Left field 2023

stuie

16 minutes ago, Alcatraz said:

Slightly questionable level of radicalism when Wes Streeting is on your bill

That also jumped right out of me. Though I suppose he'll be representing the centre / centre-right view.

Somehow, I don't think him saying anything about NHS privatisation would go down well at all and would probably (and rightfully) get booed at even suggesting such a thing

39 minutes ago, Alcatraz said:

Slightly questionable level of radicalism when Wes Streeting is on your bill

Eh? 

Shadow Health Secretary probably well placed for a debate entitled ‘Can we save the NHS?’

7 minutes ago, sisco said:

What actually happens at the radical roundup?  Is it another Jamie Webster set for instance?

The people involved take turns to play each other songs, and occasionally collaborate.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, churlie100 said:

That's Crawlers and Cavetown firmly added to the "if I'm around at the time pile". Need that clashfinder to drop (I know, I know, we're ages away).

Seeing Crawlers in Liverpool next week as part of that small venue week thing - if they're good they might go onto my Glastonbury list too!

8 minutes ago, stuie said:

Shadow Health Secretary probably well placed for a debate entitled ‘Can we save the NHS?’

True but it's more his position on the NHS as he wants to reform it without pouring money into hospitals.  This combined with accepting donations from American private healthcare providers raises some suspicions.

Still, a good thing to have some centrist representation.  Wouldn't be too much of a debate otherwise

1 hour ago, BambooShanks said:

True but it's more his position on the NHS as he wants to reform it without pouring money into hospitals.  

Strange take this. Not entirely sure Labour have ever suggested they wouldn’t spend significantly on the NHS (history shows that spending on health between 1997 and 2010 was more than in any other 13 yr period in the nation’s history) but yes, I don’t expect anyone with a clue about anything would want them to ‘pour money into hospitals’ without addressing some of the obvious structural issues affecting them. Reforms can be good you know; especially if they are reforming something that is clearly rubbish. 

2 hours ago, The Clearest Blue said:

Seen Tom A Smith before, he as subbing for someone but I can’t remember who! He was decent though, might of been Gang of Youths actually.

Yeah, I think you're right - pretty sure he did support Gang of Youths recently.  Tom played as part of the round up last year, and was pretty great.  He's got some excellent tunes, but goddamn he makes me feel old.    

2 hours ago, Blisterpack said:

Strange take this. Not entirely sure Labour have ever suggested they wouldn’t spend significantly on the NHS (history shows that spending on health between 1997 and 2010 was more than in any other 13 yr period in the nation’s history) but yes, I don’t expect anyone with a clue about anything would want them to ‘pour money into hospitals’ without addressing some of the obvious structural issues affecting them. Reforms can be good you know; especially if they are reforming something that is clearly rubbish. 

Glad it wasn't just me that thought this.  Being the first day back to work after BH weekend I was a little busy to enter into political debate this morning but I very much agree. 

I think most people that work in the NHS would agree that reforms are essential going forward but reform absolutely categorically does not mean privatisation.