The churnups

a6l6e6x

19 minutes ago, AVALON.G said:

People know the foo's have hotel rooms???   How? 

Honestly if they were booked into a hotel some agent would just book a bunch of rooms. No way someone would know who they were for at this point.  They wouldn't be booking a hotel room for a Mr Grohl and others..     

So I file the foo's have hotel rooms in the made up bull. Pile of clues unless someone can tell you how they know that. 

Sane people claimed Eminen was in a hotel to perform last year...... didnt happen 

ask JoeyT - its his info

Absolutely nothing concrete pointing at Pulp right now vs multiple rumours and the Rock am Ring exclusive wording lol

10 hours ago, briddj said:

It's Pulp.

as i've said i would love pulp and would love to hear reasoning but just saying its pulp isn't an argument 

My take on it is Pulp.

This will be the last tour and I think most people thought they were nailed on to play but then they weren’t on the poster so a secret set makes sense. I’m not a massive foo fighter fan but they are one of the biggest bands in the world and to have them on to be followed by other bands doesn’t sit right with me. I don’t know how much say Arctics will have on who plays but I wouldn’t be happy to have to follow the foos. Will be like when Hendrix came to England and they got him to play before Clapton. Clapton rightly said how do you expect me to go on after that. 

Edited by Fred Zepplin

Foo's are proper headline spot and for them to come on and not even as a undercard but play before the undercard is weird. I feel like that way too big of secret act to play 

Also why give Guns n Roses a headline spot if Foo's could play? Feel like GnR have split opinions wildly and they would have suspected that. 

19 minutes ago, aj6658 said:

Foo's are proper headline spot and for them to come on and not even as a undercard but play before the undercard is weird. I feel like that way too big of secret act to play 

Also why give Guns n Roses a headline spot if Foo's could play? Feel like GnR have split opinions wildly and they would have suspected that. 

Blur and Pulp are also Glastonbury headliner acts with long histories with the festival.  Foo Fighters might be bigger globally, but they're the one act of the three that haven't delivered a classic, for the ages, Pyramid Headlining Slot.

13 hours ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Let's not get ahead of ourselves here. Pulp are great and all that, but they're not bigger or more widely known than Blur, even in the UK.

The band as a whole? No. Blur, Arctic Monkeys, Foos... all bigger bands than Pulp.

But Common People, the song in the context of the UK... I'd say it's more well known than anything by Foos, more well known than I Bet That You Look Good On The Dancefloor and probably better known than Parklife or Song 2.

I always think about my parents (in their 70s) when I think of stuff like this. They know Common People. They would probably remember Parklife but assume it was a novelty song. They've never heard of Song 2. In terms of songs of the 90s people can name, it's not that people would name 2 Pulp songs and 3 Blur songs and 4 Oasis songs. It's that the people naming 3 Spice Girls songs, 3 Boyzone songs and some stuff by Peter Andre *also* name Common People.

And it's not just the popularity at the time, it's that it continues to pop up on TV and on Radio 2 and such all the time.

Then the second part is Jarvis. He's on the BBC pretty often, there was the whole Jackson/Brits thing... he personally has a level of general fame in the UK that others don't. Damon Albarn can mostly walk down the street without people recognising him.

I'm not trying to argue one is bigger than the other or anything here. Just that it's a balance, based on how you measure it. Pulp's fame is disproportionate because of Common People and because of Jarvis being a beloved weirdo.

24 minutes ago, aj6658 said:

I'd argue Killers are similarly as big in the uk and they did it

I don't imagine Foos were even an option when GNR were booked due to Taylor's death, they likely hadn't even done the 2 tribute concerts in london by the time gnr were locked in

Dave Grohl is very well connected  - even just from bands playing over the weekend; Howlin Pele from the Hives, Rick Astley, Josh from QOTSA, Duff & Slash from Guns 'n' Roses...they've all joined Foo Fighters onstage.

I wouldn't rule out ChurnUps being a covers band. The caliber of the members would justify being placed so high on the bill, but wouldn't outshine the headliners.

3 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Blur and Pulp are also Glastonbury headliner acts with long histories with the festival.  Foo Fighters might be bigger globally, but they're the one act of the three that haven't delivered a classic, for the ages, Pyramid Headlining Slot.

I've still got Foo Fighters down as best headline set yet (in my 30yrs attending at least). I guess we're all different...

