Kanye west confirmed

mike99

If the dude needs cheered up then we should chip in and send him the dvd of his glastonbury performance. 

I stoated round for the last half hour or so. The bit where he missed his cue on one tune so they rewound it and then the stunned silence during the delay in the darkness before the cherry picker episode were genuinely hilarious scenes.

Watching it back would cheer anyone up. Stick me down for a quid. Get well soon sir.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, DeanoL said:

Yup, but there are plenty of rich musicians with similar issues that will still put the fans first. I'm very much a proponent of increasing the profile of and de-stigmatising mental illness - and the core tenet of that is that a mental illness is no different to any other illness. But then you look and see all the artists that played through illness and injury because "the show must go on". Because that's the job, and they value the fans. Like when the Foo's had to pull the tour last year, it was done with a heavy heart, and show where Grohl got injured - he finished out the gig in a chair. That's "being a rock star". 

Again, not to say Kanye is bad, but you pull shit like turning up late and ruining your own shows then you're just not top-tier. And that's fine. But it's part of the reason his "I'm the greatest living rock star" moment was such bullshit.

Piss off mate, you say you're "very much a proponent of increasing the profile of and de-stigmatising mental illness"... but then only if people shut up and get on with it.

Where do you draw the line then? Bowie, the arrogant fuck, snuffing it like a soft arse, clearly doesn't give a shit about his fans.

Get the fuck over the face he said he was the greatest living rock star. You don't need to pick it apart and pull him up on it like you're his bank rumbling him for lying on a mortgage application.

• Upvote 5

3 hours ago, DeanoL said:

Yup, but there are plenty of rich musicians with similar issues that will still put the fans first. I'm very much a proponent of increasing the profile of and de-stigmatising mental illness - and the core tenet of that is that a mental illness is no different to any other illness. But then you look and see all the artists that played through illness and injury because "the show must go on". Because that's the job, and they value the fans. Like when the Foo's had to pull the tour last year, it was done with a heavy heart, and show where Grohl got injured - he finished out the gig in a chair. That's "being a rock star". 

Again, not to say Kanye is bad, but you pull shit like turning up late and ruining your own shows then you're just not top-tier. And that's fine. But it's part of the reason his "I'm the greatest living rock star" moment was such bullshit.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that playing a gig in a chair with a broken leg is slightly easier than going out and playing a gig when suffering from mental illness.

6 minutes ago, Will-2609 said:

I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that playing a gig in a chair with a broken leg is slightly easier than going out and playing a gig when suffering from mental illness.

:P

The fact is, regardless of whether someone likes Kanye or not, they're always bloody talking about him. I've heard more about the man from boring old farts and wrong generation types than fans of his work.

8 hours ago, The Nal said:

The attention and defence this man gets on here from some is genuinely saddening. We should be better than this people.

My hairy arse. So hes done a years work (apparently), had a kid and had the anniversary of his mums death. Just like billions of other people. 

Anyone else on here have kids, a job and a deceased loved one?

Boo hoo. Fuck me.  

My thoughts too. Narcissist blowing a fuse at worlds attention? Made a fortune from said attention, fuck sake, some on here calling him a genius is fucking ridiculous. I'm not a psychiatrist by the way but his show on pyramid last year was insane though. Utter bollocks and people lap it up. Not a fan by the way

12 minutes ago, Alex DeLarge said:

:P

The fact is, regardless of whether someone likes Kanye or not, they're always bloody talking about him. I've heard more about the man from boring old farts and wrong generation types than fans of his work.

Us fans don't need to say much about his work, it's genius speaks for itself.

It's all the old farts that feel bad cause wah wah he's not a rockstar, wah wah he doesn't play an instrument, wahhh he supports trump, that decide to rant on about him. The man's a certified genius and old farts don't like that fact, mainly because he's black. The only reason people critisise him is because he's black. If you don't like Kanye's objectively amazing music then you are a racist

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

8 minutes ago, jonodillieono said:

It's all the old farts that feel bad cause wah wah he's not a rockstar, wah wah he doesn't play an instrument, wahhh he supports trump, that decide to rant on about him. The man's a certified genius and old farts don't like that fact, mainly because he's black. The only reason people critisise him is because he's black. If you don't like Kanye's objectively amazing music then you are a racist

Jesus, please don't bring up racism in another thread. :lol:

But seriously, no-one suggested Kanye haters are all racists, I just said they like to bring up how much they hate Kanye (which you've evidenced quite clearly, so thanks for illustrating my point).

EDIT: This is presuming your being sarcastic, with most other artists I could tell but Kanye fans genuinely say stuff like this.

Edited by Alex DeLarge

6 minutes ago, Alex DeLarge said:

Jesus, please don't bring up racism in another thread. :lol:

But seriously, no-one suggested Kanye haters are all racists, I just said they like to bring up how much they hate Kanye (which you've evidenced quite clearly, so thanks for illustrating my point).

EDIT: This is presuming your being sarcastic, with most other artists I could tell but Kanye fans genuinely say stuff like this.

