Would Pulp headline Glastonbury in this era?

FirstGlastoHype

Most importantly they have no new music bar like 1 or 2 songs? 

the cure are in a different class for me (wheyy)

End of the day the blur and pulp reunions are cash grabs and that doesnt really fit with playing glasto. In a sad way its way down the pecking order for both.

also they both already have legendary headline sets under their belts they may not wish to taint and im happy with that.

I dont see pulp as a headliner as no new music and its just a reunion for the sake of it so they dont deserve a headline slot.

pyramid sub or other headliner is where i would place them. They wouldnt look out of place there in a normal year but compared to this years pyramid subs and other headliners they would look huge, admittedly.

End of the day there would be a lot less moaning about the lineup if theyd got pulp in a pyramid sub or other headline slot and stevie nicks instead of shania. It would look much stronger. 

idles and LCD are barely bigger than ally pally in london and would barely do over 5k outside london. Pulp much bigger than them but compared to say chemical brothers, a similar size. (A regular other headliner) 

Edited by Memory Man

9 hours ago, FirstGlastoHype said:

Great question, maybe I’m letting my personal biased in on this one but The Cure had a lot longer successful career worldwide? It was an uninspired booking but I personally think it would be better than current Pulp, just my opinion and not sure on that one 

I don't think it's your personal biases as mine go the other way (love Pulp, quite like The Cure but really enjoyed their 2019 set) and The Cure feel like a more appropriate headliner to me. Even if, like you say, a bit uninspired.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, clarkete said:

Listen we've all had times we've enjoyed a bong during the day and the sun's out today, so it's a great time for one, but you must see that some of those (for either budgetary, qualitative or age related reasons) won't ever do it. 

Yeah of course but I wasn't saying they would play....I was just trying to give an idea of the level of artist that would/could headline the Pyramid. Unfortunately Pulp are nowhere near that level. 

10 hours ago, guypjfreak said:

I don't get This cult of Jarvis Cocker....

yeah there good but not that good it's like every year please let pulp headline 😂😂

personally I think band's like Depeche Mode,,, the cure a lot of band's agis mentioned should have been on this year's poster... definitely should be more 80s,,90s music but you don't know what is yet to come out...

*they’re 

also did the working class thing before Arctic monkeys did and from the same city (been going since 1982). And check out how he stood up to Michael Jackson’s Jesus thing at the brits for a biiiiig clue. 😉 also, why every year? (Maybe because they’re popular and have now reformed?) and the cure headlined 2019, why again so soon?? 

17 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

The fact that they didn't in 2011 and they won't have in the last two Glastonburys since reforming again probably answers the question. Hell of a Pyramid sub, though. Would love to see them grace that stage again. Next year or bust.

Radiohead didn’t in 2011 either? That’s not really a logical argument… 

also they only reformed last year… 

2 hours ago, Memory Man said:

Most importantly they have no new music bar like 1 or 2 songs? 

the cure are in a different class for me (wheyy)

End of the day the blur and pulp reunions are cash grabs and that doesnt really fit with playing glasto. In a sad way its way down the pecking order for both.

also they both already have legendary headline sets under their belts they may not wish to taint and im happy with that.

I dont see pulp as a headliner as no new music and its just a reunion for the sake of it so they dont deserve a headline slot.

pyramid sub or other headliner is where i would place them. They wouldnt look out of place there in a normal year but compared to this years pyramid subs and other headliners they would look huge, admittedly.

End of the day there would be a lot less moaning about the lineup if theyd got pulp in a pyramid sub or other headline slot and stevie nicks instead of shania. It would look much stronger. 

idles and LCD are barely bigger than ally pally in london and would barely do over 5k outside london. Pulp much bigger than them but compared to say chemical brothers, a similar size. (A regular other headliner) 

LCD are headlining a 15k festival in Bristol that’s nearly sold out btw… 

idles sold out in seconds their recent tours (including the 7k Cardiff arena). 

pulp WAYYYY above both and have previously headlined. They aren’t travis, ash or skunk Anansie… 

2 hours ago, Memory Man said:

All terrible takes.

Watch footage from Pulp and Blur shows, then come back. 

What is a reunion for reunions sake? Why do they not "deserve" a headline slot simply because they have reformed? It's usually the other way around. 

Idles have sold out Manc Apollo twice and close to selling it a third time, that's around 10k over 3 nights. Chemical Brothers played Manc Arena on the back of an album, Pulp would sell it out without an album, Idles would also do the same. 

Not a clue what point you're trying to make. 

48 minutes ago, Pughga said:

pulp WAYYYY above both and have previously headlined. They aren’t travis, ash or skunk Anansie… 

Well Pulp last year were a big draw. Pretty much everything sold out, including to a 40k+ crowd at Finsbury Park, while they went down well as bill toppers at Isle of Wight, Latitude and Neighbourhood Weekender.

I'm aware Glastonbury is a different kettle of fish to IoW or Latitude but it's still decent numbers.

would be first in line for a bump up if next year a drop out happens (well unless a women drops out and they would make it 3x predominantly male acts), but not a first choice

could easily be the legend or a sub

Edited by gfa

I think there are a lot of posters on here who love Pulp (including me) but haven't quite come to terms with how indifferent non fans are to them most of who view them as one hit wonders.  

