Volunteering 2024

Chazwozza

1 hour ago, stuie said:

.  As more people qualify, getting a place without it is going to be almost impossible. 

It'll certainly be interesting to see what happens to priority in the next few years. It's still never sold out even with most festivals selling out the last couple years. And unless they keep replacing them Oxfam are going to have fewer festivals to use to qualify for priority, with NASS already cancelled and this being Shindigs last year.

5 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

It'll certainly be interesting to see what happens to priority in the next few years. It's still never sold out even with most festivals selling out the last couple years. And unless they keep replacing them Oxfam are going to have fewer festivals to use to qualify for priority, with NASS already cancelled and this being Shindigs last year.

Hopefully it will all balance out and the team manage to replace events that they lose. 

And if they don't I guess having priority doesn't guarantee you a Glastonbury place, but the chance to try for one on release day, same as for Bearded etc.

I can't see them actually changing the criteria for priority at all. 

Just now, stuie said:

Hopefully it will all balance out and the team manage to replace events that they lose. 

And if they don't I guess having priority doesn't guarantee you a Glastonbury place, but the chance to try for one on release day, same as for Bearded etc.

I can't see them actually changing the criteria for priority at all. 

If shin dig 2for1 works I could see them doing similar for ones that don't sell out as fast. I know they've struggled with Boomtown before. 

I note that the two sites are only about 25 miles apart.
Couldn't decide if this biased things a bit geographically, one way or the other :
a) if you can do the travel to one, you can do the travel to the other;
b) if you live quite local, it's a whole lot easier than having to make two long treks just a few weeks apart.
But, that seems to have become less relevant, because...

12 hours ago, Leyrulion said:

If Shindig 2for1 works I could see them doing similar for ones that don't sell out as fast. I know they've struggled with Boomtown before.

Clearly this strategy is working in the short term - I see that Shindig is now sold out on the Oxfam website.
I wonder if there is now a possibility that priority access on 1st May may NOT guarantee the option of a Glastonbury place ?!?

Shindig was added later than all the other festivals so I think they’ve struggled because most people have already committed to the maximum number of festivals they want to do before it was an option.

….& other holiday commitments built around that too.

if I needed this, I’d be stuffed because I’ll be in Greece the last weekend in May but I can see that it’s a good idea for Oxfam to fulfil their contracts, & just like that, Shindig’s now full! 

1 minute ago, This_Fields_Good said:

While that's true on face value, it's maybe a shade unfair. Glastonbury is a whole other level, with people literally prepared to travel from all over the world.

1 minute ago, This_Fields_Good said:

I wonder if there is now a possibility that priority access on 1st May may NOT guarantee the option of a Glastonbury place ?!?

I would think/hope that the team are smart enough not to pull a stunt like that. Shindig is (jointly) the smallest capacity festival on the list, and so will be a fairly small crew. I'd assume about 150 total, maybe 250 max, and so even if they still needed to fill a majority of the places it won't take that many Glastonbury cancellations for the numbers to match up.

But tbh even if that did turn out to be the case - May 1st is well within the 1 week "penalty free" cancellation window and so anyone who missed out could just cancel the spot and they'd be back to square one.

6 minutes ago, amfy said:

Shindig was added later than all the other festivals so I think they’ve struggled because most people have already committed to the maximum number of festivals they want to do before it was an option.

It also won't have helped that it's the same weekend as Bearded - which is a "first choice" festival for a lot of the more experienced/regular volunteers (hence always filling in the first couple minutes of the priority window) and so many of the people who would have a natural inclination to give the new festival a try would have already made their choice.

• Upvote 2

On 4/27/2024 at 11:39 AM, This_Fields_Good said:

I note that the two sites are only about 25 miles apart.
Couldn't decide if this biased things a bit geographically, one way or the other :
b) if you live quite local, it's a whole lot easier than having to make two long treks just a few weeks apart.
But, that seems to have become less relevant, because...

we live in the north and there aren’t many Oxfam festivals that are a short trek. We do long treks for Glastonbury, Beautiful Days, Boomtown…& once for Latitude. It’d be great if they could somehow pick up a few more up our end of the country to make getting priority a bit easier for those not in the south. 

although we’ve gone back to those festivals again & again because we love them. Only Latitude didn’t give us enough to go back for. 

Edited by amfy
Typo
  • Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, amfy said:

we live in the north and there aren’t many Oxfam festivals that are a short trek. We do long treks for Glastonbury, Beautiful Days, Boomtown…& once for Latitude. It’d be great if they could somehow pick up a few more up our end of the country to make getting priority a bit easier for those not in the south. 

although we’ve gone back to those festivals again & again because we live them. Only Latitude didn’t give us enough to go back for. 

To be honest, it just seems to be the way things roll as I have had similar experiences with WaterAid although they do Bestival in Shropshire (Telford) which is a bit closer to home.

Dates of other festivals clashing with real life stuff resulted in my volunteering for Pilton Party last year to keep up the two events per year battle rhythm with WaterAid.

I drove down early on the Friday of the event and camped in staff camping after the gig and headed home early Saturday morning to attend Manchester psych fest all dayer that day. Proper done in on the Sunday.

It is worth it though. Its taking more and more commitment from volunteers to guarantee Glastonbury access which seems to be becoming the norm across many access routes into Glastonbury.

It works for the charities, the festivals and the volunteers.  The more commitment shown results in a good standard of volunteer and the "doing a bunk" risk is taken out of the equation. Our summer festival season (usually around 5 attended with partner) are a mixture of paid attendance and volunteering. We work hard for the charities and are invariably a shoe in for future events / opportunities.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, This_Fields_Good said:

Clearly this strategy is working in the short term - I see that Shindig is now sold out on the Oxfam website.

I can't see that being the case as they have now confirmed that the offer is also applicable for existing Shindig volunteers.

Screenshot_20240427-124642.png

29 minutes ago, buddiepaul said:

Has anyone who volunteered for Shindig received any further info from Oxfam about resale window tomorrow?

Wouldn't expect further info tbh. They've previously said places will open 9am on May 1st and that places booked in that window are contingent on completing Shindig. I'm not really sure what else there is to say about it as everything else will be "as was" - same deposit amount, same T&Cs.

34 minutes ago, buddiepaul said:

Has anyone who volunteered for Shindig received any further info from Oxfam about resale window tomorrow

You could always check their Facebook group, https://www.facebook.com/share/s3SybEZY92gggncS/ otherwise here is the original post which gives the time and date. 

On 4/26/2024 at 6:24 PM, thewomble said:

1D70D217-2FB4-406E-8742-5AA88CBBA5C3.thumb.jpeg.11cd3f8fe87d70d7ec230898eed7e93c.jpeg

1 hour ago, buddiepaul said:

Has anyone who volunteered for Shindig received any further info from Oxfam about resale window tomorrow?

No but I plan to be logging in for 9am to try. I assume the option to sign up for Glastonbury will only be open if your account shows you have a Shindig place too. 🤞

Keep us updated! My expectation is there’s plenty of tickets for the expected demand so we should hear good news only!