Would Pulp headline Glastonbury in this era?

FirstGlastoHype

It's not as clear cut as I first reckoned. They're a very strong sub, no doubt, but an out and out copper-bottomed no-qualms headliner? Not so sure. Given that the demographic of Glastonbury skews towards that vintage, they might just swing it, but it's far from a guaranteed banker. Can see it being a bit of a damp squib amongst the wider attendees.

The fans that like them, properly love them, but there are large swathes of people utterly indifferent/unaware of them, or who only know one song. Not sure I'd take the risk were I booking the festival.

• Upvote 1

I think if they had come back for just one set of This is what we do for an encore gigs then yes as it would have felt quite special but as they have now been back for so long and done so many shows that if anyone wanted to see them they could have I think it seems less likely now.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Not if you were around at the time, but definitely heard it said by younger users that they've got Common People in their quiver and that's it.

Strange my niece is 16 and not because of family has actually independently sort of found Pulp and she likes them and knows more than Common People. I wonder if the one hit wonder is actually more common in slightly older people who were never into them.

Even the smallest amount of investigation would show they have plenty more in their locker.

No - they have one (to be fair, massive) song which has stood the test of the time. I don't think many people under of the 30 could even name more than 1 Pulp song. I think anything more than Pyramid sub would be unlikely

8 minutes ago, cgall said:

No - they have one (to be fair, massive) song which has stood the test of the time. I don't think many people under of the 30 could even name more than 1 Pulp song. I think anything more than Pyramid sub would be unlikely

If it was Popmaster, I'd struggle to name 3 in 10  (I'm waay older than 30 and generally get 10-20 points each day).

Headline Other, yes, for sure, Pyramid, I just can't see it (although I think same about SZA so wdik?)

Joined here as this guy seems to think he’s important and then insults etc (and can’t spell there or their) and is unaware of the previous Pulp discussion on this forum as well as the one he’s been digging on that lead to here. Neither forum are more important than the other anyway…

One hit wonders??? 🤣🤣🤣. They’ve headlined twice before, they deserve a third time and would blow the youngsters away. Liam could also headline solo. Blur will be back one day. But back to pulp. They’ve sold out every date they’ve done on the reformed gigs and headlined plenty of festivals too (albeit slightly smaller). Imagine their one hits… disco 2000, sorted for Es and whiz, sunrise, mishapes, something changed, babies, do you remember the first time and that lesser know song common people on the pyramid singalongs! Brilliant stuff. That’s what glasto is!! A uk festival with the biggest acts of the moment and a nostalgia act too. Streaming is very misleading. 

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Pughga said:

Joined here as this guy seems to think he’s important and then insults etc (and can’t spell there or their) and is unaware of the previous Pulp discussion on this forum as well as the one he’s been digging on that lead to here. Neither forum are more important than the other anyway…

One hit wonders??? 🤣🤣🤣. They’ve headlined twice before, they deserve a third time and would blow the youngsters away. Liam could also headline solo. Blur will be back one day. But back to pulp. They’ve sold out every date they’ve done on the reformed gigs and headlined plenty of festivals too (albeit slightly smaller). Imagine their one hits… disco 2000, sorted for Es and whiz, sunrise, mishapes, something changed, babies, do you remember the first time and that lesser know song common people on the pyramid singalongs! Brilliant stuff. That’s what glasto is!! A uk festival with the biggest acts of the moment and a nostalgia act too. Streaming is very misleading. 

Babies is a hit? It got to 19 in the uk and nowhere else in the world 😂😂😂😂 

Edited by FirstGlastoHype

My debate is, which this guy cannot understand, is Pulp are a brilliant band, I love them! But I kind of want more. They would be such a good Other or Sub, I’d be there! But to headline the world’s biggest festival? I think like someone said above that would be a damp squib to the general audience, this guy can only see his perspective. He dosent understand that a band who headlined 30 years ago may not be big enough to headline now. I ADORE pulp, I want them at Glasto, but I don’t think there big enough! 

Just now, FirstGlastoHype said:

Babies is a hit? I got to 19 in the uk and nowhere else in the world 😂😂😂😂 

TBF top 40 classes as a hit and the festival is in the UK. I'd have picked up on the fact that they've only headlined once as far as I can recall instead.