Entitlement - is it a post covid thing?

becs94

Sorry if anyone else has posted a similar topic but interested in hearing others experiences!

I've been going to Glastonbury for almost 15 years now and never had any issues until now. 

We decided to set up in paines Wednesday morn no (after our trolley gave out on the walk to oxylers hahaha 🙈) and initially had no issues. Then Thursday eve we returned to a group of 8 teenage scousers who'd essentially  set up their tent essentially on top of our porch in paines. The whole weekend their behaviour was awful! Came back to them essentially sitting inside our tent porch, washing their hair and getting the inside of our tent soaked, nicking our pegs, throwing nos cannisters/rubbish/dirty clothes into our tent. The outside of our tent was an absolute tip. Tried politely talking to them but essentially got told to f**k off "it's a festival what do you expect" and security weren't much help.

Really should have moved looking back but just worried about finding more space and wasting a load of time after speaking to the stewards who recommended that we stay where we were.

Put a massive damper on the weekend for me and my girlfriend and made us both really anxious every time we went back to the tent as the whole atmosphere was just aggressive.

Packed up today and noticed someone has vommed on the side of our tent too which is just the icing on the cake. 

Were we just unlucky or has the general atmosphere changed? Missed out on tickets last year so this is my first year post covid and noticed a lot more entitlement and aggression in general amongst the crowd too.

Had a great weekend despite but has honestly made me a little hesitant to even try for tickets for next year. 

Sorry to hear. Had this at a festival (sonosphere) and there's almost sod all you can do except move. There's no reasoning with over excited teenage lads. Our average is about 1 in 15 too.

(After we moved, some crusty old bikers took our place - they didn't reason with the lads - the lads grew up fast)

My take is that you've got an increasing amount of people there mainly for the late night areas who aren't really interested in the day beyond a time to get f**ked up before going out and act in really inconsiderate ways around the campsites and during daytime acts. The amount of people slamming coke and ket in the daytime now strikes me as a lot more than it used to be. 

I don't want to sound like an old stick in the mud, I also like the South East Corner and I like a bump from the baggy late on to keep dancing, but that's not the approach a lot of the younger crowd take. You've got lads out in the sun all day on the lager and the coke, thinking that the standards of general politeness don't exist because they're at a festival. 

• Upvote 7

3 minutes ago, collectivisedfarming said:

My take is that you've got an increasing amount of people there mainly for the late night areas who aren't really interested in the day beyond a time to get f**ked up before going out and act in really inconsiderate ways around the campsites and during daytime acts. The amount of people slamming coke and ket in the daytime now strikes me as a lot more than it used to be. 

I don't want to sound like an old stick in the mud, I also like the South East Corner and I like a bump from the baggy late on to keep dancing, but that's not the approach a lot of the younger crowd take. You've got lads out in the sun all day on the lager and the coke, thinking that the standards of general politeness don't exist because they're at a festival. 

Yeah agree with this completely. Think the lot at our camp site must have been parked there sniffing bags all day long until heading to the SE corner.

Noticed ton more drugs at the stages this time like you said and that's from someone who's happy to partake now and then after the headliners too. Just felt a bit agro at times! 

People being dicks at festivals is no new thing, just look at why Leeds had to move from its original site to the current one.

But, what I will say is that COVID has definitely had an impact on the social skills of a lot of younger people. Those who spent a couple of years at school/college/university in lockdown. Key developmental years social-wise.

I think now you have the extra day, so can get their on Tuesday, makes it more of a lads holiday for some than a music festival . So some are there just to get obliterated for 5 days with their mates, not helped by not having a lot else to do on Wednesday and Thursday, other than to get smashed. The music is becoming more incidental than it ever used to for a small but not insignificant proportion of the crowd

Agreed on the SE corner becoming the big attraction.

I also think back to the Euro's final at Wembley, first sign for me post Covid that people thought they could do whatever the f**k they wanted, and were entitled to get in regardless.

Never underestimate the amount of dick heads there are in the world. When you spend time in a nice (online) community like this it's easy to forget. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, VCK said:

People being dicks at festivals is no new thing, just look at why Leeds had to move from its original site to the current one.

But, what I will say is that COVID has definitely had an impact on the social skills of a lot of younger people. Those who spent a couple of years at school/college/university in lockdown. Key developmental years social-wise.

Feels like there’s an undercurrent of resentment that young people lost two years of their lives to protect older people, with nothing to show for it except the same old sh*tty “woke young people are ruining this country” headlines and an economy which is even more f**ked than it was before. Which is perfectly reasonable tbh. 

