Tips for a wet Glastonbury.

Guest Amii

Rain makes Glastonbury harder, though not necessarily less enjoyable.

It feels like some rain can actually improve the atmosphere and create something of a feeling of camaraderie.

Main thing is to allow longer to get around the site (certain paths can become incredibly difficult to navigate) and lots of pairs of socks.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tips for a wet Glastonbury? The only one I have is just to get on with it, I know it gets said all the time but if you worry about the weather it will just make you have a worse time. If it is a wash out just accept you will get wet and muddy, embrace it and you'll have a wonderful time!

Pitch your tent on a slope facing down hill

Wear shorts if its wet (or water resistant trousers - the type that actually get wet, but dry really quickly)

Learn to dance by just bending your knees, as it's too much effort to fully dance or jump.

Warning, if you have hair on your legs and you wear wellies, you will slowly have a ring on each leg plucked hairless by the wellies (possibly really long socks would prvent this)

I know it's a big taboo to wash your wellies under a tap - but I do it, and i'll tell you for why - there are different kinds of mud on site - the sloshy mud that is everywhere, and the deeper-lying sticky mud. the sticky mud takes a couple of hours to accumulate on yer boots, but when it does it weighs them down and hampers your movement. I wash it off, and put up with the dirty looks and tuts.

Wear decent walking boots, not wellies. wear shorts. Wet jeans are no fun. It will be warm at the festival, even if wet... wet jeans will be uncomfy and cold. Take your time, allow yourself time to get anywhere. Take a bin sack in your pocket so you can sit down occasionally.

The worst thing about a muddy glasto is the extra effort it takes to walk and that it's difficult to find somewhere to take the weight off your feet.

hth

Great thread this ta... with some great tips. :good:

Seen this in the weather thread? Just read the bold bits of you don't want to read the science.

How muddy will it be?

The key point to remember is that we’ve just had the wettest winter on record, with Somerset bearing the brunt of the rain and flooding. As a result, something called the soil moisture deficit is still abnormally low.

Soil moisture deficit is measure of the amount of moisture in the soils. The lower the deficit, the more water present and vice versa.

The Environment Agency’s monthly water situation report for south west England shows that the soil moisture deficit for Devon and Cornwall at the end of May was just 6mm, compared to the average of around 30mm.

This simply means that the soil has a lot more water in it that would be normally be expected at this time of year.

With the soil wetter than normal, the ground is more sensitive to any downpours than would normally be the case. Therefore, a relatively moderate burst of rain could translate to more mud than you might normally expect to see – especially when thousands of people are constantly walking on the ground.

So, wellies at the ready.

- See more at: http://blogs.channel4.com/liam-dutton-on-weather/glastonbury-2014-forget-wellies/6769#sthash.3OYr4WHU.dpuf