Quick sales check on wikipedia says that Pulp lag behind even Stereophonics in sales and (like streaming numbers) again a blunt metric but there is no way Stereophonics can headline the Pyramid Stage.

• Upvote 3

53 minutes ago, Agis said:

I think there are a lot of posters on here who love Pulp (including me) but haven't quite come to terms with how indifferent non fans are to them most of who view them as one hit wonders.  

Quick sales check on wikipedia says that Pulp lag behind even Stereophonics in sales and (like streaming numbers) again a blunt metric but there is no way Stereophonics can headline the Pyramid Stage.

Agree with everything here, Pughga thinks streaming numbers are manipulative and lied about, but like you say, a lot of ‘biased’ for Pulp, and again I’m huge fan! 

I just try and think about what would be best for Glastonbury. Would I go see Madonna? Probably not. Should she headline over Pulp? of course she should, there different levels of act. 

Did I go to Elton last year? No I went to QOTSA, should QOTSA headline? No. 

I don’t personally want to accept Lattitude and IOW level headliners as a Glastonbury headliners, especially AFTER! 

6 hours ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

The fact that they didn't in 2011 and they won't have in the last two Glastonburys since reforming again probably answers the question. Hell of a Pyramid sub, though. Would love to see them grace that stage again. Next year or bust.

I was at Reading 2011 and don’t even think they headlined then?! I’m sure I saw them before The Strokes

1 minute ago, FirstGlastoHype said:

I was at Reading 2011 and don’t even think they headlined then?! I’m sure I saw them before The Strokes

Not sure but pulp might have been booked as headliner cos I remember strokes were booked for the tent one year then moved to main stage.

2 hours ago, Agis said:

Stereophonics are touring every summer though - there's acts that really don't do that well that can get big gigs just off scarcity alone. I'm not saying Pulp are one of them necessarily, but its something to consider

11 minutes ago, FirstGlastoHype said:

They switched sites - ie they did Leeds last the day after

50 minutes ago, gfa said:

Stereophonics are touring every summer though - there's acts that really don't do that well that can get big gigs just off scarcity alone. I'm not saying Pulp are one of them necessarily, but its something to consider

Yes that's why I said last year they probably could have gotten away with it but this year or next year most likely not.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, FirstGlastoHype said:

Agree with everything here, Pughga thinks streaming numbers are manipulative and lied about, but like you say, a lot of ‘biased’ for Pulp, and again I’m huge fan! 

I just try and think about what would be best for Glastonbury. Would I go see Madonna? Probably not. Should she headline over Pulp? of course she should, there different levels of act. 

Did I go to Elton last year? No I went to QOTSA, should QOTSA headline? No. 

I don’t personally want to accept Lattitude and IOW level headliners as a Glastonbury headliners, especially AFTER! 

Your point works in reverse too. I think Pulp could headline, you don't. There is no right or wrong, and we can debate it forever and ever amen so long as we remain civil. I also think "accepting IOW headliners" is a bit meh, Green Day could easily headline Glasto. Muse headlined IOW in 2022, who have headlined Glasto before and likely will again. Probably many more examples. 

On 3/18/2024 at 2:32 PM, cgall said:

No - they have one (to be fair, massive) song which has stood the test of the time. I don't think many people under of the 30 could even name more than 1 Pulp song. I think anything more than Pyramid sub would be unlikely

Yeah but that's probably one more song than they could name from Oasis or Blur.

5 hours ago, Agis said:

The big difference is that Pulp shone brightly for a short period then split, whilst Stereophonics (barring some short hiatus’) have always been active. If you looked at each bands “peak” then I’d wager Pulp were the bigger act.

11 hours ago, Memory Man said:

Blur released a new album last year and it wasn't a reunion as such, they just hadn't done anything since the last time they were active 8 years before - they hadn't split up.

If they play no UK gigs this year, and put a new album out, then I reckon it’s on. Think they would then be at least as suitable as the Cure were, plus the fest might have an eye on keeping the 40+ guitar music fans on side after this year’s Pyramid headliners.

Suuuuurely Jarvis et al want to play that stage one last time before they call it a day?

48 minutes ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

The big difference is that Pulp shone brightly for a short period then split, whilst Stereophonics (barring some short hiatus’) have always been active. If you looked at each bands “peak” then I’d wager Pulp were the bigger act.

Yeah, the shine brightly then go away thing is a huge and sometimes overlooked factor.

It's led to both Pixies and The Libertines headlining Reading + Leeds on their first time back, then as they subsequently stuck around gradually dropping down the bills to the extent that they'd now be more like 3rd on the stage.

Closer to home, there's no way that The Verve get the call to headline Glastonbury if they hadn't spent almost 10 years telling everyone they'd never get back together.

59 minutes ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

Yes, StereOphonics have never shone brightly...and I went to them many moons ago at Margam Park 

Edited by clarkete

5 hours ago, FirstGlastoHype said:

As I recall, it was Pulp/Strokes co-headlining, but with a different act closing as per different halves of the split site arrangement for R&L (Pulp then Strokes at Reading, Strokes then Pulp at Leeds).