Crying Loads at Glasto this year

tom22

On 6/30/2023 at 10:16 PM, T-Mouse said:

Golden Hair by Slowdive weirdly proved the tipping point for me. It might be my last time at the farm for a while for numerous reasons. Kind of all just crystallised and became too much. Still fragile thinking about it. 

This was the one for me too. Such an emotional set as it was, but there's something uniquely beautiful about that song. It brings a lot to the surface...I was in bits

Also welled up during CMAT and, for some reason, Los Bitchos

My other blub was during This Is Yesterday by the Manics. Caught me a bit off guard. A lovely fellow weeper came over for a hug, my heart could've burst

I do need to sort this out tbh. At the current rate, by 2030 or so I'll be crying for the full five days straight

Last year was my first Glastonbury and I cried a lot. Wasn’t expecting to but there I am at the Libertines at 11am and I’m crying as the opening riff of Don’t Look Back Into The Sun. 

Was not looking forward to Max Richter early Saturday this year, thought I was going to be in bits but think the drugs  from previous night were just blocking all emotion. Welled up at My Hero at Foo Fighters and a bit at Your Song on the Sunday but I’ve definitely cried a lot more post Glasto this year. 

On 7/3/2023 at 4:44 PM, plaskins said:

I cried twice during Elton, during rocket man and your song. Also couldn't hold it back when lightning seeds played perfect. 

A Glastonbury crying fit is the best type of crying. 

I forgot about Lightening Seeds. Had a lump in my throat during Sense. I adore that song and the mention of Terry Hall had me 😢

Generation Sex, behind my sunglasses I really teared up. The Pistols and the Punk era is my dads fave and it reminded me of all his stories from the Finsbury Park rainbow and listening to John Peel late at night in the 70’s. It’s funny cos that morning I literally woke up not knowing who they were and then put 2 and 2 together, I immediately messaged him and we was really laughing about what they was gonna be like nowadays. Thought Billy was absolutely fantastic mind you.

Also Foos - my Hero, first act I saw and was so overwhelming watching it. Take me back!

• Like 1

Ahhhh the Glastonbury cry! 

This year I caved early, on Friday. I love Chvrches anyway, we got right to the front, and they were simply stunning throughout. Also cried during Daniel by Elton. My dad used to play that album on repeat in the car on our annual camping trip to Scotland when I was little. 

Last year, I cried during Emmy Lou by First Aid Kit who I've loved for years but never seen live. I ended up with sun cream in my eye balls, so a little happy tear led to lots of painful tears and a trip from First Aid Kit at Other to the First Aid Tent near West Holts to have my eyes washed out. All rather embarrassing! 

4 hours ago, Db79 said:I ended up with sun cream in my eye balls, so a little happy tear led to lots of painful tears and a trip from First Aid Kit at Other to the First Aid Tent near West Holts to have my eyes washed out. All rather embarrassing! 

I had this with Raye. She did ‘Ice Cream Man’ very early in the set and her voice was breaking even as she introduced it so I was crying before the song even started. 
Then, due to sun cream running into my eyes I cried for the whole of the rest of her set! 

Lovely to see/read this thread. 20 years ago you would **not** have seen something like this on eFests.

Thats not to say people didnt get emotional at the festival, although I do think the depths to which people experience the place has changed and their confidence in sharing their feelings on here certainly has. Bravo, folks.

I'm an awful whinger at times. Three humdingers that come to mind - during The River. Stevie during "Don't You Worry Bout A Thing", John Grant during "Glacier"... a mess.

Frequent cryer. This year to the songs of Elton, Gabriels & Weyes Blood. But also I lost a friend not long ago to prostate cancer. His favourite artist was Steve Earle, so after Gabriels I went up to the Acoustic to watch and barely lasted the first verse of the first song before dissolving. 

• Like 1

Welled up at the beginning of Young Fathers just from the sheer power of it all.  

"Father and Son" got me too, as well as "Daniel" (i had hoped for it) and "Your Song"

I know there were some other times too.  I'm more and more of a softy as I get older  

On 7/5/2023 at 12:04 PM, Wooderson said:

John Grant during "Glacier"... a mess.

That song gets me right in the feels every time! When I saw it at Bridgewater Hall with the full orchestra just wow!! 

Although Kae Tempest is the all timer for getting me weeping at Glastonbury. I have lost count of how often they have made me cry. I can feel the raw emotion in their voice and it gets me every time, 

Yer 100%. Started ten years ago on the Sunday, just crying watching a little band outside a tent. It was a boozy year! Now everly year I'm a mess most of the weekend and post. Just talking about stuff but the tears well up. In part I thinks it's just adrenaline and ties in with life outside Glasto as adrenaline gets me through my normal job.

Happy tears but still.

• Like 1

On 7/7/2023 at 6:10 PM, CaledonianGonzo said:

Anyone clocked that CMAT's new single is a John Grant duet 👀 

Saw John Grant and Richard Hawley doing the songs of Patsy Cline last night so looks like he's on a country vibe at the moment and frankly I'm here for it. His voice sounded sublime.

Sunday was as near a prefect day at Glastonbury as I've had. Elvana, Blondie, Editors, The War on Drugs and Elton.

With the sun going down behind us watching the War on Drugs the tears flowed with happiness. With my fiance next to me at his first Glastonbury I don't think I could have felt any happier than I did that day. 

Tears continued for Elton.. it was a  beautiful

On 7/8/2023 at 3:09 AM, gigpusher said:

That song gets me right in the feels every time! When I saw it at Bridgewater Hall with the full orchestra just wow!! 

Saw the same at Bristol. Emily was there as well, apparently. An unreal gig. I’d only discovered him a week earlier and had Pale Green Ghosts on repeat for days. I’ve enjoyed his material since but it’s hard to see how he can top that album. 

5 minutes ago, kalifire said:

Saw the same at Bristol. Emily was there as well, apparently. An unreal gig. I’d only discovered him a week earlier and had Pale Green Ghosts on repeat for days. I’ve enjoyed his material since but it’s hard to see how he can top that album. 

Yep it's weird because he doesn't seem to realise how great his voice is and on some later albums has done this kind of talking style that most artists do because they aren't blessed with his talent.

Was lucky enough to see him and Richard Hawley do the songs of Patsy Cline the other night and his collaboration with CMAT (who incidentally would have been a perfect acts for you to enjoy at Woodsies and would have gotten you shade) are using that beautiful voice so I'm hopeful that his next material might see him using his beautiful voice to its full potential