The Weather Thread 2024

airwaves

On 1/24/2024 at 9:03 AM, CaledonianGonzo said:

Last summer was a washout. Glastonbury was one of the few festivals that emerged unscathed.

June 2023 was actually the hottest June ever recorded for the U.K. as a whole.  It was July and August that went on to be terrible, and spoil the summer.  We got lucky.  September was then the warmest ever recorded for England and Wales.

IMG_4250.thumb.jpeg.651039c457a8419fed51b22955db6325.jpegIMG_4249.thumb.jpeg.bcd9ffd0cbb145a920f133ddfdfbc112.jpeg

…and this came after an exceptionally wet March where most of southern England had more than twice the usual rainfall. 

IMG_4248.thumb.jpeg.14542e7735f61c1af75d2292456cb622.jpeg

Lots of rain early in the year is no indicator of what we’ll end up with at the end of June and with a warm spring and summer forecast this year, we could get lucky again….. 🤞

• Upvote 1

On 2/13/2024 at 8:53 AM, Sheffield Steve said:

June 2023 was actually the hottest June ever recorded for the U.K. as a whole.  It was July and August that went on to be terrible, and spoil the summer.  We got lucky.  September was then the warmest ever recorded for England and Wales.

IMG_4250.thumb.jpeg.651039c457a8419fed51b22955db6325.jpegIMG_4249.thumb.jpeg.bcd9ffd0cbb145a920f133ddfdfbc112.jpeg

…and this came after an exceptionally wet March where most of southern England had more than twice the usual rainfall. 

IMG_4248.thumb.jpeg.14542e7735f61c1af75d2292456cb622.jpeg

Lots of rain early in the year is no indicator of what we’ll end up with at the end of June and with a warm spring and summer forecast this year, we could get lucky again….. 🤞

Yeah, I remember we were really lucky with the Glasto weekend. It went to sh*t after that.

21 hours ago, -TLR- said:

unfortunately its all but guaranteed to be a mud bath this year - I moaned so much about the heat over the past two festivals that the Festival God is sure to be pretty pissed off with me and want to teach me a lesson...

21 hours ago, westholtschic said:

We are flooded in Wookey and all the roads around the area are closed and flooded too at the moment. 

i really don't know much about these things. but if we get better weather in the coming months that stuff just dries out right?!

8 minutes ago, westholtschic said:

Yes it does but the amount we have had here it will need to be hot and dry for a while.🤞

Couple of weeks of sun will do it , the drainage onsite is massively improved which will take away most of the standing water . We are still 5 months away . I’ll not start mildly panicking for another few months yet 

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, -TLR- said:

unfortunately its all but guaranteed to be a mud bath this year - I moaned so much about the heat over the past two festivals that the Festival God is sure to be pretty pissed off with me and want to teach me a lesson...

Go and have a word with yourself! Surely you have been to enough even damp festivals, let alone wet ones to know that the Spice (Dust) Rules!

Don't be fooled by these scaremongers who secretly pray for rain as protection from the Spice. 

2010 All Over again ........ Woohooo

1 hour ago, Crazyfool01 said:

Couple of weeks of sun will do it , the drainage onsite is massively improved which will take away most of the standing water . We are still 5 months away . I’ll not start mildly panicking for another few months yet 

Yep, it won’t take much to dry it all up, as it did last year.  The 3 months to May 2023 were very wet - this shows the rainfall in the 3 months up to and including May 2023, “Notably” to “Exceptionally” wet in the Pilton area:

IMG_4252.thumb.jpeg.8da37fc48bb1b0ab4d6c97396c5c7742.jpegIMG_4253.thumb.jpeg.1267edc98b6efa2b3768c727d57efe81.jpeg

But it only took a couple of warm and dry weeks in June to dry it all out.   Glastonbury 2024 will be glorious!

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Sheffield Steve said:

Yep, it won’t take much to dry it all up, as it did last year.  The 3 months to May 2023 were very wet - this shows the rainfall in the 3 months up to and including May 2023, “Notably” to “Exceptionally” wet in the Pilton area:

IMG_4252.thumb.jpeg.8da37fc48bb1b0ab4d6c97396c5c7742.jpegIMG_4253.thumb.jpeg.1267edc98b6efa2b3768c727d57efe81.jpeg

But it only took a couple of warm and dry weeks in June to dry it all out.   Glastonbury 2024 will be glorious!

thank you. needed this today

It will be fine come the festival but my goodness me is it grim here in Glastonbury today! Luckily I'm ill and the dog has just had an operation so we can hunker down for most of the day

Could do with a dry week really, any unpaved ground is a bog at this point 

• Upvote 1

On 2/21/2024 at 9:10 AM, EavisAintDead said:

It will be fine come the festival but my goodness me is it grim here in Glastonbury today! Luckily I'm ill and the dog has just had an operation so we can hunker down for most of the day

Could do with a dry week really, any unpaved ground is a bog at this point 

Yes, plenty of time yet. A nice warm April and May, sunshine and a drying wind. The ground would soon drain and dry. 
hope the dog is ok!