Spice Girls Legend Slot potential poll for 25

Crazyfool01

would the spice Girls spice up your Sunday if they played legend slot in 25 ?  

172 members have voted

1. 1. If the Spice girls played the Legend Slot in 2025 , would you see them ?

• absolutely yes
    • depends whats on elsewhere
    • definitely not

• 2 months later...

Scary spice on Jonathan Ross explaining how they’re not doing Glastonbury while simultaneously stoking the rumour that they might do Glastonbury! 

Probably definitely not happening this year but it is their 30th anniversary! 

On 1/11/2024 at 12:46 PM, clarkete said:

Not wishing to p on anyone's bonfire, but I refer the honourable members to their previous statement to the house... 

"At the time of writing, there are no plans for another Spice Girl comeback performance" 

https://www.nme.com/news/music/mel-b-promises-that-good-spice-girls-news-is-on-the-way-reunion-comeback-3567664

for mel b it would be good news, she's skint.

I wouldn’t be there. It would be busy but nowhere near as busy as Elton. Probably not even as busy as Dolly. One of the factors that makes something Elton level of busy is the fact it feels like it could be a last chance. The Spice Girls are young enough for people not to feel that is a factor. 

36 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

I wouldn’t be there. It would be busy but nowhere near as busy as Elton. Probably not even as busy as Dolly. One of the factors that makes something Elton level of busy is the fact it feels like it could be a last chance. The Spice Girls are young enough for people not to feel that is a factor. 

I'm not necessarily disagreeing, but would like to add another (I would say very) notable factor, that is "wouldn't pay £100+ to see their own gig, but I'm well in for an hour of their hits at the fest", including the "it's my guilty pleasure" crowd.

3 hours ago, clasher said:

I'm not necessarily disagreeing, but would like to add another (I would say very) notable factor, that is "wouldn't pay £100+ to see their own gig, but I'm well in for an hour of their hits at the fest", including the "it's my guilty pleasure" crowd.

Think that’s just standard for most legend acts. This year the cheapest ticket for The Corrs in Manchester was £93. Diana Ross tickets would have been pricy as well so I think that will always be a factor for all big acts but it made me go to Elton, it wouldn’t make me go to the Spice Girls. 

Pretty sure that I wouldn’t go. To me there's no way that they are legends-they are not musically talented enough. 

They were a manufactured brand rather than legends 

5 hours ago, CharlotteB said:

I'd definitely go. They are the definition of legends and it'd be a great booking.

2 hours ago, tarw said:

Pretty sure that I wouldn’t go. To me there's no way that they are legends-they are not musically talented enough. 

They were a manufactured brand rather than legends 

I agree with this statement, I've never go the Legends tag. A very popular pop band capable of selling bucket loads when they've come back but that doesn't make them Legends for me. I kinda can't see anywhere they go except for headline which loses all credibility if chosen.

Shania has been questioned for fitting the Legend slot by the odd person and she's actually much more a credible artist.

3 hours ago, Ben7amin_ said:

I recon it wont happen but one or both Mel's to constantly drop hints that it will

Yep.

Despite the best efforts of the Mel's to manifest it, my best guess is that they've only succeeded in annoying the festival and making it less likely.

Emily is usually very diplomatic when she's asked about acts - for her to outright dismiss one like that presumably means that we can take her statement as a flat "no". At least for the foreseeable.

12 hours ago, northernangel said:

I agree with this statement, I've never go the Legends tag. A very popular pop band capable of selling bucket loads when they've come back but that doesn't make them Legends for me. I kinda can't see anywhere they go except for headline which loses all credibility if chosen.

Shania has been questioned for fitting the Legend slot by the odd person and she's actually much more a credible artist.

I feel The Spice Girls transcended music, and they were an inspiration to millions of girls, inspiring many groups after them. They were trailblazers and unique. I remember being completely gobsmacked the first time I saw them on TOTP. Not only that, they did contribute to the writing of their songs.

Edited by CharlotteB
Got smacked???

10 hours ago, incident said:

Yep.

Despite the best efforts of the Mel's to manifest it, my best guess is that they've only succeeded in annoying the festival and making it less likely.

Emily is usually very diplomatic when she's asked about acts - for her to outright dismiss one like that presumably means that we can take her statement as a flat "no". At least for the foreseeable.

Given there's not exactly an inexhaustible supply of legend slot contenders there's zero chance of Emily turning them down if and when they do get sufficiently organised to make it happen.  

It all goes back to definition of legend. 

To me legend would mean someone/ band who have had a long and influential  but not necessarily hugely successful in sales terms career.

To others it means an hour of songs they know but wouldnt necessarily want to pay to see.

Maybe its time to just let it die a,natural death rather than keep extending the meaning to make something fit as theyre avaialble.

Shania twain could still be playing but does it really need to be labelled legend.

13 hours ago, incident said:

Yep.

Especially assuming it does not happen this year.  If there was any chance of it happening it would have already happened.

3 hours ago, danmarks said:

It all goes back to definition of legend. 

To me legend would mean someone/ band who have had a long and influential  but not necessarily hugely successful in sales terms career.

To others it means an hour of songs they know but wouldnt necessarily want to pay to see.

Maybe its time to just let it die a,natural death rather than keep extending the meaning to make something fit as theyre avaialble.

Shania twain could still be playing but does it really need to be labelled legend.

The definition of "legend" has nothing to do with it.  The name comes from places like this - it was called the Teatime Slot by the festival until 3 or 4 years back.