• Upvote 1

Boo hoo. This what happens when the middle classes go to Glastonbury, expecting it all to be flower garlands and polite people of their same ilk but end of camped beside a group of working class hardened festival goers. Basically they sh*t themselves for no reason 🤣

Edited by Gulping Gull
  • Downvote 11

2 minutes ago, Gulping Gull said:

Boo hoo. This what happens when the middle classes go ot Glastonbury, expecting it all to be flower garlands and polite people of their same ilk but end of camped beside a group of worming class hardened featival goers. Basically they sh*t themselves for no reason 🤣

I assume you mean working class, but me and all my mates are working class and managed not to be c**ts like you, so maybe don't generalise everyone or use their background as justification for sh*t behaviour

No one is scared of you btw, they aren't "shitting" themselves at your knobbish behaviour, they just wish you'd f**k off and stop being annoying 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 13

19 minutes ago, dingbat2 said:

I think now you have the extra day, so can get their on Tuesday, makes it more of a lads holiday for some than a music festival . So some are there just to get obliterated for 5 days with their mates, not helped by not having a lot else to do on Wednesday and Thursday, other than to get smashed. The music is becoming more incidental than it ever used to for a small but not insignificant proportion of the crowd

Yeah I think this is a massive part. Especially with the run of great weather the festival has had since 2016, it’s essentially a lads holiday for a fraction of the cost. Add in the little/no drug restrictions you’re asking for groups of idiots. 

Suppose that's what I wanted to figure out if it's me getting older or the crowd actually changing! 

But then I'm working class and have been going to Glastonbury since I was 15 and can't say me or my friends ever felt the need to throw my dirty pants in someone's tent or nick their tent pegs for a laugh ... 

10 minutes ago, Gulping Gull said:

Boo hoo. This what happens when the middle classes go to Glastonbury, expecting it all to be flower garlands and polite people of their same ilk but end of camped beside a group of working class hardened festival goers. Basically they sh*t themselves for no reason 🤣

Did you even read OP's post before barging in with this absolute shite? The kids that parked up next to them clearly were not "hardened festival goers" – the whole ethos of Glastonbury is about not being a dickhead, respecting others' property, respecting the farm and looking out for each other.

It's tragic that OP felt so intimidated that they couldn't reason with them, nobody should feel like that at any music festival, particularly when you're paying a considerable amount of money to go to it. It's got absolutely nothing to do with class division, just basic morals and manners.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, BBC7BBCHEAVEN said:

I assume you mean working class, but me and all my mates are working class and managed not to be c**ts like you, so maybe don't generalise everyone or use their background as justification for sh*t behaviour

No one is scared of you btw, they aren't "shitting" themselves at your knobbish behaviour, they just wish you'd f**k off and stop being annoying 

Watch you language and stop replying to me calling me profanities. It doesn't make you cool, just makes you look silly. 

• Downvote 2

17 minutes ago, Gulping Gull said:

Boo hoo. This what happens when the middle classes go ot Glastonbury, expecting it all to be flower garlands and polite people of their same ilk but end of camped beside a group of worming class hardened featival goers. Basically they sh*t themselves for no reason 🤣

Oooooh, arn't you hard

2 minutes ago, jannybruck said:

Did you even read OP's post before barging in with this absolute shite? The kids that parked up next to them clearly were not "hardened festival goers" – the whole ethos of Glastonbury is about not being a dickhead, respecting others' property, respecting the farm and looking out for each other.

It's tragic that OP felt so intimidated that they couldn't reason with them, nobody should feel like that at any music festival, particularly when you're paying a considerable amount of money to go to it. It's got absolutely nothing to do with class division, just basic morals and manners.

They are clearly more festival hardened than the OP. "Oh no, look at these scary teenage scousers! How terrible! One was even sick on my tent" 😆

Perhaps somewhere more pleasant and soft like Latitude might be the best option for them next year. 

• Downvote 1

1 minute ago, Gulping Gull said:

They are clearly more festival hardened than the OP. "Oh no, look at these scary teenage scousers! How terrible! One was even sick on my tent" 😆

Perhaps somewhere more pleasant and soft like Latitude might be the best option for them next year. 

You're in the wrong place, mate.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Gulping Gull said:

Watch you language and stop replying to me calling me profanities. It doesn't make you cool, just makes you look silly. 

Boo hoo. This is what happens when dull trolls try their hardest to wind people up on the internet. Basically they cry when they don’t get to be a c**t without being called on it 🤣

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, becs94 said:

Suppose that's what I wanted to figure out if it's me getting older or the crowd actually changing! 

But then I'm working class and have been going to Glastonbury since I was 15 and can't say me or my friends ever felt the need to throw my dirty pants in someone's tent or nick their tent pegs for a laugh ... 

Probably just a bit unlucky with your campsite but sounds annoying. 

The 45 year old me would probably find camping next to the 19 year old me a bit annoying so maybe a bit of an age thing but sounds like they were very inconsiderate to say the least! 

As I get older I tend to seek out the campsites on the outskirts which are nice and quiet. Also spend more time in the Theatre and Circus, Green Fields, Woodsies etc away from the really hectic bits as can't handle big crowds that well any more. 

So I didn't really see any bad behaviour or drug usage and most people were really nice and pleasant so I was lucky from that point of view.