Anyone else not 'feeling' it?

Chrisp1986

4 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

After that it could go either way, dependent on several factors: weather, overcrowding (or not) and the general vibe.

Can't see the crowds being any less, unfortunately, but the vibes will be on point. So, ask yourself: would I rather be in a busy field with good people, or in a half-empty aggy one? The weather, well...who knows? Not a lot we can do about that one.

See you in Silver Hayes...👊

Edited by Supernintendo Chalmers

Not going myself this year so obviously the build up has been f**king shite from my end ever since I failed in the resale, but from an outsider looking in, this year certainly seems a bit more muted build up wise, especially in comparison to last years ‘we’re f**king back!’ feeling.

Think the forum fracturing off has caused this a bit as there’s noticeably less traffic and hype here, and I think Emily kicking off the first lineup announcement basically apologising for some elements of it (like GnR) and talking about cut backs etc definitely started things on the wrong foot, as well as everybody just generally being skint now.

I’m sure the moment people step on site though that feeling will quickly be washed away.

Not missed one since 94. I now think I only keep going because the fear of missing out. Im not convinced I can keep doing it. I genuinely consider the festival is coming around too quickly! 😳

Edited by elbongo
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Stone_Love said:

Yeah me. I wanted my 5 year old and my wife to come with me.  The wife was insistent she would wait for our 16 year old's GCSE timetable. I encouraged her to just put the deposit down but she wouldn't be persuaded.  My last Glastonbury was 2017 - the year we got pregnant with our five year old.  In that time I have been a stay at home dad and have barely had a night away from our five year old.  I'm going with an old friend but without my wife and daughter I'm really not feeling it. My wife thinks it will do me good to go and be me but I'm far from convinced. 

25 minutes ago, marktea said:

Last year was my first since 2016 and I also went without my wife / family for the first time as volunteering solo was the only way I could get to go. It felt odd in all sorts of ways because I wasn’t sure how the volunteering would work out and it was also my first time solo. Based on my experience all I can say is that your wife is almost certainly right. I had a blast and hopefully you will too. Sure there will be moments when you wish they were with you but the Glastonbury magic is powerful stuff. Stay in the moment and let it happen… you will have a wonderful time I’m sure and will soon be looking forward to the many times in the future when you can all go together again. 

I get this too.

This will be my 10th Glastonbury and my 8th volunteering- the last 5 or 6 of those volunteering have been me flying solo.  On the build up to the festival I ebb and flow between looking forward to it and the excitement of the line up announcements and meeting up with friends (including a great bunch of folk off here) and feeling bad about naffing off for a week and leaving my wife in the lurch with the kids (though they are teenagers now so more self sufficient) and the dog and also these days the financial cost of going.  But my wife and kids are great and know that Glastonbury is my time where I can get away and enjoy the music/entertainment/catching up with friends and pretty much switch off from work etc.  I do miss the family and as marktea said there is moments where I wish they were there (e.g. the Cure's headline spot in 2019) but overall it is a positive experience for me.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Colorblindjames said:

Looking forward to it but the crappy lineup and cutbacks have taken the edge off it a bit for me. It'll still be a great weekend if it stays dry. 

What's this nonsense about a "crappy lineup"?

It's no better or worse than previous years, just different.

• Upvote 2

45 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Not going myself this year so obviously the build up has been f**king shite from my end ever since I failed in the resale, but from an outsider looking in, this year certainly seems a bit more muted build up wise, especially in comparison to last years ‘we’re f**king back!’ feeling.

Think the forum fracturing off has caused this a bit as there’s noticeably less traffic and hype here, and I think Emily kicking off the first lineup announcement basically apologising for some elements of it (like GnR) and talking about cut backs etc definitely started things on the wrong foot, as well as everybody just generally being skint now.

I’m sure the moment people step on site though that feeling will quickly be washed away.

Yeah same for me.

I'm at peace with the idea of not being there this year but it would have killed me if I wasn't there last year. Uninspiring line up on the big stages (Although I'm liking the look of the smaller stages line ups) and then obviously the fact I'm ticketless.

Everything will be getting muted come that Wednesday though and I'll be having a big sulk for a week or two as I pretend the best party in the world isn't happening.

I'm not feeling it this year, but that's because I'm burnt out from work.

In the last 2 months I've had to travel to Aberdeen, Dundee (twice), Kent (twice), Devon, Exeter (twice), Sheffield and the Shetlands all for work and some days doing 15-16 hours shifts. I've forced myself to stay at home for the next few weeks and I can feel my energy levels increasing and excitement building. 

