2024 Ticket Buying Tips

parsonjack

3 minutes ago, Simsy said:

Wish I'd known about that link in 2004. Got tickets at like 3am, that was a sale for determined people!

I think the Freya link only appeared early the next morning but not that early! I grudgingly went to bed thinking I had failed miserably via dial up but logged on to Efests first thing in the morning to see the golden link which amazingly went straight in for my tickets. Told a friend at work a couple of hours later but didn't believe me, so she waited an hour or so before finally daring to do so herself (successfully).

23 hours ago, ProperTea said:

Not quite sure how but all 36 of us got through and the weird thing is it was the same guy that got us all tickets, who got through 6 times. I am shook.

Yes, likely because they are handling sessions this way again. (Perhaps some changes after last years 'sold out' debacle?). Looks like it is the way it was in years past - once your IP is 'in' it is in. So big groups were hoovering tickets up.  

It's the same every year really. For the people who don't get them there will always be reasons why and "unfairness", it's draining having these same complaints every year. I think we just live in a generation where many people think they can just have what they want when they want and if they don't get it, it's a "disgrace". 

Demand will always outstrip supply and no system will every be perfect. The one used now is as good as it can be. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, Breeze said:

Yes, likely because they are handling sessions this way again. (Perhaps some changes after last years 'sold out' debacle?). Looks like it is the way it was in years past - once your IP is 'in' it is in. So big groups were hoovering tickets up.  

I don't think that's true for every person who gets in. I only got through once and never saw the page again. 

16 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

Except if they explain why it was done then nobody is going to call them the bad guy. This happens all the time with major onsales anyway. They go back and review any suspicious purchases and cancel orders. So if they cancelled say 10,000 tickets bought via an exploit and they clearly figured out why/how it was done then they can admit they had a gap in security but also the resolve to take action if you try such a thing. Then theres precedence in the future that if you try this sort of thing youre going to lost your ticket. Who cares about the money, theyll get it one way or another. Again, most people on here arent going cry foul with all this cause they mightve done it themselves. 

That's all true but unfortunately the easier (and less costly?) option is to just brush it under the carpet.

Seen quite a few reports on Twitter, Reddit & elsewhere that people were charging between £20 - £100 to secure tickets, presumably via the hosts exploit. Seems some suggestion that it's not new and has been going on a year or two, it's just only now that word has got out.

There are definitely places that are trying to keep a lid on discussion about it.

10 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

I got mine at around 6.30am IIRC!

7 minutes ago, Fingerbobs said:

I think the Freya link only appeared early the next morning but not that early! I grudgingly went to bed thinking I had failed miserably via dial up but logged on to Efests first thing in the morning to see the golden link which amazingly went straight in for my tickets. Told a friend at work a couple of hours later but didn't believe me, so she waited an hour or so before finally daring to do so herself (successfully).

Ah, I had no idea the link didn't appear until later. Think I still know my old debit card number off by heart after typing it so many times that night!

1 minute ago, ModernMan said:

It's the same every year really. For the people who don't get them there will always be reasons why and "unfairness", it's draining having these same complaints every year. I think we just live in a generation where many people think they can just have what they want when they want and if they don't get it, it's a "disgrace". 

Demand will always outstrip supply and no system will every be perfect. The one used now is as good as it can be. 

If there are cheaters exploiting the system then the system isn't as good as it can be? Surely they should be called out on this and work to ensure it doesn't happen again?

I don't mind losing out to high demand, as I did last year. But I find it difficult putting so much effort into sales, resales, buying sim cards, chocolate bars etc etc and then losing out to cheats block buying tickets, which is what has happened here

• Upvote 4

9 minutes ago, Lubic said:

If there are cheaters exploiting the system then the system isn't as good as it can be? Surely they should be called out on this and work to ensure it doesn't happen again?

I don't mind losing out to high demand, as I did last year. But I find it difficult putting so much effort into sales, resales, buying sim cards, chocolate bars etc etc and then losing out to cheats block buying tickets, which is what has happened here

*based on anecdotal evidence for which you have no proof of how many tickets affected/if it even happened.

Sometimes you're lucky, sometimes you aren't.

I understand the anger about a person going in and getting their group tickets and then going back and getting other groups tickets, but until it's fixed or changed you've got to play the game. Find other groups of people you know and create a "syndicate", or join one of the posts on here or the discord and try and help each other to maximise your chances. 

No one has a right to tickets you've got to try everything to get them.

We've got tickets through a friend who was able to get in time and time again and got ours last minute, but this does seem very unfair. Its just not a level playing field of persevere. We had 5 groups and nobody got past the holding page. Seetickets have monumentally f**ked up the sale this year. You would think they'd know what they were doing by now.

