Lana Del Rey Curfew

Tom_12

Just now, Colorblindjames said:

Me either but to say LDR isn't big enough when Kasabian and Muse have done it is strange. LDRs streams alone tell us she's big enough. 

That's not the only route to being a Pyramid headliner. Or maybe not even a route at all. They both did the spadework over a number of years by proving themselves reliable / dependable professional entertainers. And no doubt with good relationships with the Eavii

I agree that that's a bit reductive and not especially glamorous or rocknroll. But it's a fact of life when booking one of the biggest stages on the planet.

2 hours ago, One Tonne Baby said:

I don’t get it either. She turned up on stage late cos her hairstylist was late and her hair was part of the show so she couldn’t do it? Ridiculous.

if it’s that integral, make sure they are on time and if they aren’t you adapt and wing it because you are a professional and owe your fans a full show. 

if her hair wasn’t done not one person would be saying ‘Lana was great, but that song where she didn’t have big hair really let it down’ get over yourself and get on with it

Yeah I thought this too. Obviously we don't know why they were delayed, but if Lana was there on time perhaps the stylist should have arrived with her 

22 minutes ago, Colorblindjames said:

Me either but to say LDR isn't big enough when Kasabian and Muse have done it is strange. LDRs streams alone tell us she's big enough. 

Are streams alone enough? By 2014 Kasabian had shown themselves to be an (personal taste aside) effective, reliable festival headliner. Almost a safe bet. Might seem a boring thing but it must be a consideration. I’d personally rather she had headlined than the Arctics but it didn’t seem hugely out of place to me that she was Other headliner this year and Pyramid sub in 2020. Hopefully she gets another crack and does it properly then.

14 minutes ago, Colorblindjames said:

Yes Glastonbury didn't show the flexibility they have shown in the past to male artists.

This really can't just be reduced to a male/female thing though.

The Macca/Bruce overruns happened many many years ago. I think Emily would be much more reluctant to allow an act to overrun nowadays, although obviously there's no way for me to prove that.

More importantly, both of those overruns happened on the Pyramid stage. As we've learned on this thread, the Other stage must finish before the Pyramid to avoid dangerous crowd issues. An overrun on the Other is a safety risk, but an overrun on the Pyramid is not.

If her and her entourage's attitudes were as bad as described in the account of the situation posted earlier in this thread I'm sure it didn't help (and it wouldn't help any prospects of a headline slot in future either), but even if that was a load of bollocks and they were nice as pie I don't think any overrun would have been allowed because of the crowd safety aspect.

5 minutes ago, Cheesey said:

The Macca/Bruce overruns happened many many years ago. I think Emily would be much more reluctant to allow an act to overrun nowadays, although obviously there's no way for me to prove that.

More importantly, both of those overruns happened on the Pyramid stage. As we've learned on this thread, the Other stage must finish before the Pyramid to avoid dangerous crowd issues. An overrun on the Other is a safety risk, but an overrun on the Pyramid is not.

If her and her entourage's attitudes were as bad as described in the account of the situation posted earlier in this thread I'm sure it didn't help (and it wouldn't help any prospects of a headline slot in future either), but even if that was a load of bollocks and they were nice as pie I don't think any overrun would have been allowed because of the crowd safety aspect.

All this is very true, plus the fact in Macca, we’re talking about probably the most important and recognised musician that has ever graced the planet. With that comes additional privileges that anybody else (including LDR) just aren’t going to get. 
Surely this is obvious, and I find it quite staggering that the ‘sexism’ card is being played here at all. 

Edited by st dan

Irrelevant of how many streams or sales an artist has had, if they show the amount of contempt and unprofessionalism to their fans and the festival as LDR showed this weekend, it is a non starter to debate whether she is suitable to headline the Pyramid. Unfortunately for her, there were another 3,000+ acts at Glastonbury as opposed to it being the LDR show. Her behaviour and attitude only goes to show they got it spot on putting her where they did.

Is Lana Del Ray 'big' enough to headline the Pyramid = Sure probably, similar to how Lizzo theoretically could have headlined.

Following her behaviour this weekend will she now ever headline - Almost certainly no.

