Primavera Sound 2024

UsernameHere

7 minutes ago, Quadrophobia said:

My guess is that there was a last minute reshuffle in day splits, because of which they couldn't announce the splits like they wanted to and put together this poster w/o the usual fine tuning.

Maybe they had planned for Lana del FRidEY and SZAturday but that didn't work out.

I think it’s stronger to sell weekend tickets on the basis of all acts rather than day splits straight away so people who really want to see a particular act will buy a weekend ticket and then they can sell day tickets at a later date. Not sure the weekend has enough in the upper card to sell weekend tickets by the bucket load if day two of the bigger acts are on the same day so makes sense to do it this way. 

Edited by foolee

1 minute ago, foolee said:

I think it’s stronger to sell weekend tickets on the basis of all acts rather than day splits straight away so people who really want to see a particular act will buy a weekend ticket and then they can sell day tickets at a later date. Not sure the weekend has enough in the upper card to sell weekend tickets by the bucket load so makes sense to do it this way. 

Amongst my friends, people are specifically waiting for day splits, because they want to make sure the acts spread evenly before investing in a weekend ticket. Works both ways

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, xxialac said:

The poster design is deliberate. It's meant to look like a retro poster and its graininess etc is a nod to the past.

Unfortunately they forgot to think about how people will lack this context and as such it it just looks like it was knocked up by Steve from accounts 'giving it a go'.

Aye I get the vision behind the aesthetics, I just think the delivery has been rushed, or if it is an attempt to shift weekend tickets first, then short-sighted. 

10 hours ago, Daniel Ferreira said:

There could even be 100 profiles... what is certain is that @YunT got it right!

What disappoints me is that, in the middle of the correct names, are dropped many other names that creat buzz, but that @YunT knows that they will not be there (i guess?). I don't care about JA (saw them once and that's it), but why be correct that they will be at Azkena Rock, you even know that they will be announced on a Monday, you say that they will be at PS and then...

And I can't believe that "oh, they dorpped last minute". Kylie, JA, DCFC and so on, all dropped last minute?

Still nice to have an insider (and I beleived @YunT since the beggining, because last year he/she also were correct in some names).

4 minutes ago, MeMeMeM said:

What disappoints me is that, in the middle of the correct names, are dropped many other names that creat buzz, but that @YunT knows that they will not be there (i guess?). I don't care about JA (saw them once and that's it), but why be correct that they will be at Azkena Rock, you even know that they will be announced on a Monday, you say that they will be at PS and then...

And I can't believe that "oh, they dorpped last minute". Kylie, JA, DCFC and so on, all dropped last minute?

Still nice to have an insider (and I beleived @YunT since the beggining, because last year he/she also were correct in some names).

Thing is YunT probably doesn't get told a list of bands that will be there, but some sort of "we are in final talks with" sorta information. And while Mitski etc. were predictable, nobody could have seen American Football coming w/o insider info, its just too small of an act to be a random guess.

In terms of Janes Addiction and Camera Obscura, I can totally see them doing Ciutat shows so I'll wait for that, before I pass judgement.

I mean, I told everyone a thousand times to be careful with "leaks" even from a trusted source

15 hours ago, Marty76 said:

I recently discovered Model/Actriz, really good band. Also like Arab Strap, Tropical f**k Storm, The Last Dinner Party, Voxtrot and Brutus.

Model/Actriz are phenomenal, saw the at a super intimate gig and it was really good! Brutus and Voxtrot are also killer. THe Last Diner Party are gonna be the next big thing, sorta the way Wet Leg went. Saw them live two months ago and it was good, but there is still some potential for improvement.

Other recs:

William Basinski - okay this is something specific, but if you are into ambient, The Disintegration Loops are amongst the best records out there. Must see for me
The Armed - beautifully chaotic Noise Pop, very energetic
Water from your eyes - Very good Art-Pop Band
Wiegedood - If you like Black Metal on the Gaze side, these are your people
Mandy, Indiana - Industrial Post Punk, not the most accessible but once you're in its a ride
Billy Woods - maybe the best Rap Project out there currently for people who otherwise aren't big on rap
El Mato a un policia Motorizado - Nuevas Discos is one of the greatest songs i ever heard at PS, check a live version
Yeule - one of my AOTYs. She is what I wish Grimes would've gone for.
Sofia Kourtesis - Beautifully melodic House Producer, don't think ive ever been so hyped for an electronic act at PS outside maybe OPN
Julie Byrne - Also one of my AOTYs, etherical Singer, Songwriter Project, probably comparable to Weyes Blood in terms of style
Eartheater - can't really define her. Intersection of Art-Pop, Folk and Ambient

