Arcade Fire

Zoo Music Girl

The 'three biggest never played before' thing doesn't look as solid anymore with it looking a bit like Depeche Mode and maybe (in sadder circumstances) Fleetwood Mac dropping out. Hopefully if they weren't originally lined up then they may have been drafted in since.

yep. unless Eavis has got Prince, Led Zeppelin and Metallica as the headliners, then it definitely looks like the 'biggest acts that haven't played' thing is probably out the window. i still think IOW will have unfortunately grabbed them (and they will've gone for the money) but fingers crossed

yep. unless Eavis has got Prince, Led Zeppelin and Metallica as the headliners, then it definitely looks like the 'biggest acts that haven't played' thing is probably out the window. i still think IOW will have unfortunately grabbed them (and they will've gone for the money) but fingers crossed

If they show up at IOW, I'm gonna assume that Glastonbury didn't ask them or didn't ask them in time and Isle of Wight secured them on some sort of exclusive. It'd just be a little bit surprising for Arcade Fire, a band who seem to be fairly motivated by prestige and charity, to turn down one of the most prestigious and charitable festivals for a wad of cash.

If they show up at IOW, I'm gonna assume that Glastonbury didn't ask them or didn't ask them in time and Isle of Wight secured them on some sort of exclusive. It'd just be a little bit surprising for Arcade Fire, a band who seem to be fairly motivated by prestige and charity, to turn down one of the most prestigious and charitable festivals for a wad of cash.

I don't think Arcade Fire are motivated by prestige and charity, okay they donated a % of their Reading fee to relief in Haiti but that was their first big break and was at a desperate time for Haiti.

Glastonbury means nothing to Arcade Fire and they've already shown their distain for the festival, it looks like the Reflektor tour is going to be less dates than previous years, I can see them going for the big pay-out as an exclusive at IOW.

If they do headline Glastonbury it'll be because the positives of a televised headline outweigh the negatives of the low fee. The same as pretty much all North American acts that headline. I don't believe the festival's ethos will come into consideration...

I don't think Arcade Fire are motivated by prestige and charity, okay they donated a % of their Reading fee to relief in Haiti but that was their first big break and was at a desperate time for Haiti.

Glastonbury means nothing to Arcade Fire and they've already shown their distain for the festival, it looks like the Reflektor tour is going to be less dates than previous years, I can see them going for the big pay-out as an exclusive at IOW.

If they do headline Glastonbury it'll be because the positives of a televised headline outweigh the negatives of the low fee. The same as pretty much all North American acts that headline. I don't believe the festival's ethos will come into consideration...

They've given millions to charity and regularly do benefits or charity events. Admittedly, I don't really know the story of their apparent gripes with Glastonbury as I've only heard it passed on on here but I do still think it's in keeping with their interests.

i don't think their former gripes with Glastonbury would stop them wanting to headline again. i think it had a LOT to do with the mud (and if i recall correctly, the way they were transported from A to B . trying to find the article now but all that comes up is rumours of them playing this year

Edited by FloorFiller

They didn't specifically donate any of their R&L fee, although thy did donate a lot around that time after vowing to match fan donations up to the tune of $300k (which of course may have come out of their R&L fee, but could also have come from elsewhere). However this wasn't the first or last charitable donation, they have previously raised a similar amount for an AIDS-related charity after they donated one dollar/pound/euro from every ticket sold for their North American and European tours one year.

I don't know where you get the idea that the Reflektor tour is going to be smaller than previous years, UK dates haven't even been announced yet.

However I do agree that they don't really have any great affinity with Glasto, they have a far better relationship with FR and R&L and although that wouldn't prevent them from playing Glasto IOW is a legit shout. IOW does have some history behind it and although what it is now isn't really anything like what it's famous for that's likely to be an attraction for them.

A lot of people are assuming that if they end up playing IOW and not Glasto that it's due to them going after the money, it's more likely to be that Glasto simply don't see them as headliner-worthy.

Edited by mrtourette

With all the talk of the new tour, you forget how many of their old songs will potentially be fantastic on the Pyramid if they do play. Wake Up, Neighbourhood (#1 and #3), Rebellion, Keep the Car Running to mention a few. To be honest, I'd be happy if they kept the following from Reflektor for a headline set:

Reflektor

Afterlife

Here Comes The Night Time

Oh Orpheus

Normal Person

We Exist

Then fill the rest of the set with goodies from the earlier stuff!

You were right in your prediction Paul they finished with wake up!

A very very special night!!!!!

Get there early the atmosphere was electric tonight most making the effort on the dress code. The album is a monster live! What a show.

On at 8.30 tonight finished at 10

All going tomorrow you will have an incredible night!

Enjoy

They didn't specifically donate any of their R&L fee, although thy did donate a lot around that time after vowing to match fan donations up to the tune of $300k (which of course may have come out of their R&L fee, but could also have come from elsewhere). However this wasn't the first or last charitable donation, they have previously raised a similar amount for an AIDS-related charity after they donated one dollar/pound/euro from every ticket sold for their North American and European tours one year.

I don't know where you get the idea that the Reflektor tour is going to be smaller than previous years, UK dates haven't even been announced yet.

However I do agree that they don't really have any great affinity with Glasto, they have a far better relationship with FR and R&L and although that wouldn't prevent them from playing Glasto IOW is a legit shout. IOW does have some history behind it and although what it is now isn't really anything like what it's famous for that's likely to be an attraction for them.

A lot of people are assuming that if they end up playing IOW and not Glasto that it's due to them going after the money, it's more likely to be that Glasto simply don't see them as headliner-worthy.

Interesting to read your points, perhaps I'm just being pessimistic so I'm not let down when they don't get the gig!

I read somewhere there was speculation that the Reflektor tour would be less encompassing due to Regine & Win's first kid, and them not wanting a massive tour to interrupt this stage in their lives.

I still think the IOW cash will be the deal-sealer, although I appreciate that Michael & Emily probably don't have them at the top of their wish-list, and they can't even be seen as giving them a foot-up as they've already headlined most major festivals.

Anyway, they'd 100% smash it...

You were right in your prediction Paul they finished with wake up!

A very very special night!!!!!

Get there early the atmosphere was electric tonight most making the effort on the dress code. The album is a monster live! What a show.

On at 8.30 tonight finished at 10

All going tomorrow you will have an incredible night!

Enjoy

Thought they would, was the rest of the set similar?

Can't bloody wait!!!

Thought they would, was the rest of the set similar?

Can't bloody wait!!!

Mostly the same set to the London shows just mixed up the order

Power out

Haiti

Sprawl

From the back catalogue and of course wake up at the end,

Reflektor is an amazing opening tune but the reaction to the likes of Joan of arc, normal person afterlife was amazing, as if they were old classics. The crowd were incredible tonight. Really friendly

Some amazing outfits so many making a real effort, more formal than fancy dress.

Surely rules out Wake Up for tomorrow, mind.....

The Arcade Fire fans account on Twitter was asking people for pictures of the setlist, and one person replied 'I tried, trust me, but couldn't get one because they said they're using the same ones tomorrow".

Don't shoot the messenger, but make of that what you will.

Edited by GlastoSimon