Green Man 2024

bexj

5 hours ago, noisenoiseandmorenoise said:

-downside: assuming the  rain is a  regular occurrence, i thought the conditions could have been handled better. Perhaps this is harsh though I'd highlight that having a big part of the main tent be a 'no-go' area is not great.

Weirdly despite the rain being fairly regular (though 2018-2022 were all quite dry), the ground conditions last year were the worst since an atrocious 2012.

I assume the timing and extent of the rain we got on the Friday evening was just an absolute killer for the site, but we’ve definitely had wetter overall years without having the same impact on the ground 

1 hour ago, Aeroplane Over the Sea said:

I assume the timing and extent of the rain we got on the Friday evening was just an absolute killer for the site, but we’ve definitely had wetter overall years without having the same impact on the ground

The rain that night was absolutely biblical! Couldn’t believe how small the crowd was for Devo. 

15 hours ago, Justiceforcedave said:

No Shark Smile?! They have been playing Sadness as a Gift though which is pretty ace. I'm game for Big Thief, but it'll depend on who they're up against as saw them at GM 19 and it was enjoyable, but not a standout performance that weekend.

They drop it in every now and then. Seem to rotate one or two of the earlier singles (including Cattails, actually, which doesn't even feel that old). More than anyone I can think of, my sense is that they almost make up a different setlist each time, though, so I'm not giving out hope!...

50 minutes ago, Jetshymotion said:

They drop it in every now and then. Seem to rotate one or two of the earlier singles (including Cattails, actually, which doesn't even feel that old). More than anyone I can think of, my sense is that they almost make up a different setlist each time, though, so I'm not giving out hope!...

Yeah I've told my group not to hold their hopes out for any particular older song (other than masterpiece) when it comes to them. 

15 hours ago, Stillill42 said:

Lads what's my best bet coming from Dublin? Fly to Bristol and coach from there? Probably go pre pitched so won't be lugging too much gear. What's the craic with the National coach service? They drop on site it says. Is it a decent service? Reliable?

Surely the best bet would be to get the ferry across to Wales then train or coach down? Carry more baggage, better for the environment etc

• Like 1

14 hours ago, stereodista said:

The rain that night was absolutely biblical! Couldn’t believe how small the crowd was for Devo. 

Crazy wasnt it, i dont think ive witnessed rain like that much at a festival or decided to stay out in it. But im so happy i did as DEVO were awesome and i cant help but feel that horizontally falling rain added to the experience. 

Im not surprised the crowd was so small, my partner called it early during The comet is coming when the rain really started getting bad and it only got worse into DEVO.

I wont forget that night for a long time!

1 hour ago, BoogiemanCam said:

Surely the best bet would be to get the ferry across to Wales then train or coach down? Carry more baggage, better for the environment etc

You'd think. Dublin Holyhead is my only route, 3, 31/2 hour trip, leaves me with a 4 hour drive the other side, more presumably on the bus. I don't really want to have the car with me. Will cost me more that the fly + coach option and I'll be bollixed by the time I finally get there. That's not the look I'm going for. Less stress, more craic.

3 hours ago, Stillill42 said:

You'd think. Dublin Holyhead is my only route, 3, 31/2 hour trip, leaves me with a 4 hour drive the other side, more presumably on the bus. I don't really want to have the car with me. Will cost me more that the fly + coach option and I'll be bollixed by the time I finally get there. That's not the look I'm going for. Less stress, more craic.

There's a train that goes from Holyhead all the way to Abergavenny though so no need for coach or driving. Would be slower but I reckon would be less stress and can take much more baggage with you. + bit more in the ethos of the festival

• Thanks 1

I drove through Crickhowell and by the GM site today and to be honest regardless of the headliners I can’t wait til August and pulling me trolley though them gates!

