The Weather Thread 2024

airwaves

1 hour ago, philipsteak said:

In the 10 or so years I've lived here I've only seen it as bad as this a couple of times. The higher land and passes get hammered regularly obviously but Ambleside usually misses the worst of it. Seems like even the north Lakes barely got anything. The contrast between yesterday and today is mad. Spent all day on the fells yesterday in stunning clear blue skies.

Yeh, we've had clear blue skies all week pretty much, culminated in -5c temps last night... However tonight was overcast, so it is milder, and it's just started raining, so looks like we've escaped the white stuff. 

Never mind, it's snowing now, pretty heavily!

Edited by Alvoram

1 hour ago, philipsteak said:

In the 10 or so years I've lived here I've only seen it as bad as this a couple of times. The higher land and passes get hammered regularly obviously but Ambleside usually misses the worst of it. Seems like even the north Lakes barely got anything. The contrast between yesterday and today is mad. Spent all day on the fells yesterday in stunning clear blue skies.

Update:

This does seem like a decent snow storm. 

this was 12:52 when the gritter came past (I must remember to change the clocks on the CCTV!)

IMG_2229.thumb.jpeg.6ff9ca5490acafc7d24f0b1cfbefa753.jpeg

IMG_2230.thumb.jpeg.4137dac14ad4e9a1ac842cd7fc290a53.jpeg

And this is just recently, only one hour later. 

IMG_2228.thumb.jpeg.979845183b5dca38ce72334233cdc053.jpeg

IMG_2227.thumb.jpeg.0191c26b9419c491f4e7fb4ce7664630.jpeg

This is set to continue up to 5am!!!

This was us about 1.30pm yesterday. It then pretty much didn't stop and was still snowing when I finished work at 11.30pm. It does seem to have stopped now. 

That was one of my worst shifts for a while. Head was spinning for some time afterwards. 

I know that church halls and community centres were opened up for people to shelter. I did also hear there may have been a death somewhere but I've not seen anything reported so don't know

IMG20231202133749.jpg

2 hours ago, philipsteak said:

This was us about 1.30pm yesterday. It then pretty much didn't stop and was still snowing when I finished work at 11.30pm. It does seem to have stopped now. 

That was one of my worst shifts for a while. Head was spinning for some time afterwards. 

I know that church halls and community centres were opened up for people to shelter. I did also hear there may have been a death somewhere but I've not seen anything reported so don't know

IMG20231202133749.jpg

Hope the rumour was just that, a rumour.

Sure is a stunning scene though. 

Not ventured out yet, but looking out of a very misty window at the shed roof and the top of the wall, looks like we got a good few inches in the end. 

IMG_2231.jpg.8bafbdb4f2e053d276ed3f26f38bee66.jpg

52 minutes ago, Alvoram said:

Hope the rumour was just that, a rumour.

Sure is a stunning scene though. 

Not ventured out yet, but looking out of a very misty window at the shed roof and the top of the wall, looks like we got a good few inches in the end. 

IMG_2231.jpg.8bafbdb4f2e053d276ed3f26f38bee66.jpg

Must be, still not seen anything official.

• 5 weeks later...

Well... First of all, this is not exactly a positive article. 😕

However, in terms of Glasto, it could be seen in two ways, a record hot year predicted... 🤩

But also, weather being affected by an El Nino event, just like it was in the run up to 2016... 😬

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/about-us/press-office/news/weather-and-climate/2023/2024-first-chance-of-year-above-1.5-c-say-climate-scientists#:~:text=The average global temperature for,C above pre-industrial levels.

What has the weather been doing the last 2 months in Pilton? It’s been pouring down up here in the NW and water table levels are very high.

Plenty of time for land to dry and but I seem to remember that in 2016 high water table was one of the factors for the mud.

1 hour ago, Crazyfool01 said:

can speak for Pilton but its not stopped raining here in Taunton . we need some warm weather soon , still time though its barely Jan 

I dunno about warm weather, whilst it's been very wet, the temperatures have also been comparatively mild for Winter

1 minute ago, clarkete said:

I dunno about warm weather, whilst it's been very wet, the temperatures have also been comparatively mild for Winter

Ridiculously warm.

It's really not good for plants, birds, animals and diseases not getting killed off. Yet another consequence of rapidly increasing climate change.

1 hour ago, Crazyfool01 said:

can speak for Pilton but its not stopped raining here in Taunton . we need some warm weather soon , still time though its barely Jan 

tbf, I feel as though we were saying this right up until the last week in April last year, so still plenty of time 

1 minute ago, dotdash79 said:

This was the last day of March last year. 

IMG_4453.thumb.jpeg.9867579cb81eb9a33ce538360f10e2ed.jpeg

you couldn’t stand in a field without your foot being submerged in water. 3 weeks later it was dry enough for trainers. 

This is exactly the sort of post I wanted to see! I guess it was wetter there than near me.