Acoustic stage 2024

Crazyfool01

1 hour ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Interesting thing about the Sweet. Their glam pop rock singles were good but the b sides of each single had some good heavy rock tracks. Brian Connolly the original lead singer always said they loved playing and recording them, better than the ballroom blitz style of songs. 

Need A Lot of Lovin' is a monster.

6 hours ago, deepkittycaz said:

Ooh, I didn't miss anything then! 

I think they were technically the headliner that night, although they weren't the last act on! All the acts in white were the Glade headliners last year.

Screenshot_20240414-113124.png

I think they were on at about 8pm, isn't that a bit early for a headliner?

15 minutes ago, Alex DeLarge said:

Find it interesting everyone's had issues with the line-up but seem fairly happy with the acoustic this year. I've not heard of a good half of the artists there! Just shows how subjective it can be.

Im with you... This is the one stage announced to date that i dont think I will be visiting (apart from a beer in Cockmill at some point)

On 4/12/2024 at 4:39 PM, Nuthugger said:

cool fact(i think)for any 90s kids out there. mark billingham on the crime writers thingy was one of the dopey guards for the king/sheriff of nottingham in the kids TV show maid marian.

Also his Tom Thorne detective novels feature characters with stand up comedians' surnames. Haven't read any for a while but I remember Brigstock,  Holland, Boyle, Yashere, Porter and Byrne cropping up.

Edited by dizzymoo
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, CantWaitForGlasto22 said:

Russell Crowe interview about Glastonbury on Radio X https://x.com/radiox/status/1779864755466842437?s=46&t=dalEebDlRypjk77YE_o6Vw

For what it's worth, which isn't a great deal, I got sent a transcript. CM is Chris Moyles:

CM: “Have you done Glasto, have you been to Glastonbury before?”

RC: “No, I’ve never been to Glastonbury before, and it came out of the blue about seven or eight months ago. We got a little phone call and we’ve had to not talk about it for all this time. And you can imagine, you know, having a group of musicians around me that have been playing all of their lives. And for them to be playing Glastonbury, they just wanted to tell the world. We had to keep it secret until the other day.”

CM: “So you’re going to be playing the acoustic stage. Have you see who else is playing the acoustic stage, the line up?”

RC: “Yeah, yeah.”

CM: “Oh, this ain’t no shabby, 113th stage in one of the far fields. This is a big deal! And you’ve got Ralph McTell is playing.”

RC: “That’s just so cool. Yeah but also Albert Lee is playing on the same day.”

CM: “Ocean Colour Scene are playing.”

RC: “I’ve got two of their songs on my principal playlist, so that was… You know, it’s all a surprise, we didn’t anything about it. We probably don’t have the best Glastonbury experience ahead of us, because that would mean being able to be there for three days and what have you, see everything and do all that, but we’re basically being driven in on the day. We’ll do our thing, then we’ve got like a two-hour thing where we can look around but then we have to back on the bus, because we’ve got to be on a plane, because we’re flying to Dublin that night.”

CM: “Oh, you’re joking! I mean, could you not fly to Dublin the next morning?”

RC: “Well, there’s some basic sort of discipline things behind that. We’ve got a really big tour; we’re on the road for two months. So there is a lot of, ‘early to bed, boys.’”

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Comfy Bean said:

Do the bbc ever cover anything from Acoustic? 

Maybe very occasionally the odd "roving reporter" insert (although it feels like we get less of those these days overall).

But they don't have any cameras there so there's no scope to broadcast actual sets.

• Upvote 1

Was there ever confirmation the riff was nicked by The Sweet? I seem to remember Blockbuster came out before Jean Genie? At the time, it was assumed The Sweet stole it off Bowie. And, like everything, neither was completely original but it was odd they both came out within a short time of each other. 

10 hours ago, Comfy Bean said:

Do the bbc ever cover anything from Acoustic? 

Sometimes someone who is playing the acoustic stage will get to sing a song in the BBC studio but nothing from the stage itself.

24 minutes ago, Avalon_Fields said:

Was there ever confirmation the riff was nicked by The Sweet? I seem to remember Blockbuster came out before Jean Genie? At the time, it was assumed The Sweet stole it off Bowie. And, like everything, neither was completely original but it was odd they both came out within a short time of each other. 

I doubt anyone wanted to get into a mud-slinging match over it given its obviously very 'inspired' by Bo Diddley and Muddy Waters, e.g 

Just now, Avalon_Fields said:

Wow, that’s ever so slightly similar!!

Starman was nicked from Somewhere Over The Rainbow. One of Tin Machine’s songs was an exact rip off of Wild Thing.  Bowie was no angel. 

Every artist is a thief is I believe the phrase.