Legends Slot 2024

FuzzyDunlop

41 minutes ago, O'Doyle Rules said:

Imagine Duran Duran would headline right? Would be a great Sunday legend booking, though.

I think they think of themselves as a headliner, hence why they haven’t appeared at the festival yet, but nah, no chance they’d get that call. Sunday legend is the perfect spot for them, and if the festival moves on to booking bands for that slot, I’d hope they’d be one of the first acts approached because they’d nail it. 

23 hours ago, jonnyisRFC said:

What about Bob Dylan? 

Jeez wept!! 

Based on the last gig of his I saw - British Summer Time, Hyde Park, pre-covid - that would be an appalling booking. 

His voice was shot, sounded like a total muddy mumble, and the song arrangements were a complete unmitigated disaster. Practically unrecognisable 

Edited by airwaves
Spelling

32 minutes ago, airwaves said:

Jeez wept!! 

Based on the last gig of his I saw - British Summer Time, Hyde Park, pre-covid - that would be an appalling booking. 

His voice was shot, sounded like a total muddy mumble, and the song arrangements were a complete unmitigated disaster. Practically unrecognisable 

That’s a shame! Before posting that I thought I’d better check he hadn’t hung up his guitar yet but amazingly he’s still playing shows. 

From the suggestions in this thread, there is still potentially shed loads of people who would be great and keep the legend slot going. Who knows what wavelength Emily is on...We'll just have to wait and see until there's a solid bit of intel

Robbie is a case of when not if.  He's actively campaigning for it.

Robbie Williams still has one thing on his musical bucketlist: playing the Legends slot at Glastonbury. The former Take That star has only played the iconic festival once during his 30 years in the industry back in 1998 after going solo.

The singer admitted on the Robbie Williams Rewind podcast: "I’ve not been asked yet. I know I’d slaughter it. It’s one of those times and places, and a reimagination of what Robbie Williams is.

"When you do Glastonbury, perception changes more than any other festival. Diana Ross could play any festival and not get any traction, but she plays Glastonbury and everybody is talking about it, like Barry Gibb.

"A lot of people there have an oblique perception of what I am. But if they saw me do it, I would take their heads off.

"I look forward to doing it if I get the opportunity."

https://virginradio.co.uk/music/89626/robbie-williams-wants-to-do-glastonbury-and-says-he-would-slaughter-it

Can't think of a single reason the fest would say no.  It's a total tap in.

37 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Robbie is a case of when not if.  He's actively campaigning for it.

Robbie Williams still has one thing on his musical bucketlist: playing the Legends slot at Glastonbury. The former Take That star has only played the iconic festival once during his 30 years in the industry back in 1998 after going solo.

The singer admitted on the Robbie Williams Rewind podcast: "I’ve not been asked yet. I know I’d slaughter it. It’s one of those times and places, and a reimagination of what Robbie Williams is.

"When you do Glastonbury, perception changes more than any other festival. Diana Ross could play any festival and not get any traction, but she plays Glastonbury and everybody is talking about it, like Barry Gibb.

"A lot of people there have an oblique perception of what I am. But if they saw me do it, I would take their heads off.

"I look forward to doing it if I get the opportunity."

https://virginradio.co.uk/music/89626/robbie-williams-wants-to-do-glastonbury-and-says-he-would-slaughter-it

Can't think of a single reason the fest would say no.  It's a total tap in.

It is, but given the festival know that, they aren't in an immediate point to need to have him. 

At 49, they could easily wait 10 years to have him play.

True.....but only if they have a decent pool of other options, which isn't a given if other stand out candidates (Cher, Barry Manilow, etc) have turned them down.

e.g. most would assume that Duran Duran see themselves as outright headliners and so may not be willing to entertain the Teatime slot.

Edited by CaledonianGonzo

4 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

True.....but only if they have a decent pool of other options, which isn't a given if other stand out candidates (Cher, Barry Manilow, etc) have turned them down.

e.g. most would assume that Duran Duran see themselves as outright headliners and so may not be willing to entertain the Teatime slot.

If you listen to their interview on it I’d suggest differently (DD). I expect them as the legend next year 

56 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

My suggestion of Robbie comes as they might need to start looking to the ‘90s a bit more as time catches up with others.

There is a slew of 80s acts who haven't been legends yet. Duran Duran and Simple Minds already mentioned, perhaps Tony Hadley, Jimmy Somerville, Marc Almond, Erasure, Squeeze, Frankie Goes To Hollywood, Eurythmics, Madness, The Specials, OMD, Human League, 

I mean, I'm a 90s teen so all for it, but please don't nostalgia me too soon!

3 minutes ago, ICGenie said:

There is a slew of 80s acts who haven't been legends yet. Duran Duran and Simple Minds already mentioned, perhaps Tony Hadley, Jimmy Somerville, Marc Almond, Erasure, Squeeze, Frankie Goes To Hollywood, Eurythmics, Madness, The Specials, OMD, Human League, 

Honestly most of these either don't have sufficiently deep benches of hits (Frankie, Jimmy Somerville, Tony Hadley), play regularly anyway (Madness, Squeeze, The Specials), or people don't even like them that much (Simple Minds). 

Eurythmics I'll concede, even though I'd bracket them with Simple Minds.

All of them could chip up a la Rick Astley but I dunno about the Sunday afternoon....

That said after being broadcast on BBC1 and getting the flashmob Rick was doing some of the heavy lifting on the Legend Slot this year.

27 minutes ago, ICGenie said:

perhaps Tony Hadley, Jimmy Somerville, Marc Almond, Erasure, Squeeze, Frankie Goes To Hollywood, Eurythmics, Madness, The Specials, OMD, Human League, 

I mean, I'm a 90s teen so all for it, but please don't nostalgia me too soon!

Tony Hadley 🤢  Eurythmics or Erasure the only two of those who would a) exist (or can at least stand to be in the same room for more than five minutes), b) would draw a big crowd and c) haven’t already played the festival recently 

A-ha on the other hand … 

Edited by Rose-Colored Boy