9 minutes ago, Lubic said:

For events of this magnitude, people will always find ways to beat the system. It's the same as anything that will outstrip demand, including sneakers etc. If people didn't modify their Hosts file or use internal links, they'll create Bots to buy tickets for them. People are always ahead of the curve and there's no way to make anything online completely fair or bulletproof.

You can bet they'll attempt to patch and prevent it next year, but it can depend on their priorities. I remember buying 2 PS5s when they were particularly rare by modifying the site source code (which was a known method, the Mail were reporting on it) and none of us had our orders rescinded or banned. As long as the event sells out there isn't always a need to fret over it.

1 minute ago, GmasterWomble said:

I understand the anger about a person going in and getting their group tickets and then going back and getting other groups tickets, but until it's fixed or changed you've got to play the game. Find other groups of people you know and create a "syndicate", or join one of the posts on here or the discord and try and help each other to maximise your chances. 

No one has a right to tickets you've got to try everything to get them.

This I do agree with, I cast the net far and wide in order to get tickets. Likewise I do help others get their tickets and will do so in the resale

2 minutes ago, ModernMan said:

*based on anecdotal evidence for which you have no proof of how many tickets affected/if it even happened.

Sometimes you're lucky, sometimes you aren't.

To be fair I don't think there's any doubt it happened.

I didn't do it, for the reasons I've already given, but I know from my own tests last year that it'll have worked. I don't blame anyone who did, either - they've have taken a risk, if it pays off then fair play, if See do take action then they've got no legitimate complaints.

The question is how many. My personal guess would be low thousands, but I don't know that for sure. I would say that if enough people caught wind in time to try it, then the not-overloaded server they were utilising would very quickly become overloaded so that limits it to a degree.

56 minutes ago, Lubic said:

I'm surprised how many on here are ok with this and seemingly accepting of it. This is a big issue and clearly will have allowed large groups to block buy tickets for entire spreadsheet groups. There were links and instructions going round on whatsapp, discord, reddit etc.

No that doesn't mean we would otherwise have been guaranteed a ticket, but I do find it odd that I don't know a single person irl, across a number of groups, that got beyond a holding page this year.

If the festival truly believes in fairness (as stated 2 weeks ago when they postponed the sale), all tickets bought on the spare server should be traced and cancelled. But they won't because they just want the tickets sold as fast as possible and See don't want the negative fallout.

21 minutes ago, NotAnInsider said:

Seen quite a few reports on Twitter, Reddit & elsewhere that people were charging between £20 - £100 to secure tickets, presumably via the hosts exploit. Seems some suggestion that it's not new and has been going on a year or two, it's just only now that word has got out.

There are definitely places that are trying to keep a lid on discussion about it.

That's the biggest issue I see with it. The festival claim to have effectively eliminated touting for tickets but this exploit effectively shifts the touting to before the sale starts. 

Pay £50, refundable, and we'll guarantee tickets. 

Then you get scammers joining in that won't refund it, set up fake websites, fake the see tickets payment request and just take the £300 per group or hoover up someone's bank account.

Then Glastonbury gets a terrible reputation as a result of having a "hackable" system.

Edited by Leyrulion
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Simsy said:

Wish I'd known about that link in 2004. Got tickets at like 3am, that was a sale for determined people!

29 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

I got mine at around 6.30am IIRC!

Yes. I remember that year. Think I got through about 1am. Mates I was going with didn't have success until about 8 or 9am

26 minutes ago, NotAnInsider said:

I was offered this last year for the resale via a discord DM and have publicly said that on there in the past (also came up again recently)

Exploits or not, if you can find people willing to pay that much per ticket then people will happily refresh to go for them - its a pretty good hourly wage!

1 hour ago, Rex2 said:

The percentage of groups successful thread suggests it's even more prominent. Think it was 50 percent of groups had 100 percent success rate which you'd assume the hack was used for. The only fair thing to do is trace these tickets and put them back in the pot 

The problem is those groups are always going to be favoured in this system so hard to say if it was a "hack"

If you've got 100 people in a group, their odds just get better and better as they're successful (eventually having 100 people trying for six tickets, assuming people keep trying after getting their own tickets)

5 minutes ago, briddj said:

It was for me. Clicked back, entered a second set of reg, submit, back in queue, never saw another booking page. 

Same with me, I was in at 9.02 (from a sh*t hotel Wi-Fi in Dublin as I was away having left the original sale date free so I could go to work which has been successful in the past. Tried to get back in for our other group and no luck. The more I do this the more I think it’s just luck.

3 hours ago, Paul ™ said:

I wondered that too, @Crazyfool01 What was the technique yesterday?

Technically illiterate me as below Simsy got mine who was paired in my group we have a massively dedicated team of people who had very good sucess in lots of recent sales we only .. and a shed load of friends behind most groups … I had 10 helpers many of whom were happy to help the other groups. It’s a numbers thing and we were all happy to use our cards for any transaction we were doing