Not seeing Elton FOMO

Little Andy

With big talk of Elton's performance, is there anyone else who's not intending to see him, but slightly fears its a mistake?

For me, I'm not into his music, but I don't hugely dislike it either. But I've got hugely into Alt-J this last year, so am really looking forward to that instead. Plus I'll try and catch the end of Elton if I can.

I remember last year I saw McFly at Glastonbury, and everyone around me was loving it and I wasn't feeling it at all. Made me feel like a miserable old man. So hopefully I'm making the right choice here! But .... FOMO!

Not to be mean to them, but you can see Alt J any where If you have FOMO already, just go see Elton.

Elton will be a completely different but unintimate experience, and he will feel ages away. Lots of flags. Possibility for annoying Sunday Pyramid people. But it will be a big field singalong and probably "a moment" if you want something on the epic side. But, that might not be your bag. It's very personal. 

Also, it may or may not bother you, but when you get some everyone's going to ask did you see Elton. Might get annoying saying you saw Alt J. 

11 minutes ago, Little Andy said:

With big talk of Elton's performance, is there anyone else who's not intending to see him, but slightly fears its a mistake?

For me, I'm not into his music, but I don't hugely dislike it either. But I've got hugely into Alt-J this last year, so am really looking forward to that instead. Plus I'll try and catch the end of Elton if I can.

I remember last year I saw McFly at Glastonbury, and everyone around me was loving it and I wasn't feeling it at all. Made me feel like a miserable old man. So hopefully I'm making the right choice here! But .... FOMO!

I'm in the same boat...

3 minutes ago, Festival Liam said:

Also, it may or may not bother you, but when you get some everyone's going to ask did you see Elton. Might get annoying saying you saw Alt J. 

I love watching their face turn from excitement to horror....

" Oooo did you see Coldplay??" - No, I saw a random band who you've never heard of, I promise you, and I thoroughly enjoyed it thanks...  "why didn't you see Coldplay" - Because its music for people who buy their music in Asda.... "HORROR!!!!"

Or alternatively, if its your gran, just lie and say you were there...

• Upvote 3

You'll have ample opportunities to see Alt-J, even see them at Glasto again, very much a one off for Elton. I listen to QOTSA far more, but seen them before, and will be seeing them again, won't be with Elton. But again, each to their own and try enjoy whichever you choose without worrying whats going on elsewhere

15 minutes ago, Little Andy said:

Same here, luckily though I don't have much of an exciting alternative and my partner really wants to see him so the decision is made. 

I did do what you're doing for Rolling Stones though (who I like a lot more than Elton but just couldn't hack the crowd) and don't have any regrets. 

You'll have fun whatever you do. 

If unsure see the thing you aren't going to see again.  I'm not much into McCartney but thought had better go as the chances of seeing a Beatle again were low.  would rather have been at Roisin Murphy or Jamie T.  Best decision I have ever made,  one of my best ever Glastonbury experiences and I have seen Roisin since and I'm sure I will get a chance to see Jamie T (although they did both look great on iPlayer)

3 minutes ago, Gacheezbo said:

You'll have ample opportunities to see Alt-J, even see them at Glasto again, very much a one off for Elton. I listen to QOTSA far more, but seen them before, and will be seeing them again, won't be with Elton. But again, each to their own and try enjoy whichever you choose without worrying whats going on elsewhere

I get this logic, I'm thinking I might go along for a bit watch the start of his set, If I enjoy it stay, if not go see what else is going on

• Like 1

If you don't like Elton all that much don't go.

I made the mistake with Paul McCartney last year thinking it would be a spectacle for the ages, but ultimately I got there and after 4-5 songs remembered that it's just not my vibe, I went instead to watch Meghan thee stallion which I don't regret at all - my only regret was not going from the beginning.

I will be at Elton this year because there are too many songs I love and I know I will enjoy it - I'm gutted to miss QOTSA but I've seen them before and probably again, so this one I am happy to skip them for that headline act.

If you DO like Elton though, then I think do it, because you will have the chance to see Alt-J another time.

17 minutes ago, JA_Watts said:

I'll be sad to miss the event that will be Elton but I cannot bring myself to miss one of my favourite bands ever in QOTSA. I'll be happy to watch Elton on the highlights once I'm back home. 

Poeple have said to me that I can see them again which is true but when I can I see them at my favourite place again? Another 12 years ? Nah. 

I'm not passing up the chance to see one of favourite bands at the farm. 

Edited by Xeph1995

I’m not a huge Elton fan and could easily go see something else, but the talk of potential guests and the FOMO of some proper Glastonbury moments is swaying me into seeing him.   But if it’s not grabbing me after a few songs I will decamp elsewhere. 

53 minutes ago, bexj said:

I love watching their face turn from excitement to horror....

" Oooo did you see Coldplay??" - No, I saw a random band who you've never heard of, I promise you, and I thoroughly enjoyed it thanks...  "why didn't you see Coldplay" - Because its music for people who buy their music in Asda.... "HORROR!!!!"

Or alternatively, if its your gran, just lie and say you were there...

Oi 🙂 

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, themunn said:

I made the mistake with Paul McCartney last year thinking it would be a spectacle for the ages, but ultimately I got there and after 4-5 songs remembered that it's just not my vibe, I went instead to watch Meghan thee stallion which I don't regret at all - my only regret was not going from the beginning.

To be fair, if you had waited until the last 90 minutes, it was.

We watched Alt-J instead of the Foos and kind of regret it, (but now we can see Churnups this year).

We watched The Flaming Lips instead of Gorillaz, no regrets.

I watched The Flaming Lips instead of Radiohead, no regrets. My wife went to some of Radiohead then managed to get into centre of Park to find us for FL, impressive, we were immediately in front of the small stage that he rolled out to in the Zorb! She was happy to have managed to do both.

I guess the theme of the different answers is that it’s very difficult to decide. Nowadays we kind of do the “looking for a moment, watching really old people before they retire/die”, especially for the real legends like Macca and EJ.

3 minutes ago, strummer77 said:

To be fair, if you had waited until the last 90 minutes, it was.

40 minutes ago, themunn said:

I will be at Elton this year because there are too many songs I love and I know I will enjoy it - I'm gutted to miss QOTSA but I've seen them before and probably again, so this one I am happy to skip them for that headline act.

If you DO like Elton though, then I think do it, because you will have the chance to see Alt-J another time.

Joking here a bit - as to clarify, I miss loads of 'must sees' (Diana/Lionel/The Who etc) as they're not my bag and almost never regret it. 

3 minutes ago, Chip Batch said:

I went to see Diana Ross last year as I never usually see the legends, it was OK and a nice atmosphere but got bored. I wish I'd just gone to see Fontaines or Amyl and the Sniffers as I originally intended.

Strong agree! See also Kylie. Hoping Cat Stevens is better. I know it won’t be a party but DiRo and Kylie both felt a bit like fake parties. Obviously I am in a minority with that opinion though, which is fine. We left DiRo and went to see Chris Difford in Acoustic.