'Those who cannot be named' appreciation thread

Bike_Like_A_Mum

Thought this might be a fun topic...

You know how it goes... you meet people in a crowd or late night on the hill and you spend potentially  hours partying or chatting with them, never knowing their names. You share a connection, they help to make your whole festival and then you never see them again. Here's your chance to celebrate those people 😊

I'll start...

To the guy at Calvin Harris at Arcadia, who was sharing red wine in an actual cup and helped to get me on some womans shoulders...thanks for the giggles! Laughed so much that night!

To the guy flying solo, who we will only ever know as 'Fritty' who was such a laugh at Fatboy Slim set in Silver Hayes...what a legend! Cheers to you!

And to the junior doctors we met at the NYC Downlow when you thought my friend was on her own in the queue and we subsequently spent the whole night dancing with...Thanks for looking out for us and for an Epic unforgettable night.

• Like 8

We were sharing a table with a couple of guys last year in the Avalon Inn on Wednesday last year, and got to chatting to them, as you do.

We only popped in for a quick pint around 5ish, but we had such a enjoyable chat about everything and nothing with them (I seem to remember that they were involved in filming various festival related things), that before we knew it it was dark and the fireworks were going off.  

A great evening, but did result in a sore head on Thursday morning!

The group of lads I met in '19 watching Bastille on t'Other.  They had unidentified booze on the go; I had rum and some other things.  We shared, exchanged and collectively got pretty hooned, until they had to leave to go the bars for a shift.

The lovely lady and her family who kept an eye on me (or in the kids' case used me as an obstacle to jump over / hide behind) after Charlatans in '15 when I had to lie down and sweat quietly for 15 minutes 😂

And the charming chap in '17 who was there for the first time in something like 20 years with his mate to recapture a bit of their youth, who somewhat awkwardly asked me if I had anything for sale. Unfortunately I didn't, but I did happily send him on his way with a couple of pre-rolls and an instruction to have a good time. Never saw him again but I hope he had a blast!

Additions...

The group of Welsh lads in '17 that joined myself, @stuartbert two hats, @Seldom Seen Kid, @fatyeti24 and @H.M.V at @Sawdusty surfer's massive table in Croissant Neuf and got absolutely trollied with us.  One of the best afternoons I've had.

The bloke at Mik Artistik at the CN Bandstand in '17 who was walking through the crowd with a hand-pumped water mister helping to keep everyone cool in the heat.

• Like 1

The lad and friends who looked out for me when I had a hypo ( low blood sugar ) episode at arcadia last year , probably the one of the worst I’ve had since being a type 1 diabetic . I’d previously had one by the coop and had exhausted my supplies of glucose tabs . The symptoms can be mistaken for drunkenness . Anyway the stranger hunted for someone with sweets and stayed with me till me levels returned to . normal . 

oh and festival medical services who have their own thread 🙂 

• Like 2

To the girl in block 9 I fell in love with in 2013 and chatted to until the sun came up (the love may have been sightly chemical related!)

to the old boys we met in the real ale tent in the acoustic field (I think 15) and chatted absolute rubbish mainly sports related on a Thursday afternoon for hours

to the person in 2016 who walked me from the common to meet my mates as I was very confused and lost, you were a life saver 

To the Dutch guy we met before Arcade fire in 2014 who turns out had flown over solo just for that show. We lost him in the SE corner late that night but he was a legend (he might think he hung around with some weird blokes who were at least 10 years older then him)

1 hour ago, Barneym said:

To the girl in block 9 I fell in love with in 2013 and chatted to until the sun came up

Knew I'd love reading these. That top one is very romantic ️🫶🏼 love is love, you felt it (chemical or not) 🤣

10 minutes ago, Monty Pythagoras said:

Chilled with some wizard top of the park last year for about two hours then saw him at Dianna Ross and he didnt have a clue who I was

Was he talking about going through shamanic training and spending time with a witches' coven?

Friday night 2010…Had been to see Kissy Sellout in Arcadia when it was still located in the South East Corner…at about 4am I was with four other friends, a lot of drink and a couple of pills each, we were making our way back to our camp in Big Ground  and we got to the toilets at the meeting point in Williams Green, one of my mates was still rather ‘wild eyed’ and worried that he wouldn’t get to sleep quick enough before the impending heat coming up in 3-4 hour was shouting at the top of his head ‘weed, does anyone have any fucking weed?’ please I just need one joint to knock me out’

The rest of my mates were still in the longdrops laughing and I was trying to tell him to be quiet as he was starting to attract attention from the odd other spaced out wasters still up, and the security/stewards near us….but no, he continued.