41 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

What's this nonsense about a "crappy lineup"?

It's no better or worse than previous years, just different.

Meh. To many Djs and the headliners all over the site are mostly poor. The all male pyramid stage was a screw up.

Not enough indie bands for me. Still plenty to enjoy and discover I'm sure.  

1 hour ago, dondo said:

I get this too.

This will be my 10th Glastonbury and my 8th volunteering- the last 5 or 6 of those volunteering have been me flying solo.  On the build up to the festival I ebb and flow between looking forward to it and the excitement of the line up announcements and meeting up with friends (including a great bunch of folk off here) and feeling bad about naffing off for a week and leaving my wife in the lurch with the kids (though they are teenagers now so more self sufficient) and the dog and also these days the financial cost of going.  But my wife and kids are great and know that Glastonbury is my time where I can get away and enjoy the music/entertainment/catching up with friends and pretty much switch off from work etc.  I do miss the family and as marktea said there is moments where I wish they were there (e.g. the Cure's headline spot in 2019) but overall it is a positive experience for me.

I won't share a link. But, there is another forum where the thread title is - "Anyone else excited of getting rid of their f**king partner/wife/husband when the go to Glastonbury "

You would be shocked

😉

10 minutes ago, Colorblindjames said:

Meh. To many Djs and the headliners all over the site are mostly poor. The all male pyramid stage was a screw up.

Other Stage has yet to be announced and that’s where most of the bigger indie bands usually end up these days so you might still be in luck.

• Upvote 1

I think its understandable to feel like that after a great festival weekend. I always get a bit of a (natural not chemical) comedown after a great weekend anyway plus the work needed before Gbury (packing/getting there etc) might seem a bit overwhelming. But hopefully you'll feel better after a few decent sleeps. Go easy on yourself. If you're really not feeling it when you're there head home - you'll have given it your best shot. Just make sure you check out some stuff you're looking forward to first, do some random Glast stuff (wander around the theatre field), sit on the Park hill at night taking in the night sights and sounds and then decide. I hope that you end up having an amazing time. 

You can say the lineup isn't to your taste or whatever else, but I can't remember seeing this level of let-down from so many different places (here, my mates, reddit, the """""other place"""""", twitter, facebook) - everywhere I've seen generally it's gone down pretty badly. 

I think that's whats sold me on the fact it's a bit of a crap lineup this year, I've not seen anyone get massively excited - any praise seems fairly measured. If it was a matter of personal prefence there'd be more people raving about how they're missing out/ how excited they are.

Of course there's some great stuff (Four Tet, Slowdive, Carly Rae, Elton, Caroline Polachek for me) and we'll have a fantastic time, but I don't think anyone was itching to see Royal Blood stink out the place.

Made a conscious decision last year to not go for tickets. I nearly walked away from Glastonbury in 2019 but gave it one more go in 2022. That festival cemented that it’s no longer the festival for me in terms of line up etc. 

Was kinda hoping I’d have real pangs of regret today but no such thing. I’d be hugely disappointed with that line up, particularly the loss of Williams Green and no replacement. Having bands like PVA asking on insta how they can get to play Glastonbury rang alarm bells for me. Those are the sort of up and coming bands Glastonbury should be booking but I fear there’s no longer a home for that size of act.

And with the expansion of Stonebridge and the Arcadia field, Park is now another area being squeezed by dance music.

Edited by Keithy

8 hours ago, Chrisp1986 said:

Never thought I would be saying this but I am having doubts about wanting to go now!

I live for Glastonbury but just git back from an amazing weekend at Bearded Theory and feel maybe a little 'festivaled out'. Also, as I am going alone I am not sure whether to coach or drive alone (for 8 hours each way).

Anyone else not as excited as normal? Sorry to be negative. Think it's mainly as Bearded was so amazing and can't see how Glastonbury could match it!

My wife and I decided not to bother on t day and go on holiday instead, just didn’t feel it, a hangover from waiting 2 1/2 years for the 2020 erm 2021 no 2022 festival.

apart from Reg there’s little in the lineup to make us regret our decision, especially with what we are doing instead. 

just need a break from the pressure and hassle of the whole thing, especially t day. 

will probably try for next year.

I would never and could never not go having secured tickets though, far too hard fought for to do that.

Edited by Smeble

4 hours ago, Colorblindjames said:

Gender of headliners is still just as irrelevant as it has always been, only matters to tokenist box tickers