Glastonbury Thursday

BigMarv

It’s just too busy.

Far too busy.

Dangerously busy.

At a guess, maybe 80-90% capacity?

The issue is that with a huge crowd & lack of big names, then the medium sized acts on the Thursday become hugely overcrowded (Mel C, Sasha last year. Example, Eats everything this year). Those acts that wouldn’t command 20% of their Thursday crowds over the weekend become over subscribed.

Not sure the solution, but Thursday needs to be re-thought.

• Upvote 1

We tried to get to Example at the Glade 40 mins before he started, and it was f**king mental. Only time in my life that I've been concerned being in a crowd, people had nowhere to go at the end as the exit was being blocked by people stood watching. Not a huge fan of Thursday so far, ngl

Honestly this was my biggest problem last year, in hindsight I now know I shouldn’t have bothered with Shadowhawk Duo on the bandstand, but in previous years there wouldn’t have been anywhere near as big a crowd for a bandstand act…it’s purely because it’s something to watch. Not that they aren’t awesome. 

I‘ll be taking a camper if I get tickets for next year so might just hide out in it on the Thursday until the evening 🤔

Edited by LoraMaze

1 minute ago, JayDiesel said:

We tried to get to Example at the Glade 40 mins before he started, and it was f**king mental. Only time in my life that I've been concerned being in a crowd, people had nowhere to go at the end as the exit was being blocked by people stood watching. Not a huge fan of Thursday so far, ngl

That was predictable. I didn't even try, they just moved the problem from Williams Green to another small venue. The solution is more popular acts on Thursday evening, cutting one just causes everyone to go to the next best one.

• Like 1

If they’re gonna have semi-sizeable acts on on the Thursday then they need to make sure there are a lot more of them across the site to split the crowd. No good having one or two on and then f**k all opposite them. Obviously not everybody will want to go to them, but a hell of a lot of people will, and now that William’s Green is gone I imagine the problem has gotten even worse at other venues. 

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

If they’re gonna have semi-sizeable acts on on the Thursday then they need to make sure there are a lot more of them across the site to split the crowd. No good having one or two on and then f**k all opposite them. Obviously not everybody will want to go to them, but a hell of a lot of people will, and now that William’s Green is gone I imagine the problem has gotten even worse at other venues. 

Lottery winners was 1 in 1 out at strummervile. Glade was packed for Example and green peace was packed at the same time. 

2 minutes ago, chazwwe said:

Lottery winners was 1 in 1 out at strummervile. Glade was packed for Example and green peace was packed at the same time. 

Tbh, with a festival the size of Glastonbury that routinely packs out the likes of the Pyramid field, I suppose there isn’t actually too much they could do to lessen the Thursday crowds. Obviously licensing restricts what stages they can have active on the Thursday, so basically boils down to get there insanely early and camp out if there’s a must see act for you and settle with the fact you’re probably gonna be crammed in as more people arrive, or just avoid the stages/acts that day, which is a bit of a shiter of a Plan B but hard to think of an alternative and realistic solution. 

I think the rise of smartphones and social media has contributed a lot to this, before them, you'd hear rumours about acts playing but nothing was confirmed so not everyone bothered going to check them out, these days, everyone knows about the 'secret' sets well in advance which makes more people try to attend the gigs

I feel I must have just gotten really lucky with my navigation of yesterday evening - aside from when I left Avalon to go to Greenpeace about half seven (going against the sea heading to SEC). I was really surprised when at 10pm I decided to join my friends at Truth stage for Skindred - headed down from Theatre and Circus, walked straight into SEC, little busy turning the corner into Shangri-La but I was actually able to find my friends deep in the Truth crowd without any discomfort or difficulty. Apparently our other friends tried the same roughly ten minutes later and got nowhere 🤷🏻‍♀️ Number of them had talked about the awful time around the Glade for Example earlier though.