I'm having a joke but I do think the man is a genius

Just now, jonodillieono said:

I'm having a joke but I do think the man is a genius

Ah that makes sense, sorry, Kanye tends to polarise people.

The man is a complete arse but I don't see how someone could tell me he isn't respected or talented, I hate a lot of the musicians that are posted on here but I don't go into their threads and take the piss out of them constantly in a sad little internet crusade.

1 hour ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Piss off mate, you say you're "very much a proponent of increasing the profile of and de-stigmatising mental illness"... but then only if people shut up and get on with it.

Where do you draw the line then? Bowie, the arrogant fuck, snuffing it like a soft arse, clearly doesn't give a shit about his fans.

Get the fuck over the face he said he was the greatest living rock star. You don't need to pick it apart and pull him up on it like you're his bank rumbling him for lying on a mortgage application.

Fuck off twat.

I'm saying that if an illness means you do a shit job, you can't seriously go "I'm the best in the world at this job". Bowie was making music until he literally couldn't any more. Yeah, you're right, he's the high fucking watermark. At the bottom end are acts that don't even always turn up, or can't put on a show when they do.

You love Kanye, fine, you don't need to fellate him like chugging a quart of his rock star jazz might inject the slightest frisson of feeling into your sad pathetic life.

(I'd rather not do personal insults but apparently you want to go down that road so...)

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 10

13 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

I'm saying that if an illness means you do a shit job, you can't seriously go "I'm the best in the world at this job". Bowie was making music until he literally couldn't any more. Yeah, you're right, he's the high fucking watermark. At the bottom end are acts that don't even always turn up, or can't put on a show when they do.

You said yourself it wasn't a purely creative field. Where were his live shows if, as you say, acts should play through illness?

Edited by dentalplan

10 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

You said yourself it wasn't a purely creative field. Where were his live shows if, as you say, acts should play through illness?

Not aware of Bowie cancelling any shows at short notice or bailing out mid-show.

It's one thing to pull a tour months in advance. It's another to do it the night before. It's another entirely to do it on the night itself.

And even then, I'm not saying acts should play through illness. I'm saying the best acts in the world: they do. That's all.

There are great acts who have shambolic live shows which occasionally work (Oasis, Libertines). There are great acts who are just not much fun live (list of eight and then Radiohead). There are tremendous live acts that frankly kinda suck on record.

It's just one of the measures, y'know. But the truly great acts are consistently good live, show up, and write great songs that sound good in the studio too. Those are the world class ones. Very few acts are world class. Kanye isn't, and his unreliability live is part of the reason for that.

I'm the last person to like Kanye as a person, his music, or his influence on music.

But mental health and health in general always comes first. Things like live shows and fans are nothing compared to your own well being. This whole incident has really amazed me how people STILL do not fully comprehend the impact of mental health.

No, you cannot just "get on with it" or "get over it", and no, in Kanye's case and many others the show must not go on.

People who use this mental health incident to judge Kanye's worth as an artist really need to give their head a wobble.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, jonodillieono said:

It's all the old farts that feel bad cause wah wah he's not a rockstar, wah wah he doesn't play an instrument, wahhh he supports trump, that decide to rant on about him. The man's a certified genius and old farts don't like that fact, mainly because he's black. The only reason people critisise him is because he's black. If you don't like Kanye's objectively amazing music then you are a racisracis

There it is!

I hope you're on a wind up but just in case... don't talk shite. You've said 'objectively amazing', look up objectively. I think he's shite, on what level does make me racist? I think lots of bands are shite when I hear them, I don't check what colour they are before making a final decision.

6 hours ago, DeanoL said:

Not aware of Bowie cancelling any shows at short notice or bailing out mid-show.

It's one thing to pull a tour months in advance. It's another to do it the night before. It's another entirely to do it on the night itself.

And even then, I'm not saying acts should play through illness. I'm saying the best acts in the world: they do. That's all.

There are great acts who have shambolic live shows which occasionally work (Oasis, Libertines). There are great acts who are just not much fun live (list of eight and then Radiohead). There are tremendous live acts that frankly kinda suck on record.

It's just one of the measures, y'know. But the truly great acts are consistently good live, show up, and write great songs that sound good in the studio too. Those are the world class ones. Very few acts are world class. Kanye isn't, and his unreliability live is part of the reason for that.

Jesus christ please stop talking.

6 hours ago, DeanoL said:

While he'd normally soldier on - even with a Chupa Chup hanging out of his eye - he did pull out of headlining TITP at pretty short notice - maybe a week to go -due to a sore shoulder*.

Your mileage may vary as to whether physical and mental health should be treated with the same consideration - I'd say they should.

*And certainly too early for them to be able to arrange a decent replacement.  Ahem.

Wonder how much of this is down to his management keep pushing things on him to make as much money as possible before his "star" fades in the fickle music industry, coupled obviously with things in his personal life - though he choses to live that publicly, which can only add pressure. I've no time for the man, and his constant public complaints of not being recognised as worthy by his peers grates on me, generally those considered to be "genius" don't need to shout about it and announce it to everyone. Having said that I wish him well, and takes this as a wake up call to consider what really matters in life.