Volunteering 2024

Chazwozza

On 4/2/2024 at 6:34 PM, Nuthugger said:

when the loo crew spray the high pressured jet at the toilets is it just water or is there some sort of disinfectant in it. i have memories of strolling on a hot glasto day and feeling/inhaling a lovely cool spray then seeing it was the loo crew lol. i just want to know what diseases I might develop in old age

I’ve made it to pensioner age and been subjected to the spray for a long time so reckon you’ve nothing to worry about😊😉

5 hours ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

I’ve made it to pensioner age and been subjected to the spray for a long time so reckon you’ve nothing to worry about😊😉

it must just kill all the bad stuff in you then. might start drinking a shot of bleach every day too

22 minutes ago, agroovin said:

Hi

got my shifts I swapped from the evening bin teams 

to the recycling centre 2

anyone who’s worked this before have any info on what I’ll be doing?

this was my second choice so happy to have got this

thanks 

I've done recycling centre once but basically you'll be sorting the recycling into plastic/paper/cans etc.  This can be one of around 3 roles:

1) tipping the bags onto the conveyer belts. 

2) sorting the rubbish that is tipped and putting it into respective wheelie bins.

3) Swapping over full wheelie bins for empty ones and taking the full ones to be emptied.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, dondo said:

I've done recycling centre once but basically you'll be sorting the recycling into plastic/paper/cans etc.  This can be one of around 3 roles:

1) tipping the bags onto the conveyer belts. 

2) sorting the rubbish that is tipped and putting it into respective wheelie bins.

3) Swapping over full wheelie bins for empty ones and taking the full ones to be emptied.

Thanks looking forward to this ♻️

24 minutes ago, Mr. B said:

Apologies if already covered way-back in the thread, but does anyone know when Oxfam shifts (and potential for early shifts) is announced? Trying to plan my travel!

Early shifts will get notice about 2 weeks before the festival.

Beyond that, are unlikely to get specifics until you arrive.

The general advice is to only apply for earlies if your travel plans can be flexible.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 3/27/2024 at 4:35 AM, Paul ™ said:

It will hopefully be working as a Gate Manager directly for the festival.

On 3/27/2024 at 1:20 PM, Paul ™ said:

ot sure what I would get, but arrival day is the Saturday, commence on the Sunday till the following Monday. 

On 3/27/2024 at 3:55 PM, philipsteak said:

Friendly, approachable, know everything there is to know about running a Glastonbury gate and usually absolutely recognise the fact that we're volunteers (not always the case at some festivals). 

They are also usually an excellent source of gossip, so if you haven't already you'll need to up your gossip game Paul.

Got confirmation email yesterday, quite excited about this as not worked Glastonbury for nearly 20 years.

I think once you have done volunteering at festivals and then go to a paid role, you appreciate what other people are experiencing and I would never expect anyone to do anything I wasn't prepared to do myself.

Apparently there are 30+ gates that get covered, won't find out where I am located till nearer the time, but hopefully one of the busier public gates as it would be more interesting.

9 shifts, fed 3 meals a day and we get staff camping near the farm I believe, not sure what field but there are bunkabins and we will have our caravan with us (my OH and myself).

Will definitely try to get to the Monday night meet up 😁

Oh and I never Gossip 🤔😉

• Upvote 4

7 hours ago, Paul ™ said:

Got confirmation email yesterday, quite excited about this as not worked Glastonbury for nearly 20 years.

I think once you have done volunteering at festivals and then go to a paid role, you appreciate what other people are experiencing and I would never expect anyone to do anything I wasn't prepared to do myself.

Apparently there are 30+ gates that get covered, won't find out where I am located till nearer the time, but hopefully one of the busier public gates as it would be more interesting.

9 shifts, fed 3 meals a day and we get staff camping near the farm I believe, not sure what field but there are bunkabins and we will have our caravan with us (my OH and myself).

Oh and I never Gossip 🤔😉

If it's the same gate crew that have a team that work on VG5 they were getting fed up by Tom's field last year so I would assume you'd be camping up near there somewhere. 

8 hours ago, Paul ™ said:

Oh and I never Gossip 🤔😉

Excellent news mate. See you mon/tues at some point

9 hours ago, Paul ™ said:

Oh and I never Gossip 🤔😉

From the ones I've met I assumed that was the main criteria

10 hours ago, Paul ™ said:

Oh and I never Gossip 🤔😉

Congratulations! How many of the 9 shifts are festival days. I’m with Oxfam and usually on PGC which is nice and busy which is more fun. 

3 hours ago, Chazeboy said:

Excellent news mate. See you mon/tues at some point

Yes mate for sure, myself and Sadie are both there for the duration.

2 hours ago, philipsteak said:

From the ones I've met I assumed that was the main criteria

Shhhhh... the walls have ears 👀

1 hour ago, stuie said:

Congratulations! How many of the 9 shifts are festival days. I’m with Oxfam and usually on PGC which is nice and busy which is more fun. 

We work right through, paid work so no days off, though I suspect by the Sunday we won't have a lot to do. 
Start on the Saturday before, up till the Sunday.

Just now, Helgatron said:

Have any of the Avalon lot heard anything about when the training day will be in May? 

Their Facebook group page "Avalon Bars & Events x Glastonbury volunteering" says an email will be sent out tomorrow.

• Like 1

I'm a solo Avalon/CALM volunteer this year hoping to drive from East London - does anyone else want to try and come as a passenger in my car, as I see that carpooling increases chances of getting a permit. Also would be fun to drive down with fellow volunteers!

Hi all,

Does anyone know if Stewarding places with Oxfam have been popping back up randomly at all since the last announced sale?

Am on the constant look out for spots but don’t know if they’re holding them all back for another sale again after the resale?

37 minutes ago, JackP1994 said:

Does anyone know if Stewarding places with Oxfam have been popping back up randomly at all since the last announced sale?

Someone posted they got one a couple of weeks ago, but I'm not aware of anything else since the main 'giveaway' !

Last year they did a big resale drop in early May, and then sporadic one-offs or clusters thereafter, until close to the fest.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, This_Fields_Good said:

Someone posted they got one a couple of weeks ago, but I'm not aware of anything else since the main 'giveaway' !

Last year they did a big resale drop in early May, and then sporadic one-offs or clusters thereafter, until close to the fest.

Yeah, the chances are so small and for the effort involved that it's not even worth looking until at minimum the middle of next week.

More likely some point after the cancellation deadline on May 3rd is when they'll drop a load at once.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1