Edited by Quadrophobia
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 3

35 minutes ago, foolee said:

I think it’s stronger to sell weekend tickets on the basis of all acts rather than day splits straight away so people who really want to see a particular act will buy a weekend ticket and then they can sell day tickets at a later date. Not sure the weekend has enough in the upper card to sell weekend tickets by the bucket load if day two of the bigger acts are on the same day so makes sense to do it this way. 

Surely if they thought that they would have already implemented that strategy in the last 10-15 years.

It is so unusual for them not to provide the day splits yet.

30 minutes ago, MeMeMeM said:

I still think that more names might get added at a later point and were not added because they haven't announced tours. I mean not big names like The Cure, Bad Bunny and Karol G, but maybe something smaller like Sampha. And I also think that Kylie Minogue might get added at a later point. 

33 minutes ago, MeMeMeM said:

They were not more correct than 50% of the people here taking guesses. I think they were mostly successful at trolling this forum. That is a lesson for next year!

1 minute ago, festivalguy97 said:

Quite curious to see how Sonar is going be. They already had Aphex Twin, doubt they will have Fred Again and so on. And Primavera took Justice, Disclosure, Peggy Gou and more, let's see, gonna be fun to see.

Underworld? 
gutted for the smile. Also, it’s definitely a fresher act than the national. Not worth comparing the two. 
On a side note, I have already seen the smile in their first tour so I can live without them at the festival. 

very excited for Fka twigs, if they booked her as an exclusive I think she might have an album at least as big as Magdalene 

Could the lack of daysplits be down to PS judging how popular the lineup is as of now? If fansale registration numbers are low and first week sales are poor, perhaps 5-10 of the lowest-tier acts could be shifted to the Ciutat gigs and a few new/bigger names added to the main festival prior to splits?

Either way I’m not going to rush and buy a ticket this year as the majority feeling in my friend groups (and seemingly socials/forums/reddit) is that of disappointment. I think it could be easy to get a bargain ticket perhaps the month before the festival as I do not see a resold ticket getting anywhere near face value for this edition..

6 minutes ago, emmanuel said:

They were not more correct than 50% of the people here taking guesses. I think they were mostly successful at trolling this forum. That is a lesson for next year!

Hmm, I dunno. Seem to recall @YunT mostly nailed it last year (it's highly unusual to get insider info) and was spot on with some other things like Azkena and Jane's Addiction. And has always said that the names are third hand i.e. shared by someone else.

I'm grateful for him/her being on here, please stay!

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Float said:

Could the lack of daysplits be down to PS judging how popular the lineup is as of now? If fansale registration numbers are low and first week sales are poor, perhaps 5-10 of the lowest-tier acts could be shifted to the Ciutat gigs and a few new/bigger names added to the main festival prior to splits?

No chance. I don't think there's anything cynical behind this, they just haven't got certainty of dates near the topline and don't want to have to reissue the poster.

On a side note, I’ve just listened to Stella Maris for the first time 😅 All I’ll say is seeing them, Tropical Fu*ck Storm and Phoenix back-to-back-to-back as the introductory day is the sort of random mix of emotions that I do love about this festival. 

On a side note, I’ve just listened to Stella Maris for the first time 😅 All I’ll say is seeing them, Tropical Fu*ck Storm and Phoenix back-to-back-to-back as the introductory day is the sort of random mix of emotions that I do love about this festival. 

Spanish teenagers are going crazy over Stella Maris being booked. Apparently they’re a fictional band on Spain’s #1 TV show and Amaia - who is huge in Spain - is part of the group. I think that’s their unexpected booking this year 

Heh. Stella Maris is definitely in the category of so awful, it's brilliant. Think the songwriter is Hidrogenesse, who played last year.

2 minutes ago, diogozsz said:

Spanish teenagers are going crazy over Stella Maris being booked. Apparently they’re a fictional band on Spain’s #1 TV show and Amaia - who is huge in Spain - is part of the group. I think that’s their unexpected booking this year 

Can confirm that my spanish friends that don't even go to Primavera are crazy about this and are considering going only for Stella Marris.