Thankfully there is a nice relatively big pool of female acts who the festival can potentially look at trying to call on as Pyramid stage headliners across the next 5-10 years

5 minutes ago, JonSnow said:

Is Lana Del Ray 'big' enough to headline the Pyramid = Sure probably, similar to how Lizzo theoretically could have headlined.

Following her behaviour this weekend will she now ever headline - Almost certainly no.

Thankfully there is a nice relatively big pool of female acts who the festival can potentially look at trying to call on as Pyramid stage headliners across the next 5-10 years

I’d be surprised if Lizzo wasn’t a headliner next time. Huge crowd and great fun.

48 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Seem to remember Bjork breaking the curfew in 2007. But shes wasn't late on.

Im still to understand how Macca went so far past the curfew though.

They turned half the PA off at the end, just one stack working, thought it was a technical problem at the time but they must have done it to reduce the volume, and before Colorblindjames jumps in and sees this as proof female artists get worse treatment I've also seen Primal Scream have the power switched off and kicked off stage for over running on the pyramid.

1 hour ago, Colorblindjames said:

Yes Glastonbury didn't show the flexibility they have shown in the past to male artists. The rest is just speculation. 

Bit of a simplistic comparison that. Springsteen and McCartney were on the Pyramid and started on time. They’re also much bigger and more renowned artists than LDR. If a female Pyramid headliner of similar stature got pulled after starting on time that would be outrageous but until then we don’t know.

2 hours ago, Justcalledtosay said:

I've not read the thread in full but did anyone that was there not enjoy her set?

I'm a fan but not an obsessive idiot who thinks she can do no wrong and this is the first time I've seen her live.  To be honest I appreciate her music more at home when I'm in the mood for it.  Live and especially at a festival, just felt like a massive come down and piss boring (and that was without the ending bollox).

1 hour ago, gizmoman said:

They turned half the PA off at the end, just one stack working, thought it was a technical problem at the time but they must have done it to reduce the volume, and before Colorblindjames jumps in and sees this as proof female artists get worse treatment I've also seen Primal Scream have the power switched off and kicked off stage for over running on the pyramid.

Same with N.E.R.D.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2009/jun/26/nerd-glastonbury-2009

Tbh it was a bit funny when he was trying to get the crowd to cheer for them to play on.  Most were simply bemused as they had arrived late - therefore we knew what would happen. 

Its quite fascinating as an outsider. Creating this diva character of Lana Del Rey gives her (Elizabeth Grant) a degree of separation from the nonsense behavior i suppose, distances her from the 'im not going on until my stylist gets here, everything must be perfect and to hell with the crowd, they will wait for me' attitude.

Is this an elaborate art installation? The music isnt for me, and its so disparate, quiet and strange i can only really envisage enjoying it on headphones etc - i cant see how it can be appreciated on a huge outdoor stage. I think Woodsies - or the Astrolabe, or the circus tent - would actually make a lot more sense. She's f**ked the dog for future festivals by behaving like that, but it does add to the mystique so its a self-perpetuating bubble of gilded nonsense. Glad i didnt watch any of it, never was going to, wouldnt unless it was on a much smaller and more appreciable scale, but glad its there for people to enjoy and it does make for some fascinating observation. 

34 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

By all accounts what of the show that was actually delivered was exceptional, and to a packed field who were loving it.

I thought it was fantastic. 

Gutted we didn't see the end but it is what it is  

I also dont think Lana Del Rey gives two sh*ts if people dont like her...  I can respect that 

4 hours ago, Cheesey said:

People are just making stuff up on this thread. 

The other stage doesn't have to finish before the Pyramid. Elton finished 23-05 on Sunday. QOTSA finished at 23-15. Like even a quick check tells us this is just nonsense. 

Also regarding over runs. Ashley and the Blossoms started 20mins late and they got to play their full set knocking everything back on that stage by 20mins. 

• Downvote 1

3 hours ago, MEGABOWL said:

Bit of a simplistic comparison that. Springsteen and McCartney were on the Pyramid and started on time. They’re also much bigger and more renowned artists than LDR. If a female Pyramid headliner of similar stature got pulled after starting on time that would be outrageous but until then we don’t know.

Most U25s probably don't know who Paul McCartney is. The stature thing is again more idle speculation and irrelevant. Glastonbury, like any business, has a responsibility first and foremost to their customers. 

• Downvote 2