2024 New Music

Quark

Some good tunes on that Bombay Bicycle Club EP as well, though seems an odd time to put this out with the UK tour finishing last week and the album having only come out in October.

Wow, really surprised by how good that MGMT album is. I was impressed by the singles they released, but was expecting it to be front loaded and then the rest be ‘duds’. But it’s a great album, and sounds very ‘fresh’ considering their first album is 17 years old! 

i was talking to one of these lads at a BBC Introducing promotion at the Cavern in Liverpool last week. They played a festival in Sofia last year at the invitation of a couple of Glastonbury bookers and have had a few emails on the back of this new song and their last single (Dream + Lie). It’s all a bit murky I think in the realms of the minor stage bookings but I’d love to see these play somewhere. 

On 2/23/2024 at 10:41 AM, st dan said:

Wow, really surprised by how good that MGMT album is. I was impressed by the singles they released, but was expecting it to be front loaded and then the rest be ‘duds’. But it’s a great album, and sounds very ‘fresh’ considering their first album is 17 years old! 

yeah it is really good.  I would say it is up there with Congratulations for me. I'm really hoping they turn up at Glasto this year.  I haven't seen them since 2010.

34 minutes ago, glimmers_of_hope said:

yeah it is really good.  I would say it is up there with Congratulations for me. I'm really hoping they turn up at Glasto this year.  I haven't seen them since 2010.

Yeah really interesting album very nice. My big fear though is a million miles a way from Kids & Time to pretend which is no problem for me. 

As someone who was at the back of the tent when they played JP. 

People were getting a bit mardy when all of the songs did not sound like those two. 

I fear a good festival performance by them can be negatively impacted by people who form the wrong impression though there own lack of trying new things.

I think il hope to catch them In there own gig

7 hours ago, FloopFiller said:

They’ve already said they’re not planning on touring this album at all.

Really! That's a real shame, I saw they didn't have anything announced. 

They are an interesting band, I'll read some more recent interviews. They strike me as not giving a f**k about playing the game. 

They could have followed the first album with more songs like time to pretend and kids and been massive but decided to release congratulations which was a massive swerve, practically commercial suicide and then doubled down on it with the next album.  Lucked out with little dark age which isn't that much more accessible really. 

If they toured this album I think they would be playing good venues.  I guess they don't care. Kinda nice to have a band who remain a sort of outlier. 

8 hours ago, Ben7amin_ said:

Yeah really interesting album very nice. My big fear though is a million miles a way from Kids & Time to pretend which is no problem for me. 

As someone who was at the back of the tent when they played JP. 

People were getting a bit mardy when all of the songs did not sound like those two. 

I fear a good festival performance by them can be negatively impacted by people who form the wrong impression though there own lack of trying new things.

I think il hope to catch them In there own gig

Yeah, I've seen them at festivals and people just not interested in most of the set. They used to do that karaoke version of kids as well where they didn't even play it, just sung and danced to a tape of it,  presumably to flip people off. 

Couple of indie albums in really looking forward to today. 

Yard act  - where's my utopia 

Everything everything - mountainhead 

I'll also give mannequin pussy  - I got heaven a listen as well. 

I think that John Squire Liam Gallagher album is also out today but I have really disliked the singles. 

Quite a few good ones today.  Started with Veil - Lysistrata, which is not as good as I was hoping for, but still some good highlights. Also happily surprised to see a Nils Frahm release, which I am just starting now. Then on to some of the previously mentioned ones. Good day ahead (musically at least).

2 hours ago, glimmers_of_hope said:

Couple of indie albums in really looking forward to today. 

Yard act  - where's my utopia 

Everything everything - mountainhead 

I'll also give mannequin pussy  - I got heaven a listen as well. 

I think that John Squire Liam Gallagher album is also out today but I have really disliked the singles. 

Add Master Piece’s debut album to that list. A real blend of indie styles in one album, I really enjoyed it! 

• Upvote 1