Crying Loads at Glasto this year

tom22

5 hours ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

My grandma died last year. Every year she'd buy me "bits" for glastonbury. (Wipes, suncream etc). 

Every year she said "Think of me when the fireworks are going". She loved fireworks

Last year I filmed them and forgot to show her.

She went into hospital 3 weeks later.

This year as the fireworks started, I was sat on my own & filmed them. The fact that there was smoke covering them up up this year seemed right. I couldnt show her.

Got me pretty choked up, I wont lie.

I'm soft as anything, so often cry at certain things, although as with most of us they're often related to sad or poignant things in my own life. 

Somehow against all odds none of the things mentioned by folks above triggered me, yet of course I'm ever so touched by your special tale.  You clearly had such a lovely relationship with your grandma and she had these special ways of sharing the love of the festival with you. 

I was just writing "she sounds very special", but then it did indeed bring a year to my eye. 

12 hours ago, Skip997 said:

Not this year, at least not until I was back home and looking back.

Only time I remember crying at Glastonbury was at Kae Tempests 2017 West Holts set, along with half the crowd.

I don't think I cried at that one, I just stood there with my jaw on the floor for 45 mins

Had tears in my eyes and emotional about 5 times this year. Compared to zero previous years. Don’t know why!

May have been because the atmosphere this year was amazing. Helped by the good weather. I also feel like any of the acts that I seen were really appreciative this year. When the act is appreciative + the audience appreciative it makes for a feel good atmosphere!

Normally I do have at least one or 2 emotional moments but this year I didn’t. Had a few aw moments but I think I must have sweated out all moisture and had no tears available this year. 

My aw moments were CMAT just seeming genuinely overwhelmed at the reception she got and the story behind I wanna be a cowboy. 

Lottery Winners feeling like they had indeed won the lottery on Strummerville 

Laura Mvula seeming to be really enjoying herself on Avalon and actually referencing the fact that her last appearances were both on the Pyramid but this felt more special 

Had my first ever cry at a gig (I have been to a lot of gigs!) during Carlie Rae Jepsen doing "I Really Like You". I just got married a month ago and it reminds me of my wife - CRJ is her favourite so I was stood back with her stuff after sending her into the pit for a proper dance.

It just totally finished me off. Got some weird glances from everyone else watching, lol. 

Edited by OllieMadd
Spelling
  • Upvote 2

Cat Stevens opening with The Wind and closing with Father and Son were some tearful bookends. Grohl saying ‘sing this loud for T,’ was another one.

Was saying this to my partner, been experiencing live music for over 20 years and I’ve started crying at everything in the last 3 or 4. 

If I’m getting more sensitive in my old age bring it. Feelings are good. 

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I cried in one of the composters on Monday morning when I remembered CMAT doing Nashville.

She was incredible. Seeing her owning the Woodsies tent, having seen her in tiny places, got a bit of dust in my eye!

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Amy Lawn said:

Used to cry every Glastonbury Sunday like clockwork even before I was guzzling down 10mg of estradiol per day. These day I cry at nothing like 4 times a week on average. Imagine how I got when CMAT did Nashville, imagine how I got when CMAT did Wanna Be A Cowboy, imagine how I got when Bird On The Wire did Chelsea Hotel, imagine how I got when Bird On The Wire did So Long Marianne, imagine how I got when Lil Nas X did Montero, imagine how I got when Caroline Polachek dedicated a song to SOPHIE, imagine how I got when I was standing alone in the crowd with everyone singing along to Your Song and then as the second chorus hit I felt arms around my waist and my partner goes in my ear "I had to find you, I could not leave you alone for this one" 😭😭😭

A miracle I wasn't in the welfare tent with dehydration tbqh

Bird On A Wire were excellent, set me off a few times remembering the one time I got to see Leonard Cohen. 

CMAT, as I mentioned in post above. Foo's doing Everlong set me off a bit too. 

Didn’t even get a ticket this year, but add me to the crying list. Staying at my Mum’s tonight after a drunk afternoon with old friends. I put on the Sparks set on IPlayer and was barely concealing tears at both “When do I get to sing my way” and “All that”.

Jesus Christ I love that band so much. Gutted I’ve probably missed the boat on seeing them now.

I suppose it's a Glastonbury thing, isn't it? If Cat Stevens does Father and Son at some middling festival in my local park and the bloke in front starts singing the song to his lad, I'm fine. But if the same thing happens in the Pyramid field with the magic in the air and just everything about the place, the effort we go through to even be present let alone be awake by Sunday afternoon, I'm a wreck?

So I figure, don't feel weird about those moments where you had something in your eye, because it's not you, it's those fields. 

Life was getting a bit tough and I cried my eyes out (behind sunglasses) at bjorn again opening the pyramid last year maybe? I'm not even a huge abba fan but seeing the pyramid in full flow for the first time after a while just hit me and no one I was with knew it.

4 hours ago, Serenefishy said:

Didn’t even get a ticket this year, but add me to the crying list. Staying at my Mum’s tonight after a drunk afternoon with old friends. I put on the Sparks set on IPlayer and was barely concealing tears at both “When do I get to sing my way” and “All that”.

Jesus Christ I love that band so much. Gutted I’ve probably missed the boat on seeing them now.

It says you can ask to be alerted about tour news on here.  I hadn't seen them live until last year and have seen em twice and both times they were fantastic (plus missed them at the park due to clash sadly) - maybe you'll get a chance too hopefully?

https://allsparks.com/ 

More by accident than design, I ended up seeing the last 30mins of the Paul Carrick set. Is there ever a more emotional song about losing a father than The Living Years? As the experience was unplanned it did make the three of us - all now father-less - shed a few tears. 

I also had tears of joy as Cate Blanchett joined Sparks. Never did I imagine such an unusual one-off video would be recreated on stage. It was a blissful, tearful moment. 

13 hours ago, 1986 said:

Cat Stevens opening with The Wind and closing with Father and Son were some tearful bookends. Grohl saying ‘sing this loud for T,’ was another one.

Was saying this to my partner, been experiencing live music for over 20 years and I’ve started crying at everything in the last 3 or 4. 

If I’m getting more sensitive in my old age bring it. Feelings are good. 

The crowd joining in always gets me. Or better yet, taking a song or a chorus, say, and running with it. There's something so joyful and communal about it that sets me off. So it can be multiple times a gig for me!

I'm definitely getting more sensitive in my old age

• Upvote 1

Cried at the 'joy' speech halfway through Ezra Collective. Really resonated with me and some stuff I'm working through at the moment. 

Watched Elton with my Mum - her brother died of cancer when he was 27 and he was a massive Elton fan so my Mum was in pieces through the whole set bless her! 

On 6/30/2023 at 8:43 PM, FuzzyDunlop said:

My grandma died last year. Every year she'd buy me "bits" for glastonbury. (Wipes, suncream etc). 

Every year she said "Think of me when the fireworks are going". She loved fireworks

Last year I filmed them and forgot to show her.

She went into hospital 3 weeks later.

This year as the fireworks started, I was sat on my own & filmed them. The fact that there was smoke covering them up up this year seemed right. I couldnt show her.

Got me pretty choked up, I wont lie.

Oof. Right in the feels Fuzz

1 hour ago, Skip997 said:

To be honest I could burst into tears at any moment partly due to remembering so many beautiful human interactions at Glastonbury this year and partly due to the sh*t I'm having to endure at the moment.

Sorry to hear that, hope it gets better soon.