SZA

gherkin8r

1 minute ago, Nobby's Old Boots said:

I kind of love the fact that if they've booked her to headline it's directly ignoring people like that.

As has been said to death - if you don't know who SZA is that's a you thing not glastonburys problem.

Everyone's got Google 🤣

37 minutes ago, Bike_Like_A_Mum said:

My friend's 10 year old will be  absolutely buzzing, especially if we get Burna Boy and D Block Europe too... that's her generation sorted and locked in for the future 👍🏼🤣

Lovely to hear this. SZA is a favourite of a lot of the young folk I work with as well. 

In fairness with the whole "not being in tune with pop culture thing", pop culture is arguably at its most fragmented than ever. 

It seems far easier to miss big music hits more than ever these days, particularly with everyone's social media algorithms catering for their interests, and the limitless music options on streaming replacing radio. 

I quite like SZA's music and 'Good Days' was one of my most played songs a few years ago, but I don't think I've ever heard it in a public setting before or see anyone discuss her much online.

Edited by WhoOdyssey
  • Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Acid_Haze said:

I remember all the same comments when Arcade Fire were announced to headline 2014.

And as an ex Arcade Fire fan, I was there and their crowd numbers were dismal. 

4 minutes ago, WhoOdyssey said:

In fairness with the whole "not being in tune with pop culture thing", pop culture is arguably at its most fragmented than ever. 

It seems far easier to miss big music hits more than ever these days, particularly with everyone's social media algorithms catering for their interests, and the limitless music options on streaming replacing radio. 

I quite like SZA's music and 'Good Days' was one of my most played songs a few years ago, but I don't think I've ever heard it in a public setting before or see anyone discuss her much online.

This is true.

I feel like there are two sides to it though, depending on how you respond.

Either "Oh, I'm not surprised I haven't heard that, I might check it out/ not for me" OR "who is this? How can they be any good if haven't heard of them?"

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Happy for any fans of SZA out there.

I gave it a listen and I was surprised simply due to it being mostly slow and chilled. I'm not convinced it's an ideal Pyramid headliner for an up for it  Friday night crowd but each to their own. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Alex DeLarge said:

This is true.

I feel like there are two sides to it though, depending on how you respond.

Either "Oh, I'm not surprised I haven't heard that, I might check it out/ not for me" OR "who is this? How can they be any good if haven't heard of them?"

Yeah, I agree there.

3 minutes ago, danbailey80 said:

Happy for any fans of SZA out there.

I gave it a listen and I was surprised simply due to it being mostly slow and chilled. I'm not convinced it's an ideal Pyramid headliner for an up for it  Friday night crowd but each to their own. 

Might be a not quite so energetic Sunday crowd … will see 

12 minutes ago, stuie said:

And as an ex Arcade Fire fan, I was there and their crowd numbers were dismal. 

And I'm sure SZA's crowd numbers probably would be too. I don't think the festival cares that much, they'll make sure there's enough on for everyone.

I like to think that I have a fairly good grasp on popular culture for someone of my age, it certainly seems to be the case compared to people I work with, but I'd only seen SZA's name in discussions on who might appear at the festival. 

It's easy to be out the loop of what the youth are listening to if the youth in your house listen to different stuff from the mainstream (if SZA is mainstream). 

Weirdly though, it delights me when stuff like that happens. I've listened to a couple of her songs and it's not for me, but it sounds like a good signing for the festival. Other old buggers need to get out of the mind set of responding "I've never heard of them!" and instead take it as a cue to give them a listen. You may discover something new that you like.

14 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

I like to think that I have a fairly good grasp on popular culture for someone of my age, it certainly seems to be the case compared to people I work with, but I'd only seen SZA's name in discussions on who might appear at the festival. 

It's easy to be out the loop of what the youth are listening to if the youth in your house listen to different stuff from the mainstream (if SZA is mainstream). 

Weirdly though, it delights me when stuff like that happens. I've listened to a couple of her songs and it's not for me, but it sounds like a good signing for the festival. Other old buggers need to get out of the mind set of responding "I've never heard of them!" and instead take it as a cue to give them a listen. You may discover something new that you like.

Totally agree. I’ve never understood people loudly proclaiming ‘I’ve never heard of them.’ 

1) That isn’t the killer blow you think it is

2) It probably says more about you than the act, their fans, or the people who’ve booked them.

SZA is headlining festivals around the world, FWIW. She'll headline Lollapalooza over here in about two weeks. Although another one of the headliners is Limp Bizkit so I'm not sure how credible that is...

CTRL is a great album. 

Edited by Calvin Klein

1 hour ago, Bike_Like_A_Mum said:

My friend's 10 year old will be  absolutely buzzing, especially if we get Burna Boy and D Block Europe too... that's her generation sorted and locked in for the future 👍🏼🤣

And shouldn't this be the point for Glastonbury to continue for generations it has to attract younger generations. I know a lot of teenagers who don't really see Glastonbury as a festival for them but more one that their Mums and Dads go to. At some point that would become a problem for the festival. They could and should be attracting younger people and if that means that some of the older demographic drop off then so be it.