Away from the music

Little Thief

First Glastonbury in 14 years!

Back in 2010 I was just jumping from stage to stage and didn't really scratch the surface of the festival. Want to try and explore more this year.

Wondering where people like to head or what people like to do when they have a few hours between acts they want to see, or even on a night when they don't fancy one of the headliners?

Any recommendations of corners to head to or things to look out for?

I always love the theatre and circus fields. The walkabouts always make me smile. We also always wander around permaculture and pause for a bite to eat, and head over to green crafts. It's nice to get away from the crowds for a bit.

And the kids fields are really nice places to chill, with kids obvs.

• Like 3

Rimski's Yard in T&C is wonderful both during the day and after headliners.  I love it!  Quirky, different, entertaining, not busy.  Probably my new favourite place.

Strummerville - can spend hours around the fire, drinking, chatting, enjoying music.

If it's a hot one, the Woods is a welcome break from the sun.

Circus.

Mavericks.

Left Field.

Try to climb the ribbon tower if you can find a time when there isn't a queue.  Fantastic view from the top.  I still treasure the photos I took there on my phone.

Tiny Tea Tent near the Greenpeace stage is a lovely place to while away some time in the shade, drinking proper tea from proper cups. Their vegan brownies are gorgeous.  Last time we were there a molehill started to appear by one of the tables;  I'm sure it was real (and unrelated to consumption of brownies)

I have been going for years now this year will be my 14th in a row and 16th overall. I have spent a reasonable time exploring - I always spend some time chilling around the green futures gields watchhing people make stuff. I always have a cream tea on the sunday. Last year I found myself at a loose end and went to the comedy tent and ended up taking part in a comedy session where he taught us all how to dance bhangra which was a hoot, never done that before- seen plenty of comedy acts in the tent before  but will look for more things to have a go at /take part in this year. two of my daughters will also be working this year  so may try and do some tango dance lesons or something with them. Over the years I have gone from running between venues and seeing 40 bands a year - to just ambling about being a lot calmer - honestly I have a better time now. I used to be so worried about missing stuff that I often couldn't decide what to do , these days I kind of let stuff just happen I may have  a few bands I must see and if my shifts allow - great and if they don't I'm ok with that too. I'm kind of lucky that I have been so often so I have a sort of "oh well I'll catch them next year then" attitude 

I've definitely slowed down my Glastonburys more and more each year. Far more likely to stop and watch little things happening away from the big stages these days especially with the kids along for the ride. Agree theatre and circus is great and they will do loads of little bits and pieces around the wider site. Aim to do more aimless wandering is generally a good tip I reckon.

12 minutes ago, Euphoricape said:

I've never been in the avalon Inn, always seems to be really busy. Will definitely try harder this year!

most of the time with the Avalon Inn it LOOKS like its utterly rammed in there but once you get past the outer rim of people its fine in there.

sometimes, however, yep its feckin' rammed!

for the balcony in the afternoon it'll usually be a one-in-one-out situation, but rarely have to wait too long (and i make a point of never choosing to queue for anything at Glastonbury).

• Thanks 1

On 2/11/2024 at 6:53 PM, Little Thief said:

Back in 2010 I was just jumping from stage to stage and didn't really scratch the surface of the festival. Want to try and explore more this year.

Wondering where people like to head or what people like to do when they have a few hours between acts they want to see, or even on a night when they don't fancy one of the headliners?

Try GlastoLatino. The acts are great fun. Bring your dancing shoes as it’s a great workout. Went twice last year. 

22 hours ago, The Nal said:

Avalon Inn on Wednesday and Thursday is the greatest place on earth at that time

Never done this on a Wed or Thu but always wanted to. I don't think I've even had eyes on it on either of those days the 7 times I've been, on the assumption that it gets so busy you can't get inside, much less on the balcony, is that correct?

50 minutes ago, Stokesy10 said:

Never done this on a Wed or Thu but always wanted to. I don't think I've even had eyes on it on either of those days the 7 times I've been, on the assumption that it gets so busy you can't get inside, much less on the balcony, is that correct?

See TLRs post above. Balcony always rammed yeah but Ive met some of the most interesting people in the main bar, and outside. 

Another +1 for the Avalon Inn, just really great vibes on the Wed/Thurs.

I love sitting up on the slope above the Park stage especially if it is a nice day and you can get in a hammock.  I'm always just so happy up there.

Also love chilling in the green fields.  Always interesting stuff to look at or people to speak to and some of the best food and drink options.

We always catch a talk or two in the Leftfield tent.  Always interesting and engaging.

I like a sit down in the woods near Woodsies if it is hot as well.

• 2 months later...
On 2/11/2024 at 6:53 PM, Little Thief said:

Great thread 🎩

Agree with all the shouts for the Theatre and Circus fields.

The Woods was also go-to area for me last year. Nice and chilled. Particularly enjoyed the huge nightly campfire. They even got a Mayan Shaman in from Mexico to do a fire blessing ceremony one evening, which was rather fun.

My favourite bit is just sitting watching people walk past and having random conversations.  My favourite was at 2am talking to a guy carrying a large water cube....I said "You spoil that Goldfish".  He immediately picked up the joke and said "Yeah, he loves it here, comes every year"....his girlfriend coming up behind him couldn't understand why we were talking about Goldfish. 

• Like 1

Strummerville on Thursday night for me (yeah it is music strictly, but so much more).  A nice spot on the sofa, speaking to random people, watch the lighting of the fire.  And boom - three hours have passed!