Headliners 2016

thewayiam

• Replies 15.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Muse would surely have to be a secret type thing. To have a stadium filling band anywhere but headline would be odd. I'm sure they don't have big egos but it would just be daft. I'd also be worried about them doing a secret set - I'm sure they stopped them (at the Park atleast) due to the stampede/crowding they caused.

1 minute ago, FloorFiller said:

Muse subbing Coldplay seems very odd, but again, maybe they're trying out the failed 'fourth headliner' thing from a few years back and Muse were willing to do it

This i am starting to come around to. Last years Libs slot showed that they could manage a headliner sized band as the sub (although libs are not as big as Muse). 

Muse have come out and said multiple times theyd "LOVE" to play Glastonbury on this album. They saod that as far back as october i think. Back then its feasible glastonbury had their 3 headliners all but signed up. Radiohead hushly penciled in friday, Adele negotiations ongoing for the saturday, Coldplay for the Sunday. By stating their desire to play, Glasto HQ give the band a call saying theyd love to have them but no headliner slots available. How do you feel being a special 4th headliner, with he potential of being elevated to outright if, say, Adele is having none of it.

This POV is admittedly being fuelled by a raging, uncontrollable desire to see Radiohead headline the Friday. But maybe, just maybe, Muse thought Fuck it. Lets do this thing. 

Just now, sisco said:

Am I completely wrong or didn't Emily make some sort of statement about the Sunday and being very surprised who they got to play? (Something along those lines).

And zane lowe mad a passing comment in an interview about Muse and Coldplays "unspoken rivallry" or something.

This could well be 2+2=555, but its all starting to click for me. 

You think it would be simple, there are a finite amount of spaces on the bill and a small minority of people who can be available on any particular date. 

Yet every year, I get more confused about what the fuck goes on at Glasto HQ. If they managed to get The Who to abandon their French fanbase, i'm sure they can get Muse to abandon their fanboys and sub Coldplay. 

Edited by Andy0808 v5

6 minutes ago, T-Mouse said:

And zane lowe mad a passing comment in an interview about Muse and Coldplays "unspoken rivallry" or something.

This could well be 2+2=555, but its all starting to click for me. 

That interview makes me pretty sure they'd only want to headline.

Here it is, going neatly from the story about him letting their Bestival spot slip out to talking about Glastonbury next (this) year:

9 minutes ago, Muppetmark said:

I had her down to sub adele

Or maybe the "Ed Sheeran" sunday slot (yet another made up slot).

As we're going full whack bonkers, if Muse can sub coldplay in my fantasy land, then Ellie Goulding cal play after ELO and before Muse...

Coldplay

Muse

Ellie Goulding

ELO

After ELO I can disappear to take acid at the stone circle or something

Edited by T-Mouse

5 minutes ago, theDandy said:

I, for some reason, had Beck almost nailed on to play and was assuming he'd maybe be a pyramid subber? Would I be completely wrong in this? And with all these stories of LCD, Foals, Muse, Ellie Goulding subbing I really don't know what to think anymore.

He's more likely to be third down I'd have thought 

46 minutes ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

That interview makes me pretty sure they'd only want to headline.

Here it is, going neatly from the story about him letting their Bestival spot slip out to talking about Glastonbury next (this) year:

Muse Vs. Coldplay battle of the bands for Sunday headliner :lol:

Alternating Songs, winner who has the least amount of people leaving during each song.

Starlight/Paradise mashup as the finale

Edited by LondonTom

Maybe Glasto HQ want a 4th headliner already signed up and playing, ready to step up If someone drops out like last year? 

Must of been stressful after Dave snapped his leg, and the rumour Prince was meant too but didn't happen!

2 minutes ago, LondonTom said:

Muse Vs. Coldplay battle of the bands for Sunday headliner :lol:

Alternating Songs, winner who has the least amount of people leaving during each song.

Starlight/Paradise mashup as the finalie

I reckon Muse should bring Britney Spears on stage, and do this mash-up ....

(I was gonna write a comment about it, but when I googled for the name of the muse song I found this mash-up ... when I'd done a (audio only) mash-up of these years ago too)

4 minutes ago, AndyRaine said:

Maybe Glasto HQ want a 4th headliner already signed up and playing, ready to step up If someone drops out like last year? 

Must of been stressful after Dave snapped his leg, and the rumour Prince was meant too but didn't happen!

I doubt they're spending 100k+ on another headline act just in case someone breaks a limb or they fanny around hoping that Prince will sign a contract a couple of months before the festival...

Here's my take on it, might be wishful thinking, but when Radiohead did the 2011 Park secret set, it was a one off date. Their previous show before that secret set was prior to releasing the album, 18 months before that (January 2010), and the next one was a two New York pre-tour show 3 months afterwards (the NY show didn't have any of the stage production that the tour had).

The fact that they're headlining a festival in Iceland a week before, and headlining in Switzerland a week after (not to mention Primavera weeks before that) - I think it's highly unlikely that if they do play Glastonbury it would be anything but headlining Pyramid. They also moved the set in Iceland into Indoors, presumably due to their stage effects possibly for this "festival tours", which makes it unlikely to me that they will play any other time but night time.

Also, as someone else have mentioned, if they play any other time on any other stage, no matter who else is on (Adele, Coldplay), it would literally be a death trap. My friends were there during the Park secret set in 2011, and they almost passed out from it being too congested. I'm pretty sure the festival is aware of this as well and would not be willing to take that risk.