Suddenly out of nowhere this man who looks like comic book guy from the Simpsons appears from the direction of Kidney Mead campsite walks right up to us, bpoints to my mates hand, he opens it and the guy puts a big clump of weed in his palm, closes it, and then walks off without uttering a word.

My mate with a look of disbelief looks at the weed, looks at the man and then looks at me and just says ‘I fucking love Glastonbury’

P.S We all slept very well for those 4 hours!

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, Bike_Like_A_Mum said:

Knew I'd love reading these. That top one is very romantic ️🫶🏼 love is love, you felt it (chemical or not) 🤣

Ha well I met my now wife 3 months after this Glasto and turns out she was also there and that is how we bonded on our first date. (Not the same person otherwise that would have been a much better story)

To the guy who pulled me out through all of the chair w*nkers and led me to safety at Ed sheeran as I was panicking and couldn’t see a way out (thought I’d either cry or piss myself or both) as I desperately needed the loo and didn’t want to stay for Ed - I was so close yet so far from relief it was unbelievable - thought he was going to pick me up at one point - he saved me that night and I’m eternally grateful.

We met a guy watching wetleg last year. Probably in his 60s, chatted for ages and he told us he was a retired spy which we totally believed as he was a bit cagey about it 🤣

Also met a couple with 2 kids watching Diana Ross - shared tequila and tonic

2015 met a fella that worked there and rode a push bike around the site - he gave us our first magic mushroom experience

1 minute ago, Babybell said:

@Skip997we spent most the weekend with him.  Long hair, played a nylon string guitar and my mate ended up having a jacuzzi with him on the sunday in the rabbit hole (I think) The water must have been rank after 5 days!

Ah

Maybe not the same guy.

To the person I chatted to in one of the crew bars who was reading Wasp Factory for the first time, I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did when I first read it (and I hope I didn't spoil anything by chatting about twists - I'd had a few beers, but I tried to be as un-spoiler as possible as far as I remember!)

To the guy at Fatboy Slim's Gas Tower set last year who, when I asked him to take a photo of me, realised I was by myself, and danced with me until ol' Norm finished. You made me feel seen and liked.

To the bartender at the bar by Williams Green, who initially made me feel a bit silly for thinking we had a brief spark of connection on the Saturday, but on Sunday interrupted her shift when she saw me to take a break to come and talk. If my ex wasn't there and my exit strategy didn't interrupt the last bit of the headliners, Kendrick Lamar might just have been our first date.

17 minutes ago, Babybell said:

@Skip997we spent most the weekend with him.  Long hair, played a nylon string guitar and my mate ended up having a jacuzzi with him on the sunday in the rabbit hole (I think) The water must have been rank after 5 days!

We met this guy. my mates spent a night with him in one of the saunas / bimbling round on mandy. We call him Jules the balls as when he came to our camp for a smoke, he had a "kilt" on (picnic blanket) with his nutsack swinging low and proud. Theres a photo somewhere but i'll leave it to your imagination

To the Irish guy who was also solo during Big Boi. We smoked, we drank, we moaned how our lame our friends were to go and see Coldplay instead.

To the guy I watched Spinal Tap with in roaring sunlight in 2009 who had come all the way from Australia, yet had spent the week in my hometown visiting family before the festival. Small world.

To the guy who let us have a dab of something naughty in the Park despite only just meeting him, then giving us a quick stern warning, who gave my group one of our longest running catchphrases of, "But don't take the piss." We still say it and have a chuckle.

To the dad and son/mum and son, we met on the way to SEC, who also needed to rest their feet. The six of us spent a solid 30+ minutes going over the festival, all different generations, diff states of being gazeeboed, all seen diff acts, all having such a great time.

To the couple who helped me out when I was stuck in a k hole in naughty corner last year. Genuinely couldn’t walk and was holding onto an artificial tree for dear life; then said couple came and took it upon themselves to walk me back to welfare tent to have a nice lie down. Bunch of legends. If you’re there this year, I owe you a pint 😂