Legends Slot 2024

FuzzyDunlop

22 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I agree she's not as big as Kylie, but Kylie got one of the biggest crowds ever assembled in front of the Pyramid - so not many people are.

Part of the reason for the massive crowd was the pulling out of the headliner slot in 2005? And the reasons that she pulled out for. There was a lot of emotional energy in that field and it was a moment. 

To me Shania, or most other legends,will never have or create that amount of energy . True moments are quite rare even on the farm. 

Shania needs to be compared with run of the mill legends. Does she compare to Ray Davies. Tom Jones etc?  Yes.  She has the stature to do it 

Having said that she doesn’t do it for me and I probably wouldn’t be there. 

10 minutes ago, giantkatestacks said:

Yeah they don't have title recognition but when you hear them I would be surprised if most people over 35 had never heard You're still the One. It is the sort of tune that you imagine was Whitney but isnt.

Yeah I was surprised when you said huge, as like skip they mean nowt to me and I'm over 35.  But then I probably wouldn't have been listening to places that played her tunes...i only know the biggest two from the videos getting so much airplay at the time. 

37 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I agree that the UK public has a soft spot for Kylie based on all number of things, but I'm not sure her pulling out in 2005 was that big of a factor in her ginormo-crowd. The soft-spot alone would be enough to stow the place out.

The fact she'd previously pulled out would have made no difference.

But the reason behind it (the cancer diagnosis and recovery) does contribute to her story and probably therefore to her National Treasure status.

(Yes I know she's Aussie. Still has the status regardless)

Edited by incident

2 minutes ago, incident said:

The fact she'd previously pulled out would have made no difference.

But the reason behind it (the cancer diagnosis and recovery) does contribute to her story and probably therefore to her National Treasure status.

(Yes I know she's Aussie. Still has the status regardless)

I was just going from personal memories. I would not have gone to her headline show, but after her pulling out with breast cancer and then the number of people wearing Kylie masks and hot pants and flags with supportive messages to her I think that most people who were there both years would have gone to see her 

23 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I assume - maybe incorrectly- that they're still rinsed on things like Radio 2 or Greatest Hits Radio or what have you.

Good call.  I've had times when I switch to R2 and I'm sure I should be very much target demographic (if I'm not too old!), several of the presenters I like on the telly, but I quickly find that the shows have far more chat than I'm used to.  

Anyone saying Shania couldn’t do the legend slot is kidding themselves! Isn’t Come On Over in the ten top best selling albums of all time? 

From This Moment On/You’re Still The One are first dance wedding staples, and her other two world beaters are all time karaoke classics. That’s before she’s even got to anything even slightly below surface level. And she’s had a chart hit this year too! 

There would be leopard print as far as the eye can see. It would be a madness.

that said, I don’t think she has a particular pretence and I could see Cher, for example, being legend or nothing in a way I don’t necessarily think Shania would *demand*. But does she qualify for that slot? Without question.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, king_oxymoron said:

Anyone saying Shania couldn’t do the legend slot is kidding themselves! Isn’t Come On Over in the ten top best selling albums of all time? 

From This Moment On/You’re Still The One are first dance wedding staples, and her other two world beaters are all time karaoke classics. That’s before she’s even got to anything even slightly below surface level. And she’s had a chart hit this year too! 

There would be leopard print as far as the eye can see. It would be a madness.

that said, I don’t think she has a particular pretence and I could see Cher, for example, being legend or nothing in a way I don’t necessarily think Shania would *demand*. But does she qualify for that slot? Without question.

Welcome to eFests 🤣

Shania would piss it, is enormous, and has stacks of hits. Regardless if you think you recognise the title or not.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Madyaker said:

Yeah I’m not being ageist or trying to say she isn’t a legend but isn’t she a bit young for the legends slot? 

Kylie Minogue = 55 years
Shania Twain = 58 years