Saving camping spots

Klavius

2 hours ago, Klavius said:

At the risk of being exiled from the forum. 

Our party is arriving at various points throughout the day due to coming from various different cities. Is it frowned upon to hold a spot for a few latecomers?

Unless you take their tents to put up, which we have done, I'd say it's a definite no-no.

1 hour ago, clarkete said:

Just do what my dog does.  If you want to claim a piece of grass just tinkle a couple of drops of your wee. 

1 hour ago, philipsteak said:

One of our mates held a spot in the Oxfield by crashing out face down next to the tents with a stinking hangover and not moving for the 6 hours we were out exploring on the Tuesday. The field had really filled up around us by that point but no one was too close to us though.

I mean I wouldn't put it past him

My first year in 2005 we ended up (after a lot of searching in the heat for a spot) pitched in an area in Oxleyers which someone had been saving for a mate. It was a big space and we went to one side of it. Their mate ended up very close to them. They were not happy about it but we’d had enough of looking. Once set up we walked over with a box of Stella and shared them around. This helped and a good time was had by all. 

well except my mate who went mad the first night on mushrooms and skunk and had a terrible festival! 

He’s never been back 😝

4 hours ago, gfa said:

If you take their tents and set them up i see no issue.

Sitting on a chair and guarding it, using tape etc then your neighbours will think your a knob

I had to do this last year and felt awkward as f**k but luckily people all arrived before it got too dense.

Last year I managed to hold a spot for a few tents in a mid to outer field. One group liked the look of the spot I had my eye on and they wanted to save it for their friends too. Little bit of negotiation and we made sure both groups had the space needed for all the tents coming in.

Their tents actually ended up hiding the spot I had earmarked from the masses walking by

Just be nice to people wanting to camp near you. They’re in the same situation as you so no point being aggressive and territorial. 

4 hours ago, BBC7BBCHEAVEN said:

Doubt it would be possible.

We woke up once to someone having planted their little poptop tent right in the middle of our circle of tents. (We always face tent doors inwards so if it's bad weather we can at least chat from porches)

They knew what they were doing, just didn't care, and this wasn't even in a "prime" spot it was park home or dairy I think

This happened to us in Paines in 2011 I think it was. We had a circle of about 6-7 tents all opening into a small circle. Woke up Thursday to find a pop up tent completely filling it. How the hell they picked that spot I’ll never know. I basically fell over it when I walked out!

6 minutes ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

This happened to us in Paines in 2011 I think it was. We had a circle of about 6-7 tents all opening into a small circle. Woke up Thursday to find a pop up tent completely filling it. How the hell they picked that spot I’ll never know. I basically fell over it when I walked out!

We had it happen to us last year, a massive group of people (20+) were camped near us, one of their friends turned up late and plonked his tent right in the middle of our small circle….aside from it then being a pain for us to get out of our own tents each morning it also really made sitting at ‘base camp’ a bit crap for us as we couldn’t get a communal area going, and of course he just got up each morning and went and sat with his friends!

Twat!

15 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

We had it happen to us last year, a massive group of people (20+) were camped near us, one of their friends turned up late and plonked his tent right in the middle of our small circle….aside from it then being a pain for us to get out of our own tents each morning it also really made sitting at ‘base camp’ a bit crap for us as we couldn’t get a communal area going, and of course he just got up each morning and went and sat with his friends!

Twat!

if your circle isn't ridiculous i'd just get the first binbag of cans going early , make it seem a bit of a mess etc (obviously clean up once arrivals stop coming / campfire is setup) to put people off going int he middle

The Glasto motto “Don’t be a dick” is key here.

We’re a VERY large group (well in the 3 digits) and always manage to camp together. We deliberately choose a field which is usually quieter, spread ourselves out without taking the piss and of course welcome our neighbours with a smile and a beer. We’ve had people camp around us, join the group and become an integral part of it for years - they were neighbours and now they’re friends. 😊 

It’s the Glasto way. 😁

• Like 1

6 hours ago, EFC1996 said:

Your best bet maybe to camp at one of the quieter sites. My group normally camp on Darble and there’s always plenty of space for the ones who turn up later 

Was thinking it might be really busy with it being close to coach station? 

going to be staying round there and arriving mid afternoon for the first time and hoping there’s decent space for a couple of tents left.

15 minutes ago, gfa said:

if your circle isn't ridiculous i'd just get the first binbag of cans going early , make it seem a bit of a mess etc (obviously clean up once arrivals stop coming / campfire is setup) to put people off going int he middle

Yeh that’s a good shout…we went for a walk around the site about 4.30pm and by the time we came back at around 6 he had put the tent there.

it would have left a slightly less sour taste if he’d made an effort with us (saying morning at least!) and it was clearly a small circle (there was only 6 of us) and even when he came back one morning and saw us all sat down the side between mine and my friends tent he didn’t say anything about it. Perhaps he realised what he’d done and just avoided any convo about it.

he was quite young so I can only assume not very experienced in festival tent etiquette! 

6 hours ago, Johnnyseven said:

There's nothing that says i'm a twat quite as much as putting a rope around your campsite.

The first year I went there was 2 men who set up what must have been 2 5/6 man tents opposite each other and hazard tape in a rectangle so they had a huge space in the middle, way bigger than the footprint of the 3 tents my friends and I had. Everyone was giving them slightly dirty looks but nobody really said anything (when I was around at least) I assumed that they must have been a bigger party and more people were coming but over the entire weekend we never saw anyone other than the 2 of them. Can’t imagine they’d get away with it any more. 

1 hour ago, emilya1993 said:

Was thinking it might be really busy with it being close to coach station? 

going to be staying round there and arriving mid afternoon for the first time and hoping there’s decent space for a couple of tents left.

We camp there every year and arrive mid afternoon and it’s always quite quiet compared to the others, it’s a bit of a trek from everything but I find by the time we get back to our tent from the SE corner, we’re absolutely shattered and have no trouble sleeping 

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, theciderviking said:

The Glasto motto “Don’t be a dick” is key here.

We’re a VERY large group (well in the 3 digits) and always manage to camp together. We deliberately choose a field which is usually quieter, spread ourselves out without taking the piss and of course welcome our neighbours with a smile and a beer. We’ve had people camp around us, join the group and become an integral part of it for years - they were neighbours and now they’re friends. 😊 

It’s the Glasto way. 😁

Similar for our group although not nearly as big and we're in the oxfield but we've definitely increased our numbers over the years by befriending neighbours, especially people coming solo.