SZA

gherkin8r

Just now, bobsacamano said:

Everything was perfect, all weekend. Then Faithless knocking it out of the park with that lovely early evening heat still on us and a spectacular sunset. Then Stevie delivers that performance. Watched it from the hill with some of my very best, oldest mates. Just so sweet.

Hey ho, I'll stop moaning about the young ones now. Their turn.

We were down near the front/left about 100 yards from the left hand screen.  Loved every second of both sets.

Was dancing like a loon to Sir Duke and when I looked up at one point I had my back to the stage and it looked like the ENTIRE field was on their feet, grooving and smiling.  Incredible scenes.

23 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Progressive soul fan, eh?

Then have I got just the artist that might interest you!

I did enjoy that evening so much. That weekend too. Still recall the Saturday in the sun too, with Scissor Sisters and Shakira.

That was such a lovely festival 🙂

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Dunno about Fairhless I was checking out 2024 Pyramid sub-headliners LCD Soundsystem on their natural home (a stage that's not the Pyramid)

LCD would be totally wasted on a pyramid crowd, now so more than ever. 

2016 was magic up against Coldplay. Not only was it an absolutely unbelievable set but you could move about and dance even near the front where I was.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Benjsh said:

2016 was magic up against Coldplay. Not only was it an absolutely unbelievable set but you could move about and dance even near the front where I was.

Tied for my all time favourite Glastonbury gig with Radiohead in 2017. But I really hope they aren't on the Pyramid, not a good stage for them.

11 hours ago, Benjsh said:

Lordy, it was absolutely perfect. The most perfect end to a challenging weekend. Genuinely welling up thinking about that version of All My Friends. May have to go check it out on YouTube now, though I will cry!

• Upvote 1

Must echo the "small crowd" comments, particularly given The National seem to be near their peak as a live draw.

For what it is worth, she still has not sold out her BST date, though they are onto Tier 3. An interesting commonality there - GNR did not sell out straight away last year, I believe, and they both happen to be the most divisive of the headline bookings for the year.

Couple of questions I've been thinking about this week in relation to this booking:

The first is the extent to which a small headliner crowd "matters" to the festival. Obviously logistically there's knock ons throughout the rest of the site. And maybe it'll get social media traction, look bad on telly (?) etc. But it's still a sold out festival? Does it impact future bookings or anything? 

The second (related) question I had is the extent to which it's the festivals job to try and encourage people to go watch it's headliner. As mentioned they've sold out. Should Glastonbury be really hyping her, and maybe not selecting too many strong clashes etc. to build that crown. Or is it kind of down to the artist themselves to do the job or drawing a crowd, and the festival is pretty standard offish. 

Edited by kemosabe

The BBC usually take editing decisions to disguise small crowds. You can tell if the broadcast consists largely of close up footage.

Come headliner time, however, there's always enough people stagefront to give it the appearance of being very busy. So to an extent there can be very little difference in the footage between a middle-sized crowd e.g. GnR or a large one e.g. Arctic Monkeys.

The difference comes with things like the overhead shots like they used for Elton last year. I doubt they'll bother for SZA cos it will look pretty different to Elton's crowd.

However, that's no real reflection on the choice to book her I don't think.

1 hour ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

On another note, in an opinion piece carrying the air of "contrary opinion" and a few mistakes here and there, The I's Emily Baker reckons that SZA is the only exciting slam dunk of the three.

https://inews.co.uk/culture/music/pop-stars-dont-respect-glastonbury-2956345

Anyone got a non-paywalled link?

9 hours ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

On another note, in an opinion piece carrying the air of "contrary opinion" and a few mistakes here and there, The I's Emily Baker reckons that SZA is the only exciting slam dunk of the three.

https://inews.co.uk/culture/music/pop-stars-dont-respect-glastonbury-2956345

Confusing Dave Grohl with Jon Bon Jovi is a quite spectacular error...

4 hours ago, Calvin Klein said:

SZA is definitely the most interesting and exciting headliner. Although most acts would be compared to the other two.

The very nature of the words "interesting" and "exciting" and their inherent subjectivity make the assertion that she is DEFINITELY the most interesting and exciting headliner a complete nonsense. 

• Like 1

On 3/14/2024 at 4:24 PM, Rose-Colored Boy said:

Not been following the rumours so this is a surprise! Small crowd but will be cracking for those who are there. 

Small crowd? She just played to a mammoth crowd in Argentina.

Maybe those of a certain age are underestimating?… just saying

https://x.com/celestlaly/status/1769181907412017296?s=46&t=s8JaXm6AAoOO2OryjpGKSg

21 minutes ago, km9 said:

Sorry if this has already been said, but imagine the outrage if a male headline act sung the lyrics "I might kill me ex".

If you actually read and understood the lyrics and nuance behind the song you’d realise how silly that point is.

Edited by M42

I watched her perform it at the Grammys and she actually seemed to cut a man's throat and then throw him sky high in the air.

Then all ninjas came on and started sword-fighting one another.

I'm really not sure if this is the sort of thing that Glastonbury should be encouraging.