Overcrowding candidates/ acts booked too low

kemosabe

37 minutes ago, Spindles said:

Bring back the silent discos, always used to be a decent draw on Thursdays and there being more than one location was a big help.  Having acts play on Thursdays was always an issue, I remember the carnage of Maximo Park in 2009, felt like the entire festival turned up.

Have been saying that since they have gone!

That Maximo set was my first experience of Glastonbury, it was a nightmare 

32 minutes ago, kemosabe said:

The Thursday crushes are so frustrating for newbies especially. I remember thinking this festival is shite when I'd been packed in trying to go to Williams Green etc. it leaves a lasting impression. 

I think every year that they must be aware of the problems, but they never seem to change anything. 

We know they monitor these pages, hopefully the ones we've identified early (Faithless, Barry Can't Swim etc ) will mean they consider sorting it in the next few months. I know that the bookers of the individual stages want to flex their muscles, but the top brass should step in and fix things. 

But why do they need forums to tell them obvious stuff like Faithless being mental? Why don't they know themselves?

Without more stuff on to divide the crowd, Faithless on Thursday will be insane, even if it's not at the Glade.  Canning William's Green and then putting Example on the Glade was a moronic option, just shifted the problem to a more congested area if anything. If they are at the Glade and there's little on elsewhere, I'm not going near it.

And sorry to hark back to TLC at Holts, but I think it's a clear case or crowd crust (again).  From the Brothers Bar, pretty much all the way to the front on the left hand side of the sound desk there were loads of space.  I was in a gang of about 15-20 and we (as well as most of those around us) were all dancing around like loons.  It was only waiting to exit that we realised how many were in the field.

1 hour ago, westholtschic said:

Have been saying that since they have gone!

That Maximo set was my first experience of Glastonbury, it was a nightmare 

The silent discos are back this year. When registering for headphone at other festivals; you get this option.

IMG_0598.jpeg

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

Without more stuff on to divide the crowd, Faithless on Thursday will be insane, even if it's not at the Glade.  Canning William's Green and then putting Example on the Glade was a moronic option, just shifted the problem to a more congested area if anything. If they are at the Glade and there's little on elsewhere, I'm not going near it.

And sorry to hark back to TLC at Holts, but I think it's a clear case or crowd crust (again).  From the Brothers Bar, pretty much all the way to the front on the left hand side of the sound desk there were loads of space.  I was in a gang of about 15-20 and we (as well as most of those around us) were all dancing around like loons.  It was only waiting to exit that we realised how many were in the field.

Agree re Faithless at The Glade on Thursday, will be avoiding that one for sure due to severe overcrowding. 

Going back to TLC. I got there on my own about 15 minutes before and was on the second front row on the left hand side. I couldn't find my mates that I was looking for but was easy to get there

1 hour ago, jordanadams8 said:

The silent discos are back this year. When registering for headphone at other festivals; you get this option.

IMG_0598.jpeg

was this excluding glasto last year? could just be an old form thats not updated so wanted to check 🙂

---

OP is bang on to be honest, Barry will be the worst in that Park slot but Peggy Gou and Jamie XX will also be swamped (Jamie mostly due to poor other options).

Peggy is up against Disclosure who is the exact same crowd really which will help but she'll still be quite busy.

Jamie XX likely won't have any additional sets (at least not announced) whereas the others likely will which could help split crowd a tad.

15 hours ago, gfa said:

was this excluding glasto last year? could just be an old form thats not updated so wanted to check 🙂

---

OP is bang on to be honest, Barry will be the worst in that Park slot but Peggy Gou and Jamie XX will also be swamped (Jamie mostly due to poor other options).

Peggy is up against Disclosure who is the exact same crowd really which will help but she'll still be quite busy.

Jamie XX likely won't have any additional sets (at least not announced) whereas the others likely will which could help split crowd a tad.

They weren’t there last year. I’ve had confirmation that it’s back elsewhere also.

• Thanks 1

I was at Example last year (I know, I know) and there are three things that strike me about it:

1. we went to see Girls Don't Sync Before and it was fairly busy, but not rammed - people then tried to show up ten minutes early for Example which led to a lot of problems 

2. Inside the tent itself it was busy but at no point felt dangerously over-crowded. We had plenty of space to dance, so as others have said crowd crust was a big thing. As we were leaving, we saw a massive crowd and were kind of confused at where these people had been.

3. Sometimes Emily and co. are a bit behind the times with what's become nostalgic/ what will bring a big crowd. The biggest complaint you could make about this year is that it all feels a bit 6music. I don't think they understand acts like Example are a bit of cheesy nostalgia for people around my age, and that often does really well at the festival. As much whinging as he did on the day he was right - he should have been on a bigger stage. See also - Chase & Status being f**king massive. I witnessed this as well when I saw Katy B at Love Saves the Day - a massive crowd with people talking about her as if she was some classic artist. 