Re the weather last year. It was biblical and definitely impacted Devo’s crowd, but to be fair I’ve seen fewer people at the main stage when the weather has been ok (Neutral Milk Hotel) and conversely pretty respectable numbers when it’s been peeing down (Super Furry Animals). I guess that’s one of the prices of a festival that’s willing to take risks with its lineup. And thankfully the ground is pretty forgiving. 

Just like most I’m underwhelmed by this years top names, but there’s some great stuff going on elsewhere. Personally looking forward to BCNR (again), Fat White Family, Nadine Shah (always puts on a great show) and Devandra Banhart - although if DB plays his most recent and brilliant album Flying Wig, they will need to resuscitate a comatose audience at the finish.

On 3/8/2024 at 11:44 AM, MadDog29 said:

Crazy wasnt it, i dont think ive witnessed rain like that much at a festival or decided to stay out in it. But im so happy i did as DEVO were awesome and i cant help but feel that horizontally falling rain added to the experience. 

Im not surprised the crowd was so small, my partner called it early during The comet is coming when the rain really started getting bad and it only got worse into DEVO.

I wont forget that night for a long time!

A big reason for me going last year was to see the Delgados. It should have been a celebration on that stage. In the end they had a tiny but committed audience. I think I'm still recovering from that set as I danced and drank myself through the downpour. I was physically and emotionally battered by the end of it.

33 minutes ago, Justiceforcedave said:

Anyone got any recommendations? Been diving into the lineup and found a lot to love so far. Especially keen for recommendations lower down the bill who slap live!

The Dutch music scene has been buzzing for five years now. Personal Trainer are another example of an act who would be much more hyped if they came out of east London . Lambrini Girls are absolute chaos.. Not necessarily in a good way but I'm sure they'll go down well 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Justiceforcedave said:

Anyone got any recommendations? Been diving into the lineup and found a lot to love so far. Especially keen for recommendations lower down the bill who slap live!

The Tubs feature a couple of members of Joanna Gruesome and in Dead Meat made one of my favourite albums of last year, saw it described as "if Richard Thompson had formed Sugar".

Islet have been around for years and years, their more recent work has tended towards more ambience but live they make a huge noisy psych sound and are far from averse to charging into the crowd and across the stage.

Man/Woman/Chainsaw are art-rock out of the Brixton Windmill scene and are supposedly hugely raucous live.

Brown Wimpenny have been mentioned, they use some of Lankum's drone and dread in service to huge chorales of old folk songs a la Shovel Dance Collective/Broadside Hacks.

Fulu Miziki look fun, they're an Afrofuturist collective from DR Congo with a lot of homemade percussion and dancing, they would surely suit anyone who loved BCUC or Kokoko!

• Like 2

On 3/8/2024 at 7:45 PM, Mambonumberfive said:

Re the weather last year. It was biblical and definitely impacted Devo’s crowd, but to be fair I’ve seen fewer people at the main stage when the weather has been ok (Neutral Milk Hotel) and conversely pretty respectable numbers when it’s been peeing down (Super Furry Animals). I guess that’s one of the prices of a festival that’s willing to take risks with its lineup.

I know besides your point, but I was surprised Neutral Milk Hotel was such a “controversial” act. Critically, in the aeroplane over the sea is regarded as a stone cold classic. You look at RYM, and the users there have rated it so highly, it’s currently #31 of all time. In some circles, the album is regarded as the pinnacle in indie rock. This shouldn’t have been a risky act for greenman to sign, especially as the band had previously been on a hefty hiatus. Just shows how much of a difficult job they have in curating these lineups. 

22 hours ago, Justiceforcedave said:

Whether you like their music or not, Lambrini Girls will be chaotic and a highlight of the weekend. 

