Ban the f**king flags

Welshinexile

27 minutes ago, stuie said:

H

Flags over a certain height only would be one of the most strangest rules ever made! 😂

When I was at school a pervy teacher had a measuring stick to check the Lenghs of girls skirts above the knee.  We just need a bigger version of that😉😊

3 hours ago, stuie said:

Just think of it like Brexit or Scottish Independance…. They tested the will of the people on an arbitrary date and the result will be binding forever more. 

Wasn't Brexit the third vote thus far after 1973 and 1975?

Also if two thirds of the population want a stronger relationship with the EU maybe that will happen in time?  (once we've peed on Bill Cash, John Redwood, farage and banks' graves - only joking 😉

Edited by clarkete

8 hours ago, clarkete said:

The earlier pages included some examples from right after the festival where due to the tv coverage there's an aspect now where it's not just individuals, but there are some folks using it for free advertising. Some gym as I recall, plus a particular radio station that gets half a dozen big ones to gather. 

Eesh I don't like that to be fair.

46 minutes ago, turkey twizzler said:

Eesh I don't like that to be fair.

Using flags for free advertising isn't a new thing.

For years there was a guy who was always near the front of the Pyramid with a huge vertical flag that said 'I Heart Sausage'.  It was a bit irritating but I never thought anything of it until I found out it was advertising his sausage company.

Edited by doogie

35 minutes ago, Kaboom Boxer said:

This is a fantastic idea. I was aware of the app but never thought to use it at festivals, it’s perfect!

W3W works brilliantly at festivals, even in big crowds like the pyramid. It’s not foolproof though - I somehow sent out our 2pm location when we were meeting the others for the headliner, so that didn’t work too well 😂

1 hour ago, doogie said:

Using flags for free advertising isn't a new thing.

For years there was a guy who was always near the front of the Pyramid with a huge vertical flag that said 'I Heart Sausage'.  It was a bit irritating but I never thought anything of it until I found out it was advertising his sausage company.

This was the advertising I was referring to.  At certain popular sets they cluster to be certain of telly coverage. 

Also from that thread was a photo I took on the Sunday.  That view and much of that day is what made me think "bloody hell there's a lot more flags than the past 40 years I've been" 

Many of us have some things that we'd prefer others not do at certain times so we can all rub along together happily, but yeah no reason to think they'll do owt about this. 

flag.jpeg.67389405ea16fb9f242dee8d28dbbcbf.jpeg

20230625_210351.jpg.bf12a8ccf3e03aa18672d9cbe275d854.jpg

On 2/24/2024 at 9:31 PM, Drinky said:

Plus unlike Radiohead 2017 he used the screens properly

Totally agree with this. Using the Pyramid screens as an extension of your art is just self indulgent. Most people can't see you on the stage (at least not well enough) so you really need to get off your high horse and use the screens in a way that will please the large majority of the crowd - not just the uber fans in the 'golden circle'

38 minutes ago, clarkete said:

As well as the one @Yoghurt on a Stick links to, which is widely used and advertised, there's an open source Google alternative https://support.google.com/maps/answer/7047426?hl=en&co=GENIE.Platform=Desktop

Thanks! I assume they don't work or work less well if you have poor or no signal? I was aware of these apps etc but am not a fan, but I suppose they'll be useful at festivals as long as they work well enough.

1 hour ago, ourkid1984 said:

Thanks! I assume they don't work or work less well if you have poor or no signal? I was aware of these apps etc but am not a fan, but I suppose they'll be useful at festivals as long as they work well enough.

Easier just to get a flag mate.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ourkid1984 said:

Easy enough to check your coverage beforehand or get a second sim that uses the network with the best coverage (Vodafone - so Asda, lebara, talk mobile, voxi I believe).  It can be useful for finding your tent, car, campervan, whatever 😊

3 hours ago, ourkid1984 said:

Don't know about the Google 1 but what3words uses GPS and doesn't need a data signal (it won't load the background map if you're offline, but you don't really need that at glasto). You just need to wait 30 secs to 1 min after opening it so it can get a more accurate location for you.

1 hour ago, nikkic said:

I tried this last year and it didn’t work. 

I was about to say this. The app loaded fine but it had a hard time pinpointing me and was giving me a different W3W every few seconds. And not even slightly close to the previous one, it had my location shooting around all over the place.

1 hour ago, nikkic said:

I tried this last year and it didn’t work. 

What happened? It doesn’t even need 3G or 4G apart from when sharing/receiving a location to find. 

3 hours ago, clarkete said:

Easy enough to check your coverage beforehand or get a second sim that uses the network with the best coverage (Vodafone - so Asda, lebara, talk mobile, voxi I believe).  It can be useful for finding your tent, car, campervan, whatever 😊

I tend to be fine finding people and my tent etc, it tends to be the people in my group who have no sense of direction and are mostly all technophobic. 

Mostly my argument for flags is selfish because of my heavy interest (probably due to my autism) in flags. I literally go around all day at festivals quizzing myself. 😂

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, Simsy said:

Don't know about the Google 1 but what3words uses GPS and doesn't need a data signal (it won't load the background map if you're offline, but you don't really need that at glasto). You just need to wait 30 secs to 1 min after opening it so it can get a more accurate location for you.

Great if it works, as in being reliable.