On 3/14/2024 at 10:26 AM, jamieroser said:

Avril Lavigne early evening on the other stage feels like it'll be rammed! 

Maybe it's just because she was big when I was growing up...

I have a feeling Avril might be a bit under expected capacity and that's coming from a big fan. 

On 3/14/2024 at 10:31 AM, Rose-Colored Boy said:

Another one which depends on clashes. If there’s an overlap with Shania it’ll be fine.  

Doubt there will be an over lap, at that end of the schedule, Pyramid are playing bigger sets anyway than other. Shania will be well finished by that time.

6 hours ago, Alex DeLarge said:

I was at Example last year (I know, I know) and there are three things that strike me about it:

1. we went to see Girls Don't Sync Before and it was fairly busy, but not rammed - people then tried to show up ten minutes early for Example which led to a lot of problems 

2. Inside the tent itself it was busy but at no point felt dangerously over-crowded. We had plenty of space to dance, so as others have said crowd crust was a big thing. As we were leaving, we saw a massive crowd and were kind of confused at where these people had been.

3. Sometimes Emily and co. are a bit behind the times with what's become nostalgic/ what will bring a big crowd. The biggest complaint you could make about this year is that it all feels a bit 6music. I don't think they understand acts like Example are a bit of cheesy nostalgia for people around my age, and that often does really well at the festival. As much whinging as he did on the day he was right - he should have been on a bigger stage. See also - Chase & Status being f**king massive. I witnessed this as well when I saw Katy B at Love Saves the Day - a massive crowd with people talking about her as if she was some classic artist. 

The crowd crust was really a thing. I was at Girls Don't Sync as well and left towards the end, loads of space down the front but as I went back the crowd got more and more dense.

Isn’t “Faithless” just a Sister Bliss DJ set?

Nothing to cause a roadblock unless people aren’t aware and turn up anyway expecting the live act…

(apoligies if someone else has said this already)

1 hour ago, Twiggy553 said:

Nothing to cause a roadblock unless people aren’t aware and turn up anyway expecting the live act…

I think everyone is expecting a live set as she posted this on Facebook. 

"Delighted beyond belief to be headlining Thursday night at GLASTONBURY!!
The first live band ever to do so…
See you there"

Also, the below is on Camp Bestival website, so clearly this year she is going with a live format at some of her bookings. Maybe her DJ sets will go back to being billed as Sister Bliss.

"WE ARE SO HAPPY TO ANNOUNCE THE RETURN OF FAITHLESS TO THE LIVE ARENA AFTER 8 YEARS AWAY, AND WE CAN'T THINK OF A BETTER WAY TO RETURN THAN TO THE HALLOWED FIELDS OF CAMP BESTIVAL, IN ALL THEIR JOYFUL GLORY. THIS WILL BE ONE BIG CELEBRATION - WE CAN'T WAIT FOR YOU TO COME JOIN US, IT'S GOING TO BE AN EXCITING SUMMER AHEAD."

SISTER BLISS, FAITHLESS

On 3/16/2024 at 10:15 PM, Twiggy553 said:

On thursday it will 100% cause a roadblock

Anything relatively well known does - especially with such accessible dance hits

Hold on, since when Barry Can't Swim is not just popular, but more popular than Dj Spen and with your suspicions of going to be hell? I recall his very cute "Lone Raver" because I used to check everything released by Shall Not Fade, and I recall him playing in NTs Loft a few times (which is a 200-300 people place). Has he appeared on tiktoks or on tv series or anything to deserve this fame?

On the topic, I repeat that last year Thursday was hell for me until I got in one of the enclosed spaces in Shangri La. It is not that there is too many people everywhere (there is quite a lot of people) but that people block the entrances/exits. That happened in Silver Hayes, in Shangri La, everywhere, so you can find folks here saying "I was in Skindred, it was fine" because they were close to the stage and, I guess, they never needed to go to the loo or to get a drink. Because I was there, next to the fake petrol station, and it was scary. 

Needing to wee anytime while it's busy on Shangri La... is not the best experience. 

On the Faithless thing, first live ever on Thursday? The Orb did that. Well, they did a hybrid, mixing up recorded tracks with live playing. That insanely long version they dropped of "Little Fluffy Clouds" that expanded and mutated and expanded again was 100% a live thing. 

I think the Thursday night on Truth around Skindred last year was definitely another example of crowd crust being particularly bad. Our group had been at Truth, about halfway down, just in from the left hand wall, from about half seven onwards, and whilst it definitely got noticeably busier by the time Skindred came on it was never that bad, and being that side meant even popping to the loos near the Rocket Lounge was very manageable. I think by the sounds of it the problems came along the path at the back, and especially over the right hand side, as people came across the railway line from the Common and just stopped in a bit of a mass.