The Foos hotel rumour removed (and I remain skeptical, because I remember a similar ‘Eminem hotel booked’ rumour last year that lead to nothing) and the tenuous ‘Churnups’/Grohl band called Churn that we’ve never heard of before now, Pulp are the obvious act through and through. Noticeably absent from the lineup despite having a great relationship with the festival, not averse to doing the whole secret set thing, bits of info that they were playing before the lineup was announced and put a downer on the whole thing, and big and worth making a fuss over/having a fake name but not so big that it’s gonna cause mayhem come show time. 

I’ve flip flopped on it, but I’m going all in on it being Pulp now (until any other info comes to dampen that). 

Edited by FloorFiller
  • Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Franco Baresi said:

Do you know this? (or fairly confident)?

It would make my festival if true, but Nick Banks' tweet has made me doubt it.

When you read that tweat try and read it with sarcasm.  I've never heard of the churnups..  

For me the tweat "somewhere In a field in sommerset" kind of implies Pulp are playing. 

Then add in previous overcrowding issues and the council feedback.  Feels a bit like Pulp are too big to put on any other stage. I know people reference the Killers set and others.  But that was before the council pulled them up on  overcrowding. 

For me Pulp is the logical answer. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

The Foos hotel rumour removed (and I remain skeptical, because I remember a similar ‘Eminem hotel booked’ rumour last year that lead to nothing) and the tenuous ‘Churnups’/Grohl band called Churn that we’ve never heard of before now, Pulp are the obvious act through and through. Noticeably absent from the lineup despite having a great relationship with the festival, not averse to doing the whole secret set thing, bits of info that they were playing before the lineup was announced and put a downer on the whole thing, and big and worth making a fuss over/having a fake name but not so big that it’s gonna cause mayhem come show time. 

I’ve flip flopped on it, but I’m going all in on it being Pulp now (until any other info comes to dampen that). 

The churns / Grohl band thing isn’t tenuous… In my opinion it’s ‘THE’ strongest link for the name to anybody… And there’s sh*t loads of evidence out there dating back over a decade… Because you’ve never looked doesn’t mean it wasn’t there. 

For clarity, I think it’s Pulp too, but you can’t cherry pick to prove a point. 

2 minutes ago, AVALON.G said:

Then add in previous overcrowding issues and the council feedback.  Feels a bit like Pulp are too big to put on any other stage. I know people reference the Killers set and others.  But that was before the council pulled them up on  overcrowding. 

For me Pulp is the logical answer. 

Equally, Foos would be far too big to put on any other stage (I'd actually say far moreso than Pulp) so I think from a capacity perspective it could still be either.

7 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

All of the points you make about Pulp can be said about foos - relationship with fest, love a secret set, name makes sense for foos, have used secret names before etc

Two bits of info - the exclusivity clause and hotels dampen it but it seems your rejecting one and not acknowledging the other

Edited by gfa

1 minute ago, FloorFiller said:

I'm so on the fence that I've got splinters on my arse.

I'm starting to sway towards it being a supergroup more than anything at the moment.  Though I can't imagine there'll be anything concrete that'll give the game away until the Friday so we've got a lot of speculation / circular arguments to come!

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Yip.

The Bristol Hotel room rumour seems deeply suss.

Absolutely. They won't book in under band or individual names, it would be under a record company representative. The hotel info is shite unless it has come from the band itself...which it hasn't. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Pjonze said:

Dave Grohl is very well connected  - even just from bands playing over the weekend; Howlin Pele from the Hives, Rick Astley, Josh from QOTSA, Duff & Slash from Guns 'n' Roses...they've all joined Foo Fighters onstage.

I wouldn't rule out ChurnUps being a covers band. The caliber of the members would justify being placed so high on the bill, but wouldn't outshine the headliners.

Yeah but while  those bands are at the festival they are not all free on the friday 

There not hanging out at the fest they are on tour

They are most likely only at the fest for the day they are playing

7 minutes ago, Superscally said:

Absolutely. They won't book in under band or individual names, it would be under a record company representative. The hotel info is shite unless it has come from the band itself...which it hasn't. 

What if the info had come from within a record company...

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, The60ftOctopus said:

Apart from the RHCP 😉

There's an age old story (published by quite a few music news outlets) that GFL do not work with RHCP as they pulled out at the last minute many years ago. Given the controversy that still exists with Anthony Kiedis too, I'd say they wouldn't ever book them again.