Primavera Sound 2024

UsernameHere

How did the SA shows go down last year? It seems like they have had their hands burnt with Madrid and LA.

The lack of bigger Spanish speaking names definitely seems odd. Big hip hop always seemed like a struggle on paper for this year, if it wasn't to be Travis Scott.

Whelming is definitely the right word now, but it'll still be excellent when we get there!

14 minutes ago, JedTheHumanoid said:

150 names. does seems a bit less than usual

but they have enough headliners, don't see anything added there, and also the second level seems to be complete

maybe they're back to the old way, when they later added bits/hidden stage/ other additional names

I mean a lot of names are still going to come plus all the Boiler Room stuff. But still, I don't want to seem like I'm hating on the lineup, I think that it's really back to classics, but it feels empty and somewhat dull.

Maybe they are waiting for a big name like Bad Bunny or Karol G to drop their names, but then again why wouldn't they wait a bit? Why's the rush?

I think I will only make my final conclusions on this lineup after all the other festivals (Glasto, Roskilde, BBK, Mad Cool, Nos Alive, Roskilde and others show their lineups), because if the other lineups are bad then this lineup will be understandable. Last year it was the case, in the first glance Primavera lineup seemed bad (to me) but then all the other Euro lineups were so bad and empty so Primavera seemed to be pretty nice. 

5 hours ago, festivalguy97 said:

Any final predictions???

I think we need to be honest with each other and ourselves. That’s pretty meh.

As I alluded to before I don’t have a problem with any of the headliners individually, I think they are a pretty dour  looking bunch as a collective. It doesn’t look like much “fun” from a headliners perspective. 

For the “Ying” of a Nick Cave type you need the “Yang” of a Tame Impala type.

I don’t think it will sell well at all.

The lack of Air, Walkmen, LCD Soundsystem, The Smile is quite deflating.

The lineups are on a downward trend year on year for me. 

Does that lineup justify the expensive few days in Barcelona I wonder….

5 minutes ago, Drums Please Fab said:

I think we need to be honest with each other and ourselves. That’s pretty meh.

As I alluded to before I don’t have a problem with any of the headliners individually, I think they are a pretty dour  looking bunch as a collective. It doesn’t look like much “fun” from a headliners perspective. 

For the “Ying” of a Nick Cave type you need the “Yang” of a Tame Impala type.

I don’t think it will sell well at all.

The lack of Air, Walkmen, LCD Soundsystem, The Smile is quite deflating.

The lineups are on a downward trend year on year for me. 

Does that lineup justify the expensive few days in Barcelona I wonder….

I mean some years ago we would have Paramore, Olivia Rodrigo plus a bunch of smaller artists like Lil Yachty, Air, The Smile, Samoa and so on. Now these artists prefer to do solo tours because now any mid size band can charge 60 to 100€. Festivals are kind of dying a bit. SZA for example did her euro tour this year, that’s the only reason she’s coming to festivals. Pulp wouldn’t be headliners 2/3 years ago, now they are. Mitski wouldn’t even be on the second line, now she’s almost a healdiner. Times are changing. We just have to accept. It’s annoying for my wallet, now I have to spend a lot of money to see The Smile, Sampha and others outside Primavera and pay huge amounts. The Smile are coming here to Denmark to play in a small arena and the ticket is 75€. That’s f**king crazy.

Edited by festivalguy97
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Martin_89 said:

Well, Mitski is now much bigger and have more monthly listeners (on Spotify) than for example Tame Impala.

she was great last time, but really didn't strike me as someone who can handle the main stage. seems much fitter to smaller ones

plus I much prefer her older stuff, but that's me

Instead of heavily rumoured/guessed Travis Scott, Bad Bunny and Karol G, I've got Vampire Weekend (didn't see it coming), Phoenix (missed them in 2022 - twice) and Justice (didn't even dare to hope). So yeah, headliner-wise smaller than expected, but definitely can't complain.

• Like 1

Well I guess an underwhelming Primavera is still a good Primavera.  No Devo or surprises like Mr Bungle, Fiona Apple, Max Richter etc... but then again Lana, PJ Harvey, Pulp, Clipse, BADBADNOTGOOD, Freddie Gibbs & Madlib plus Jessica Pratt I'm more than happy with.

Edited by livenstu

Yes the headliners seem weak this year when compared to the past two years especially, but the ones that are “missing” are the big pop and rap acts: Karol G, Bad Bunny, Travis.. who no one on here was going to see anyway. 

looking at the lineup I may only be in Mordor 2/3 times.. Pulp, PJ, Justice.. which is a pretty exciting prospect 

just as an aside too, not sure if anyone from the fest organization team lurks on here, but booking Pulp means so much to me. They’re my favorite band, who prior to last year I never thought would give it another go. I know with them being around last year some of the excitement or exclusivity is maybe not there, but I personally cannot wait to see them at the forum. (Can we get em for a ciuat gig too!!)