Micro Venues

Monty Pythagoras

Last few days I’ve noticed myself reading though discussions and watching videos of micro venues and the like across the years at Glastonbury.

Anyone got any good stories that they don’t mind sharing about the weird and wonderful areas they’ve stumped upon over the many years they’ve been attending?

49 minutes ago, Little Andy said:

Dunno if this is a good example of what you want, but The Miniscule Of Sound, a nightclub that I reckon could have squeezed in about 8 people max (plus the DJ booth) was great fun.

Pretty sure our group was in there for 10-15 mins in 2016 in the mud giving it absolutely stacks.

Were many in the old Shangri-la . Went in many, remember one which was great and then noticed some people crawling through a small space which we did and there in another room was a cocktail bar playing funk

Edited by fred quimby
  • Upvote 1

There was an amazing karaoke bar micro venue in Shangri La one year..  had a great time there.

Loved Minuscule Of Sound, if you stayed too long the bouncers came in and made you feel uncomfortable til you left 😂 

One of my favourites was a tiny old caravan which had a 4 or 5 piece band squeezed into it with a big front window and a keypad on the outside so you could type in your choice of songs on the jukebox.. I think we selected Beastie Boys Sabotage, the band absolutely rocked! 

• Upvote 3

We had a rabbit hole experience where we ended up crawling through a tunnel and ended up in a Victoria office complete with writing bureau. There were Alice in Wonderland characters ordering you to crawl round it on the floor and fed you sugar cubes and fanned bits of you that were hot. 

Then we went into another tunnel, separated, and emerged into the secret cocktail bar that was the rabbit hole's Funkingham palace. (It was just alright, we stayed about an hour and had a cocktail but we'd gone before any big names were on).

5 minutes ago, Monty Pythagoras said:

Wasn’t there a Bono themed bar hidden away one year hahaha

I think both 2010 and 2011.

It was called The Church of the Blessed Bono, and it was basically a sort of U2-only karaoke bar, except that the Mic had an effect on it so everyone sounded high pitched and people were performing in a kind of setup* where it their head appeared on a miniature puppet body.

*there'll probably be a name for it, but I don't know it.

Saturday night in 2010 we swerved the headliners and headed to SE corner early

Came across a queue of about 8 people outside a tent, with two fellers on the door (well not really a door, just a flap that was held closed by the blokes on the door)

every few minutes one of them would stick his head in, then say room for one more and let the next person in.

we decided to have a look seeing the queue wasn't too bad, and probably queued up for about 5 minutes.

when we were finally ushered in, we walked into a completely empty tent, only about 8 foot square, with a flap at the other side that just lead back out into the festival.

everyone who fell for it hung about for a while just to laugh at everyone else as they came through

I've no idea if this was just down to a couple of punters who found the empty tent and had a genius idea, or whether it was actually planned, but it was hilarious.

• Upvote 4

17 hours ago, incident said:

I think both 2010 and 2011.

It was called The Church of the Blessed Bono, and it was basically a sort of U2-only karaoke bar, except that the Mic had an effect on it so everyone sounded high pitched and people were performing in a kind of setup* where it their head appeared on a miniature puppet body.

*there'll probably be a name for it, but I don't know it.

Yes- me and 5co77ie did a smashing rendition in there.. I think he was The Edge to my Bono. Great times Jaqueline!

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, barcelonista1899 said:

I enjoyed the Shrinel Richie a few years back when he played. All night long, all night long.

I visited but was probably too far gone to realise if that was the only tune...

16 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I didn't go to any myself but there was a music video made by the Shangri-la team that showed - at the very least- a hidden supermarket they'd built somewhere. 

There was a supermarket window in SL last year with fake packaging etc in the window....Shangri-Mart I think it was called.  I wasn't (unfortunately) aware there could have been a venue behind though 😢