On 3/9/2024 at 11:46 AM, Justiceforcedave said:

From lower down towards the top, and ofcourse from my taste id reccommened:

Ugly, Maruja, Man/Woman/Chainsaw, Tapir!, Blue Bendy, Hotline TNT, Lime Garden, Personal Trainer, Muireann Bradley, A Savage (from Parquet Courts), Oracle Sisters, Mannequin Pussy, Royel Otis, Model/Actrix, Sheer Mag, Wednesday, BDRMM, Blondshell, Bar Italia and Beak!

x

On 3/9/2024 at 11:46 AM, Justiceforcedave said:

Just mention a few on my list that I don't think have been named so far:

BIG SPECIAL, Getdown Services, Brown Horse, Opus Kink

On 3/7/2024 at 2:26 PM, noisenoiseandmorenoise said:

Having been to Green Man for the first time, it was hard not to make comparisons to EOTR so here goes -

-I preferred GM's stage set up. No risk of full tents, good viewing areas everywhere + distance between stages is okay). My usual festival self is rushing between stages. I didn't do that at all at GM.

-downside: assuming the  rain is a  regular occurrence, i thought the conditions could have been handled better. Perhaps this is harsh though I'd highlight that having a big part of the main tent be a 'no-go' area is not great.

- vibe: a lot of areas  have a Garden Stage vibe  in the sense of families sitting around. Doesn't bother me but seems to irritate a few.. at the other end, there were more pockets of bright off their tits young 'uns than I remember from eotr (to be clear not a lot, i suppose it stands out at such a festival)

- shops/drinks-an element of 'you need to know'..I only discovered the cider 'festival' late, the main merch place sold out of most stuff before I realised it existed. The beer courtyard is nice, slightly better than eotr (which I already consider really good for a festival)

-coaches (if you take them) appeared even less coordinated than other festival experiences. Leaving on the Monday was a mess

- eotr has this unbeatable magic where wandering around getting lost feels part of the joy. GM doesn't have that but on the other hand, the actual music bit was a better experience

Where was the cider festival? I was waiting to stumble across it last year but never did! Ended up thinking it must have been in the beer courtyard but they'd sold out

On 3/11/2024 at 1:12 PM, Fish Bulb said:

Just mention a few on my list that I don't think have been named so far:

BIG SPECIAL, Getdown Services, Brown Horse, Opus Kink

Getdown Services were fun, but I think they're one where the joke will wear thin a second time. A bit like Goldie Lookin' Chain.

BIG SPECIAL I saw as a support in a tiny venue and were excellent. They've already progressed to playing the Forum in London. Could be a busy one if on a small stage.

Opus Kink I also saw somewhere small a couple of years back and were decent enough. Were hyped up but don't seem to have taken off.

5 hours ago, Pej said:

Where was the cider festival? I was waiting to stumble across it last year but never did! Ended up thinking it must have been in the beer courtyard but they'd sold out

It was in the Babbling Tongues Field, down at the bottom bar.  They had a brilliant range of great ciders!

• Like 1

On 3/9/2024 at 12:22 PM, noisenoiseandmorenoise said:

A big reason for me going last year was to see the Delgados. It should have been a celebration on that stage. In the end they had a tiny but committed audience. I think I'm still recovering from that set as I danced and drank myself through the downpour. I was physically and emotionally battered by the end of it.

The Dutch music scene has been buzzing for five years now. Personal Trainer are another example of an act who would be much more hyped if they came out of east London . Lambrini Girls are absolute chaos.. Not necessarily in a good way but I'm sure they'll go down well 

Really loving Personal Trainer - thanks for the heads up. You are right, they would (and should) be better know if they were from UK. Assuming you are Dutch, and nothing to do with Green Man, are there any other Dutch bands you can recommend please?

3 hours ago, jjason said:

Really loving Personal Trainer - thanks for the heads up. You are right, they would (and should) be better know if they were from UK. Assuming you are Dutch, and nothing to do with Green Man, are there any other Dutch bands you can recommend please?

Personal Trainer great at EOTR last year, saw them twice there, they played one of the secret sets, and they also supported BC Camplight in Dublin. Huge energy, some great tunes and a sound bunch to boot.