Legends Slot 2024

FuzzyDunlop

Just now, Justiceforcedave said:

Probably not for the teatime slot (most suited to a Roger Waters/Leonard Cohen-style almighty sub)... but what about about a widdle Tom Waits? Apparently he popped up a handful of times last year.

https://www.nme.com/news/music/tom-waits-is-reportedly-writing-again-3447515

On 7/24/2023 at 9:04 AM, ProperTea said:

Victoria Beckham has posted a video of her singing a Spice Girls song with the caption "warming up the vocals in Miami!! More to come 🤫!! 🎵🎤"

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZGJVT1URn/

Incidentally, her and David are completely off their twats in it.

Warming up to mime most of it !! I bet it sounds great in the world David looks like he is in 🤣

50 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Listening to the Joni gig from Newport last year. Someone needs to give her a bell. Get her to play, somewhere, anywhere, for any amount of time. 

It's the absolute dream but there's no just Joni. It would need to be the whole Joni jam these days and I just don't know if there's the budget or the ability to get her to travel that far etc. If it ever happened you would see me in a puddle of my own tears for the entire thing. Genuinely would be a dream come true. (I've actually had the dream)

9 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

It's the absolute dream but there's no just Joni. It would need to be the whole Joni jam these days and I just don't know if there's the budget or the ability to get her to travel that far etc. If it ever happened you would see me in a puddle of my own tears for the entire thing. Genuinely would be a dream come true. (I've actually had the dream)

Unless she feels well enough to do a few other gigs while shes over. RAH et al. Im sure theres been promoters in touch. 

in a world where the Joni Jam does come to glasto - i would say it has to be headline or nothing.  Don't use the Newport gig as a reference, instead look up stuff from the Gorge show this past June.  the gig was 3 hours long, and included songs from Sarah Mclaughlin, Marcus Mumford, Annie Lennox, and of course Brandi Carlisle.  Plus, Joni performed a whole lot better than at Newport.   I still don't think it's happening, but if it did - that's a headline slot. 

On 7/24/2023 at 9:04 AM, ProperTea said:

Victoria Beckham has posted a video of her singing a Spice Girls song with the caption "warming up the vocals in Miami!! More to come 🤫!! 🎵🎤"

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZGJVT1URn/

Incidentally, her and David are completely off their twats in it.

If it’s them then I’d rather refer to it as a Sunday tea time slot rather than legend 

17 hours ago, Olshansky said:

in a world where the Joni Jam does come to glasto - i would say it has to be headline or nothing.  Don't use the Newport gig as a reference, instead look up stuff from the Gorge show this past June.  the gig was 3 hours long, and included songs from Sarah Mclaughlin, Marcus Mumford, Annie Lennox, and of course Brandi Carlisle.  Plus, Joni performed a whole lot better than at Newport.   I still don't think it's happening, but if it did - that's a headline slot. 

An extra long headliner slot would be absolutely fine by me. Just seeing her do one song live would be incredible. The more I could see the better! 

Whilst it would be a huge coup to get Joni, or Tom Waits, neither would be headlining or even playing the Legend slot in my opinion. They just don't fit the mould for what's expected for the slots these days and would be lost on a modern Glasto audience. If they were to do a Joni Jam over here I think it would be in front of her own fans. 

4 minutes ago, henry bear said:

Whilst it would be a huge coup to get Joni, or Tom Waits, neither would be headlining or even playing the Legend slot in my opinion. They just don't fit the mould for what's expected for the slots these days and would be lost on a modern Glasto audience. If they were to do a Joni Jam over here I think it would be in front of her own fans. 

I reckon Cat Stevens has dialled those expectations back. We've returned to it not having to be a disco party.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Gnomicide said:

I reckon Cat Stevens has dialled those expectations back. We've returned to it not having to be a disco party.

Yep. A reset was very much needed, and was executed well with a cracking (but relative to previous years very understated) performance from Yusuf and the sop of Blondie for those who might be inclined to get upset.

With that extra freedom, Joni Mitchell in 2024 would be a genuinely outstanding booking and genuinely worthy of the "legend" tag.

4 hours ago, henry bear said:

This is spot on imo. It would be an incredible coup but if Joni were to put the effort in to come to the country why play to a festival crowd rather than an intimate gig for the diehard fans? 

49 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Annie Lennox appearing with Alicia Keys... 

Annie is the one

lord i want this to be true.  but in Annie's instagram caption she says "I don't tour anymore". 

not that it couldnt be a one-off, but it was disheartening to read 

10 hours ago, Olshansky said:

Do we think Cyndi Lauper could pull off the legend slot?  I know she headlined acoustic in 2016 but those hits certainly are loved by everyone.  

Yes, no doubt about it. Would be a fantastic choice and probably inevitable at some point.