(Not saying there weren't issues, just that, as so often at Glasto, even in "the same" crowd, some parts were way worse than others)

58 minutes ago, waltere said:

I think the Thursday night on Truth around Skindred last year was definitely another example of crowd crust being particularly bad. Our group had been at Truth, about halfway down, just in from the left hand wall, from about half seven onwards, and whilst it definitely got noticeably busier by the time Skindred came on it was never that bad, and being that side meant even popping to the loos near the Rocket Lounge was very manageable. I think by the sounds of it the problems came along the path at the back, and especially over the right hand side, as people came across the railway line from the Common and just stopped in a bit of a mass.

(Not saying there weren't issues, just that, as so often at Glasto, even in "the same" crowd, some parts were way worse than others)

Has anyone ever suggested a solution to crowd crust?

other than broadcasting a message to let people filter through the crowd I can’t imagine you’d ever get anyone to pay attention once they’ve claimed ‘their’ spot 

4 hours ago, Old_Johno said:

Has anyone ever suggested a solution to crowd crust?

other than broadcasting a message to let people filter through the crowd I can’t imagine you’d ever get anyone to pay attention once they’ve claimed ‘their’ spot 

It requires people to not treat the largest music festival in Europe like they're having a comfy BBQ in their back garden which seems to be a bit too difficult for some unfortunately. 

12 hours ago, Alex DeLarge said:

It requires people to not treat the largest music festival in Europe like they're having a comfy BBQ in their back garden which seems to be a bit too difficult for some unfortunately. 

Another problem with the ‘bucket list’ crowd. No festival experience or etiquette. 

18 minutes ago, Old_Johno said:

Another problem with the ‘bucket list’ crowd. No festival experience or etiquette. 

I'm having flashbacks from Elton John at this moment. Absolutely horrible.

The most unfriendly and ignorant crowd I've experienced (I know it was far, far better in other parts of the field, just not where we were)

On 3/14/2024 at 10:43 AM, CaledonianGonzo said:

Janelle isn't a draw....if they clash it'll definitely increase Avril's crowd 

In fairness i'll be in the small crowd at Janelle -  she's a draw in my eyes  

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Risingson2 said:

Hold on, since when Barry Can't Swim is not just popular, but more popular than Dj Spen and with your suspicions of going to be hell? I recall his very cute "Lone Raver" because I used to check everything released by Shall Not Fade, and I recall him playing in NTs Loft a few times (which is a 200-300 people place). Has he appeared on tiktoks or on tv series or anything to deserve this fame?

On the topic, I repeat that last year Thursday was hell for me until I got in one of the enclosed spaces in Shangri La. It is not that there is too many people everywhere (there is quite a lot of people) but that people block the entrances/exits. That happened in Silver Hayes, in Shangri La, everywhere, so you can find folks here saying "I was in Skindred, it was fine" because they were close to the stage and, I guess, they never needed to go to the loo or to get a drink. Because I was there, next to the fake petrol station, and it was scary. 

Needing to wee anytime while it's busy on Shangri La... is not the best experience. 

On the Faithless thing, first live ever on Thursday? The Orb did that. Well, they did a hybrid, mixing up recorded tracks with live playing. That insanely long version they dropped of "Little Fluffy Clouds" that expanded and mutated and expanded again was 100% a live thing. 

Barry is hot on the tales of fred again with a very similar crowd, obviously fred has blown up massively and Barry looks to follow. His album just came out if that makes him 'deserve' it? strange word though - people just like his music lol

re faithless - there's a thread for that conversation

On 3/17/2024 at 12:08 AM, Dales said:

I think everyone is expecting a live set as she posted this on Facebook. 

"Delighted beyond belief to be headlining Thursday night at GLASTONBURY!!
The first live band ever to do so…
See you there"

Also, the below is on Camp Bestival website, so clearly this year she is going with a live format at some of her bookings. Maybe her DJ sets will go back to being billed as Sister Bliss.

"WE ARE SO HAPPY TO ANNOUNCE THE RETURN OF FAITHLESS TO THE LIVE ARENA AFTER 8 YEARS AWAY, AND WE CAN'T THINK OF A BETTER WAY TO RETURN THAN TO THE HALLOWED FIELDS OF CAMP BESTIVAL, IN ALL THEIR JOYFUL GLORY. THIS WILL BE ONE BIG CELEBRATION - WE CAN'T WAIT FOR YOU TO COME JOIN US, IT'S GOING TO BE AN EXCITING SUMMER AHEAD."

SISTER BLISS, FAITHLESS

Neah

It's not a Sister Bliss DJ set

It's Sister Bliss with a sessions backing band. 

20 minutes ago, airwaves said:

Neah

It's not a Sister Bliss DJ set

It's Sister Bliss with a sessions backing band. 

Yeah, I know that. I probably did not lay it out well in my posting. I knew she was doing live sets as Faithless as I already had Camp Bestival tickets.