Tips for a wet Glastonbury.

Guest Amii

We all know it won't rain this year, and the forecasters are all just jealous they're not going to the greatest place on earth, but just for personal interest - how do you cope with a wet Glastonbury?

I've never actually had the joy of Glastonbury, or just generally camping, in the rain. Every year I've been we've had glorious sunshine. Aside from the obvious wellies/waterproofs/tent combo; are there any tips and tricks I should know about?

(Obligatory mention of NFR NFC)

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If it is going to rain heavily over an extended period then don't pitch your tent at the bottom of a hill. The foot of the hill becomes very muddy whereas the grass can stay fine at the top of a hill.

I so wanted it not to rain at Glastonbury this year. I'm tired of wet Glastonbury's. I think it's the not being able to sit down anywhere you like as you roam around the site that does my head in. On top of that the mud slows your movement right down as well as being more strenuous.

We all know it won't rain this year, and the forecasters are all just jealous they're not going to the greatest place on earth, but just for personal interest - how do you cope with a wet Glastonbury?

I've never actually had the joy of Glastonbury, or just generally camping, in the rain. Every year I've been we've had glorious sunshine. Aside from the obvious wellies/waterproofs/tent combo; are there any tips and tricks I should know about?

(Obligatory mention of NFR NFC)

Dont tuck waterproof trousers into wellies, you'll end up with wet feet.

Stand your wellies upright in your tent - same reason as above

Dont wash your wellies under the tap, its a waste of water and time

Walking is much more knackering than usual - so 'popping up to the park stage' isn't something you'll be wanting to do. You'll get there and hang around for a fair bit longer.

Anywhere with chairs undercover will be absolutely rammed as well, you'll not be able to breeze along and expect a seat. BUT when you do get a seat: you'll enjoy it a lot more cos you'll be so tired from standing everywhere and all the hard walking!

The plastic bag tip is an essential! In the 4 hour queue to get in 2011 I had a canvas bag with my clothes in that literally got soaked. All my clothes were ringing wet. After pitching the tent in the rain I had to festoon the inside with my wet clothes to attempt to dry them. Also my phone was fubar'd in my back pocket (I know I know) so I've definitely learned my lesson and will be prepared! Saying that though still had a fabulous time despite the mud and at times torrential rain

It's not actually that bad- the site obviously doesn't look as nice.

Wear waterproof trousers, or take bin liners to sit on. remember when you get back to your tent at night to take your wells off BEFORE you start cleaning the mud off you- I usually wet wipe me, then realise I still have my wellies on, and so get covered in mud again taking them off!

yeah: don't let it ruin your weekend.

I've never seen a more scared group in my entire life than the people I camped with last year after it started raining on Thursday. It was their first time at Glasto and they were terrified of the prospect - as if it had the capability to totally ruin the festival. Mud isn't ideal, but you can live with it. It's often quite amusing. EMBRACE MUD.

Practical advice: lots of bin bags, lots of socks, walking boots (with/without gaiters) not wellies, walk really fast through mud.

Also just be that bit more aware of folk around you who may have minor mobility issues which become difficult in the mud. Keep smiling, laughing and looking at stuff around you:-)

Carry a bin bag with you. I just tie mine round my bag or belt. It provides something to sit on in areas where it is just wet to muddy. (Of course it will be no help in the areas where it is gloop to soup)

Even after it has been used, & is wet & muddy on the underside, it dries off quick. If it gets wet, it is still a limited wet that you can sit on, in a way that you can't sit on the wet ground

Having a porch area is great for helping to keep your sleeping space dry. We always also leave a flat bin bag just inside the porch to step into when we come in, & leave muddy boots on. We take a washing line & a few pegs so we can hang wet macs overnight.

In fact - overall - calculate how many pairs of socks & how many bin bags you think you could possibly need & take twice as many of both.

Wear shorts or short skirts rather than trousers, with tights or leggings if cold. Not only practical for wet weather as you dry off quick, but small & light to pack, and a genuinely practical festival fashion.

......but NFRNFC obvs.

take twice as many binbags as you think you'll need. sling everything in your tent into binbags when you leave for the day, just in case. beware the metal walkways, they get quite slippy and are no fun to fall on with all the rivets and stuff holding them together. if it gets REALLY wet, enter the park from the top of the field. the entrance at the bottom tends to have the worst m*d on site - wet and slippy on top and treacle underneath. don't use an umbrella, all they do is tip water on the person inevitably standing close behind you and make them grumpy. even if you'll get a little damp doing it, if you don't have a tent you can comfortably stand up in, just get changed out of m*ddy gear outside. no one cares, everyone's doing it and it saves you from spreading the mess further than it has to go.

lordy, this is depressing.

Be prepared - if it's threatening rain then make sure you have a poncho or coat ready. it can be a long way across site to retrieve waterproofs through a suddenly wet and slow crowd

If you're prepared then it's only a minor irritation, there are huge swathes of rain in the past i've completely forgotten about because I was too busy doing stuff and was decently prepared