Self confirms 2024

Chrisp1986

15 minutes ago, SilverLining said:

Crazily impressive numbers, especially as they are from my hometown and seems to me like they are constantly playing there.

Anyone else seen an act a massive amount of times? I have caught Chase and Status about 30 times, not because im a big fan just because they are everywhere (especially last decade ) and I just always go along.

Chase and Status 30 times and not a big fan? You need to get better at avoiding them. 

9 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

Ther are a few acts I've seen 10 to 20 times, but that's because I'm old and so are they. 250 time for one act is insane, surely you'd rather spread that out a bit and see someone else?

These (250) are numbers you're more likely to see from Americans than over here. For some reason our bands seem to be more rigid and always play exactly the same set every night. A lot of US acts either don't work with a setlist or make sure to change a good portion of the show from one night to the next. Get a band that tours often and live in the right place, you could have 10-15 dates that are easily driveable within a couple of hours each year. 

Edited by Dark Star

18 minutes ago, SilverLining said:

Crazily impressive numbers, especially as they are from my hometown and seems to me like they are constantly playing there.

Anyone else seen an act a massive amount of times? I have caught Chase and Status about 30 times, not because im a big fan just because they are everywhere (especially last decade ) and I just always go along.

Yes it was over 100 by the time I stopped working with him in 2018. It could be way more now!

10 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

Ther are a few acts I've seen 10 to 20 times, but that's because I'm old and so are they. 250 time for one act is insane, surely you'd rather spread that out a bit and see someone else?

Yep it's not for me. Like you there's a few acts that I have seen a good few times because they tour frequently enough and I make an effort to go and see them most times if the dates work but to get those numbers you must be doing travelling and staying in hotels etc as well and I'd rather spend the money on see more acts personally.

24 minutes ago, danbailey80 said:

James interview:

"...a Somerset field this summer...?

"What does that mean? Hiking and camping? Yes is the answer..."

He also talks about the choir and orchestra being 100+ people so I can't see it being the orchestra version. 

Unless it’s Sunday morning Oyramid like the ENO

9 minutes ago, Dark Star said:

These (250) are numbers you're more likely to see from Americans than over here. For some reason our bands seem to be more rigid and always play exactly the same set every night. A lot of US acts either don't work with a setlist or make sure to change a good portion of the show from one night to the next. Get a band that tours often and live in the right place, you could have 10-15 dates that are easily driveable within a couple of hours each year. 

Some of the people I am aware of who have seen the band this many times are now pretty much on a permanent guest list, but I still don't know how people manage time off work, hotels and the general expense.

Having said that, I've a mate who never misses a Barnsley home game and goes to the majority of the away games each season, he's just turned 50 and has been banging away at this since he was a kid. Lives in Harrogate so not even that local to Barnsley 😄

Edited by sfroml

42 minutes ago, SilverLining said:

This reminds me of a friend who worked out the band he'd seen most were Bring Me the Horizon despite never going to any of their gigs - they just always seemed to be lower down the line-up at every gig and festival.

I've only seen James 4 times but they've always been somewhere between good and excellent. I've mentioned it before but the orchestra gig I saw last year was absolutely sublime, best thing I saw in 2023.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Gnomicide said:

I've only seen James 4 times but they've always been somewhere between good and excellent. I've mentioned it before but the orchestra gig I saw last year was absolutely sublime, best thing I saw in 2023.

Their 1998 Glastonbury set is on YouTube is quite good.

12 minutes ago, sfroml said:

**Hot off the Press Update**

Just checked and it's a staggering 330ish amount of times seeing James live.......

That's blown my mind.  I sort of inherently know there are people that follow acts around and will follow them on a tour but I hadn't quite appreciated the numbers they clock up.

I guess with a band like James that have been going over 40 years, haven't ever split up, regularly release music and tour it is clearly possible. 

6 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

Their 1998 Glastonbury set is on YouTube is quite good.

I was there. It was pissing it down and they cut their set short so they could show the footy. Being a big James fan and not a football fan I was most upset by that. They were great but Primal Scream after them were dogshit.

Edited by Johnnyseven

only ever seen James at festivals and always enjoyed them.

most i've ever seen a band live is New Model Army and Levellers... both in the hundreds but lost actual count a long time ago.

i don't actually see them any more tho - my days of life on the road are way behind me and i have such great memories of those days i just prefer to draw a line under it and leave it at that.

i will still see both bands tho if they happen to be playing somewhere i happen to be.

Just now, Johnnyseven said:

I was there. It was pissing it down and they cut there set short so they could show the footy. Being a big James fan and not a football fan I was most upset by that. They were great but Primal Scream after them were dogshit.

i was there too - i have photos of me down the front of the stage wearing my improvised waterproofs made of bin bags.

happy days.

4 minutes ago, Johnnyseven said:

I was there. It was pissing it down and they cut their set short so they could show the footy. Being a big James fan and not a football fan I was most upset by that. They were great but Primal Scream after them were dogshit.

I thought they went on after the England game? Weren't Foo Fighters on whilst the game was taking place?

17 minutes ago, glimmers_of_hope said:

That's blown my mind.  I sort of inherently know there are people that follow acts around and will follow them on a tour but I hadn't quite appreciated the numbers they clock up.

I guess with a band like James that have been going over 40 years, haven't ever split up, regularly release music and tour it is clearly possible. 

Even then it's 8-9 times per year for 40 years. 

And they won't have been touring every year obviously. 

330 times for one band is nuts, it's crazy, and I'm fully here for the dedication. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, nikkic said:

Even then it's 8-9 times per year for 40 years. 

And they won't have been touring every year obviously. 

330 times for one band is nuts, it's crazy, and I'm fully here for the dedication. 

I might actually be able to trump this regarding another band....  just waiting to hear back from the person in question 😄

1 hour ago, Gnomicide said:

There are a few acts I've seen 10 to 20 times, but that's because I'm old and so are they. 250 time for one act is insane, surely you'd rather spread that out a bit and see someone else?

Sums up my feelings really.  The one act I've seen most is Frank Turner.  Including solo acoustic stuff and full band I think I've seen him 14-15 times.  Silver medal goes to Therapy?, who I've seen 10 times over the last 30 years and will be seeing again in November.

3 hours ago, sfroml said:

I've seen James circa 60 times and for me there's been only a few gigs where they were 'alright', and by that the gigs were still really good but not as good as some of their very best gigs. An absolutely brilliant live band. Wasn't mad on their last album barring a few tracks but those songs did sound great live. And I've just listened to the latest song and I think it's great, (the snippet I'd heard earlier this week had left me a bit cold but hearing the whole song it fits into place nicely).

Tim's voice can be a bit hit or miss.