The Future of Glastonbury

JayDiesel

Apologies if this isn't worthy of a thread (or in the wrong section/board/you get the idea), but I wonder how people are thinking Glastonbury will evolve in the future - and for how long?

Michael has spoken before about planning to end the fest in 2000, but continued following the death of his wife; and it feels as if the growing size, popularity and demand of the beast will take it's toll on the Eavis' at some point. Is this something often spoken about?

Presumably it's not going to end any time drasticallyyyy soon, but I would be intrigued to see how the fest develops even further over the coming years.

2 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

I could definitely see them (very reluctantly) relent and invite a selected group of sponsors/investors to contribute in the future. The model that's served them so well may be a little stretched with the abnormal increases in costs over the past few years. 

Previously some of the areas / things had sponsorship havent they ?  im thinking Smirnoff experience 

The future direction of the festival frightens me TBH.

It's already an "out of control" behemoth.

No idea how it could be scaled back or even stopped. It's become too important to the local economy and the UK.

It's become a British institution, in complete contrast to it's counter culture roots.

40 years from now, Emily Eavis, 83, will be telling us it was the best one ever and still the greatest show on earth.

While she is still the public face of the festival, behind the scenes, all of the booking and directive decisions are made by her three children. 

Festival Republic no longer exists. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 15

Just now, stuie said:

40 years from now, Emily Eavis, 83, will be telling us it was the best one ever and still the greatest show on earth.

While she is still the public face of the festival, behind the scenes, all of the booking and directive decisions will be taken by our AI overlords

Corrected for you

• Upvote 1

I can't see the short term future of Glasto being threatened. Surely they always have headliners booked three years ahead and although chatGPT could curate a great line up, I think most of it will be done by humans 😄 

Under Emily's stewardship I can see a few new areas being created. Really hope they open up a second area like the Park, which can get crazy busy sometimes. It's easily her best contribution to the festival so far.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, The Nal said:

With Covid, losses and the hassle of pulling a lineup together I wouldn't be surprised if this year was the last Glastonbury. 

LOL