SZA

gherkin8r

In Kill Bill SZA is clearly fantasising about committing some sort of crime, but ultimately the lyrics are self-critical and are more about her inability to move on from a previous love than they are an exhortation for violence.

However, in Bohemian Rhapsody Freddie Mercury confesses to murder, even going so far as to outline the approach and the weapon he used. In a just society he should have done time and never have been free to potentially kill again.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

However, in Bohemian Rhapsody Freddie Mercury confesses to murder, even going so far as to outline the approach and the weapon he used. In a just society he should have done time and never have been free to potentially kill again.

Also, that is the most overrated song in history 👀

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Songwriters - just like authors, filmmakers etc - are capable of creating characters and embodying their perspective. Obviously there are plenty of examples of singers taking real-life heartbreak and singing about it but just because a song contains a lyric doesn't mean that the singer actually thinks that. I would argue that the best songwriters are those who are capable of writing from a perspective other than their own.

Really feel like the culture today has a huge problem with understanding that portrayal does not equal endorsement. 

• Upvote 4

Guns n Roses - One in a Million

Paul McCartney - Run For Your Life and Live and Let Die

The Cure - Killing an Arab

What we need is artists to never explore darker thoughts and themes in their music. Also, everything a musician ever sings about can never be in character. We need to get back to nice young lads like Travis. Thank God Coldplay are headlining!

22 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

She's been headlining Lollapaloozas in Latin America this week and I'd assume the setlists she's doing will by and large be the same as what we get at the G.

Mostly seems to be in order -  - - but looks like Prom didn't make the cut.

Glad to see All The Stars on there. That tune slaps.

1 hour ago, mouserat said:

I know it sounds all 'grumpy old man' but the sea of mobile phone screens is so dispiriting. 

Isn't it.  Just live in the moment FFS.  Your social media likes mean jack sh*t.

10 hours ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

Isn't it.  Just live in the moment FFS.  Your social media likes mean jack sh*t.

Easy for you to say. Do you live in latin america? You know they dont get gigs every damn day like you do? Might be the only thing they can go to or even afford for an entire year. Remember how spoiled you are in this regard.

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Suprefan said:

Easy for you to say. Do you live in latin america? You know they dont get gigs every damn day like you do? Might be the only thing they can go to or even afford for an entire year. Remember how spoiled you are in this regard.

Not patronising at all mate 

3 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Despite it being one of the world's biggest fimancial centres there are no wealthy people in Sao Paulo. They all live in empty banana crates and use tin cans on string to communicate.

Tin Tok?

11 hours ago, Suprefan said:

Me being grumpy again, but I think if I did hyopthetically live somewhere where I could only afford one gig all year I'd probably be even less likely to spend the entire show watching it through my phone screen.

13 hours ago, Suprefan said:

What the f**k does that have to do with it?  It happens everywhere, all the time, is pointless and anti-social.  You pillock.

1 hour ago, mouserat said:

Me being grumpy again, but I think if I did hypothetically live somewhere where I could only afford one gig all year I'd probably be even less likely to spend the entire show watching it through my phone screen.

Exactly.  

• Upvote 4

15 hours ago, Suprefan said:

This makes no sense. Any gig anyone ever goes to could be the last one, or the last time they see that act. It’s also not clear how a Mobile Phone making an enjoyment more enjoyable increases with scarcity of said event.

Edited by MEGABOWL

19 hours ago, Suprefan said:

This is not the reason this happens, even if it is true that compared to Europe, we get far fewer gigs. But these corporate festivals like Lollapalooza are full of middle-upper class kids/young adults who are all about their social media. They are not poor and can afford stuff like this and more. Like the south american version of Coachella. 
I've been to the first 4 or 5 of them here. But each year it seems these festivals lean way more into that social group. 

We have plenty of people that can afford stuff like this (specially in the big cities) although obviously way more people cannot. 
Lollapalooza has been happening here, in Brazil and Chile for about 10 years now. Primavera landed here as well, two years ago. That's because there's enough people that can afford it. Although in our particular case (ARG) that trend might stop very soon.

Edited by Calvin Klein
  • Upvote 6