If I Believe You though. I agree on the acoustic tracks, could easily lose them and maybe This Must Be My Dream for an overall stronger album but hard to criticise their ambition with it too much. These posts have also made me realise I have no idea why I left the album out my top 10 in the other thread :lol:

Yeah I'm astounded that they were allowed to have a seventy-something-minute album with a number of instrumentals and stuff. I'm surprised Ugo Ehiogu didn't two-foot them when they floated that idea.

They're in my top 20 but it's a pretty vast record really. Most of the ones I've really loved this year have been easily listened to in a 45-minute car journey, whereas with ILIWYS, yer only halfway thru their post-rock odyssey as you pull up the handbrake.

Edited by dentalplan

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I quite like The 1975, I think the criticism is a bit harsh. They've definitely got an identity and a different sound, and if you take them for what they are rather than taking them 100% seriously then I think they're decent. Although they do have a very annoying singer and quite possibly the worst album title of all time, but there are a few really good tracks on it.

I didn't think they were that great at Glasto it must be said (maybe it was the weather) but they were awesome at Benicassim.

5 minutes ago, EamerRed said:

I quite like The 1975, I think the criticism is a bit harsh. They've definitely got an identity and a different sound, and if you take them for what they are rather than taking them 100% seriously then I think they're decent. Although they do have a very annoying singer and quite possibly the worst album title of all time, but there are a few really good tracks on it.

I didn't think they were that great at Glasto it must be said (maybe it was the weather) but they were awesome at Benicassim.

I'm not bothered by the album title.  I'd rather have overambitious pretentious rubbish than bland effortless rubbish any day of the week.

Any chance of Gaga headlining Other as opposed to subbing the Pyramid? I don't expect so, really, but for me the 6 most likely acts to take the Pyramid sub/Other headline slots are Elbow, The xx, Lady Gaga, Royal Blood, Bon Iver and alt-J, and I couldn't see any of them except Gaga being placed against Radiohead.

More likely is just that one of those six don't play and someone like The Weeknd/The Prodigy plays against Radiohead, but I struggle to leave any of the six out of my prediction. I would leave Gaga out as her playing as a non-headliner still seems a little strange to me, but she keeps hinting that she is playing so whatever.

11 minutes ago, Will-2609 said:

Any chance of Gaga headlining Other as opposed to subbing the Pyramid? I don't expect so, really, but for me the 6 most likely acts to take the Pyramid sub/Other headline slots are Elbow, The xx, Lady Gaga, Royal Blood, Bon Iver and alt-J, and I couldn't see any of them except Gaga being placed against Radiohead.

More likely is just that one of those six don't play and someone like The Weeknd/The Prodigy plays against Radiohead, but I struggle to leave any of the six out of my prediction. I would leave Gaga out as her playing as a non-headliner still seems a little strange to me, but she keeps hinting that she is playing so whatever.

If Gaga was up against Radiohead the Other field would be more packed than the Pyramid. She'all definitely be on the Pyramid if she plays

Just now, Bradders said:

Wasn't the original info about Gaga doing a secret set?

I don't think so. Wasn't that just one of the possibilities discussed when there'd been hints of her playing? I don't even think we've had any info other than said hints.

There was something about her supposed to have been doing something at the 2016 festival but I don't remember what.

29 minutes ago, Will-2609 said:

I don't think so. Wasn't that just one of the possibilities discussed when there'd been hints of her playing? I don't even think we've had any info other than said hints.

There was something about her supposed to have been doing something at the 2016 festival but I don't remember what.

The rumour was Saturday night I believe. It was doing the rounds that she would be with Mark Ronson and Kevin Parker in SE Corner. All hell broke loose and overcrowding ensued. If I remember correctly.

Edited by jyoung

41 minutes ago, Bradders said:

Wasn't the original info about Gaga doing a secret set?

I think initially it was talked about as a "special guest" slot by the Daily Star. I think there might have been further info to indicate that it's a proper slot and not some Shangri-La special guest thing but I'm not too sure.

10 minutes ago, jyoung said:

The rumour was Saturday night I believe. It was doing the rounds that she would be with Mark Ronson and Kevin Parker in SE Corner. All hell broke loose and overcrowding ensued. If I remember correctly.

Was it not overcrowded just based on it being Mark Ronson and Kevin Parker? I remember it was properly announced and then rebranded as a secret set, oddly.

1 hour ago, dentalplan said:

I think initially it was talked about as a "special guest" slot by the Daily Star. I think there might have been further info to indicate that it's a proper slot and not some Shangri-La special guest thing but I'm not too sure.

Was it not overcrowded just based on it being Mark Ronson and Kevin Parker? I remember it was properly announced and then rebranded as a secret set, oddly.

I walked past and found it very confusing

17 hours ago, dentalplan said:

I must have missed that further info then. I saw it as one of those things where the group consciousness forgets the original snippet of actual info and ends up completely believing something else. Gaga playing an announced slot anywhere other than headlining doesn't seem right to me.

Edited by Bradders

On 22/12/2016 at 11:20 AM, stuartbert two hats said:

I'm not bothered by the album title.  I'd rather have overambitious pretentious rubbish than bland effortless rubbish any day of the week.

Eww. I've just seen the band name was sort of indirectly inspired by Kerouac. At least Healy has the good grace to admit he knows pretty much fuck all about him. 

Edited by Woffy

• 3 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, Huckleberry Finn said:

May have got this horribly wrong but are we struggling to come up with a long list of genuine contenders to headline The Other this year? Major Lazer and Alt-J have been suggested by many in the 'stage prediction' thread but few others. Just my interpretation.

I don't think anyone's agreeing on a likely one but there are plenty of names being suggested. Major Lazer probably were the most consistently predicted one but they're now a UK exclusive at Reading and Leeds so they're out, for now.

The xx, alt-J, Bon Iver and The Weeknd are being predicted interchangeably between Other headline and Pyramid sub. Pendulum and The Prodigy are both touring and PSB are rumoured to be playing so if they can still hack it then maybe they'll do the Other Stage. So there are names but hopefully now the Pyramid headliners are pretty much done, they'll start to get whittled down thru info and such.

38 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I don't think anyone's agreeing on a likely one but there are plenty of names being suggested. Major Lazer probably were the most consistently predicted one but they're now a UK exclusive at Reading and Leeds so they're out, for now.

The xx, alt-J, Bon Iver and The Weeknd are being predicted interchangeably between Other headline and Pyramid sub. Pendulum and The Prodigy are both touring and PSB are rumoured to be playing so if they can still hack it then maybe they'll do the Other Stage. So there are names but hopefully now the Pyramid headliners are pretty much done, they'll start to get whittled down thru info and such.

I reckon the PSB you don't mean would be glorious headlining Pyramid. Shame they're nowhere near big enough. But could you imagine the signal bleeps from the moon ringing out over that field?