The Weather Thread 2024

airwaves

The European Centre for Medium-range Weather Forecasting have just updated their prediction for April/May/June.  The general theme continues, with all the models around the world going for a warmer than average spring and summer with around average rainfall.  Obviously no specifics for Glastonbury week can be determined from this, but as each week goes by, that little glimmer of hope in the distance gets brighter and brighter…

April/May/June temperatures compared to average, showing all of Western Europe having a warm or very warm few months:

1355489101_ECMMarchAMJ.thumb.png.1cb4096d52e255d0073b9aa22726ee66.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 2

I’m not that worried about the weather during the festival if it’s dry in the lead up. As this year seems far wetter now than the previous couple of years, I’m expecting ground water levels to be way higher than the last two festivals. 

Has it been just as wet in the South West as it has been up north?

Spring is notoriously damp as well so we’re going to need a mini heatwave/drought before June hits. 

If it doesn’t rain for the festival it’s going to be a moot point but I’ll be happier heading down there knowing that any rain isn’t going to turn the ground into the Somme. 

10 hours ago, Bike_Like_A_Mum said:

Miserable in the east as well...hard to imagine camping in just a couple of months. Gotta stop at some point though so the more it rains the more i'm thinking it's gotta be a nice warm June 🤞🏼

And a lovely warm sunny May for the build (and for our camping holiday to Glastonbury that month)

The soil moisture conditions have been updated for the end of February.  The soil is now much wetter than a month ago, which you’d expect after the wettest February on record.   But as we keep saying, spring last year was very wet and the ground was fine by the end of June.  No need to panic just yet. 

January:

IMG_4237.thumb.jpeg.50605c88bed684446a8bd8eed4e11903.jpeg

February:

IMG_4271.thumb.jpeg.8d8e2ced6e20b69ba457e60b8a809935.jpeg

…and in other news, the French have excelled themselves in their latest forecast for June.  They’re going for not just a warm, but a hot June across most of Western Europe.   No need to worry about the state of the ground if this comes off.  Sacré bleu!

June:

IMG_4264.thumb.png.7eb8b637438be6f6b9a7b19760e0e240.png

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sheffield Steve said:

…and in other news, the French have excelled themselves in their latest forecast for June.  They’re going for not just a warm, but a hot June across most of Western Europe.   No need to worry about the state of the ground if this comes off.  Sacré bleu!

June:

IMG_4264.thumb.png.7eb8b637438be6f6b9a7b19760e0e240.png

2010 All over again. Woohoo 

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, clarkete said:

I'm 35-40 miles north of the festival and it's certainly been quite a bit of rain this week.  

We must be due a really warm spell later to compensate 😉 

I really really hope so 🌞🌞

Some record-breaking heat in Europe this weekend with temperatures up to 30c in Serbia and Bulgaria. Sign of things to come for us maybe?  Agencies around the world continue to forecast a warm or very warm spring and early summer for Europe.  It’s coming guys….

IMG_4297.thumb.jpeg.be431a9afc726668a2e1e5eac94c4527.jpeg

55 minutes ago, Sheffield Steve said:

Some record-breaking heat in Europe this weekend with temperatures up to 30c in Serbia and Bulgaria. Sign of things to come for us maybe?  Agencies around the world continue to forecast a warm or very warm spring and early summer for Europe.  It’s coming guys….

IMG_4297.thumb.jpeg.be431a9afc726668a2e1e5eac94c4527.jpeg

Hard to believe...absolute state of it this weekend 😞

I'll try and keep the faith

22 minutes ago, kemosabe said:

Am I correct in thinking it's pissed it down every year Coldplay have played? 

Don’t remember it raining in 2002  but it was freezing cold though!! 

16 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Can't believe this thread is only sitting on a total of 12 pages. Come early June this thread will be the hottest thing north of the equator. 

everyone patiently waiting for the rain to f**k off 

• Upvote 1